Scented Geranium Swap (Pelagonium)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Blue, thanks for the reminders in your post! I hadn't emailed terre_ right away, as I didn't want to be pushy. But she may have simply lost track of this thread. So I send her Dmail just now.

You don't owe me anything from DeBaggio's. I figured you'd just like cuttings from the ones I picked up for myself in terms of silvery/trailing varieties (Cody's nutmeg, cinnamon), and the Prince Ruperts were really small. If I'd realized the 'Coconut' wasn't going to give us cuttings, I'd have bought you one... sorry about that. They didn't have the specific thymes you were looking for, but I'm layering the other ones I bought from them, and I should have little ones for you after a while.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I"ll go ahead and post my have list here, alot of these just came in, or are going to come in next week, so their not ready to trade. but this list is for those who asked what I had so they don't buy repeats.

SCENTED GERANIUMS

snowflake rose
nutmeg,
chocolate mint
apricot
Apple
Cinnamon
old spice
lemon crispum
lemon fancy
lilac rose
pineapple
celery
grey lady plymoth
crowsfoot
peppermint
Coconut
juicy fruit,
Ginger
Lime
Peppermint
orange
Robers lemon rose
Spanish lavender
P. vancouver centinnial fancy leaf
cybil homes
Fancy leaf platinum
Angel
Lemon Meringue
Frensham Lemon
Grapefruit
Lavender Lad
French lavender SG
Almond (Pretty Polly)
Clove
Golden Nutmeg
Varigated Nutmeg
pretty polly (almond)
golden angel
scarlet unique
candy dancer
french vanilla
joy lucille variegated
variegated nutmeg
pheasant’s foot
spring park
bodes peppermint

bluespiral, that list I sent you wasn't complete, I left off a bunch sorry, this is the complete list to the best ofmy knowledge ,

I sent you an email of what I want of yours, I don't know who your supposeto send it to since their not geraniums, if your supposeto be sending to bassetmom or me, we'll have to ask her. what she wants to do on that.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 12:15 PM

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

My list of geranuiums is as follows so far... the number is of cuttings TAKEN-- not nessarily rooted yet - since I just tooks some yesterday

Nutmeg (6 taken)
Lime (9 taken)
Prince rupert (6 taken)
Citronella ( 7 rooted - 4 med. size and 3 small)

have we discussed/decided what to do if someone doen't trade all thier cuttings-- Say I send 7 Citronella and only one person wants one or 2 -- do I get my leftovers back? does that other person get all the cuttings?

Heather

(Zone 7a)

Judy, don't have a digital camera so can't help you out there - also don't know off hand without research which ones are small with white flowers. Wish I did. I'm replacing my dastardly pink, aromatically leaved multitudes of Geranium macrorrhizum with G. Biokovo, which will seriously deprive my schnoz in that part of the garden.

Jill - wonderful! will be sure to put Cody's nutmeg, Cinnamon and Prince Rupert on my preference list here. Whatever I wind up with, I know I'm going to be floating high above ye Composte Pile - LOL

Kathy Ann - you have email back - will send you the lily and iris - our ideas have morphed a bit, so forgive me if I'm getting it wrong here, but I had hoped that, since at the beginning we did not have many SGs to trade, that we, as a group, could tempt you with other plants to join our swap. You've let me know you would like my lily and iris, so am sending them to you early this week. Maybe others in our group can tempt you too? I don't think any of us have words to tell you how much we appreciate your joining us.

Terre and Country Gardens might be able to participate in this way, too - but they don't seem clear on this point and need to know what you want that they could give.

Heather - If I'm not having another senior moment here, I was under the impression that if we sent in 7 cuttings, we would, hopefully, receive 7 back - just different from what we sent. At this point, although I do favor some types of SGs over others, I know I'll be overjoyed at getting the same number of rooted cuttings, but all different from what I started out with. And, if Citronella is one of them, I'm going to be thrilled.

Hope I haven't snarled anything simple into a tangle.
Karen

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Heather, that's a good question, I don't know how bassetmom is going to deal with that part of it. maybe if there's no interest in your citrinella other than the one person, just send in 2 or 3 cuttings right? not sure. I can't send in every cutting I've taken, it would mean 20 of this kind and l0 of another and l5 of another. when it comes down to the end here, i'm sure bassetmom will work out something that's fair for all of us.

Now how are we going to work out this trade bluespiral? if your sending me mine now. do I just send mine to Bassetmom when i'm suppose to, Most of mine are rooted now. If your going to send mine to me now, then I should go ahead and send yours to you as well. I emailed you about this . so just let me know which ones you want. There are a couple flats out there I just took cuttings of a week ago, that aren't ready. As far as others tempting me, I have wants already from bassetmom, critter, jutz, and I might have left out one or two, I don't have all of them wrote down. so if you others want something from me, let me know maybe send me a pm, so I can write it down.

As far as terre & country gardens, I did post above what other plants I was willing to take in trade, If they want to get in on this and want scenteds but don't have any in trade, and want mine in particular, I think bassetmom suggested further up that they or anybody else sending other things for my scenteds, could trade directly with me. I am getting very cramped on space here to put things without making a new garden, and my husband said he didn't want another garden LOL. So I have to take in only things i'm really wanting, such as named tb iris, dwarves, minis, any other iris, daylilies that I don't already have some hostas. There are a few geraniums rooting here that I'll send plenty of extras of, as the mother plants are huge, and I can take lots of cuttings off them, nutmeg, snowflake rose, platinum fancy leaf, chocolate mint, apricot, these are my biggest plants, and I can s end quite a few of these. The rest, I'll have to go out and take head counts on. LOL

I know I do have enough scenteds for those that have asked me for something in particular of. I have them wrote down.

I don't know what bassetmom will do if she gets 20 cuttings of nutmeg geranium, as I"m not the only one sending this one.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Okay, let's hash this out as a group...

My thought was that everyone would post what they are sending and I would post a final list of what was available, once everyone's plants are received and inspected. Then, you would each DGMAIL me a list of wants in order of preference.

From that list, I would then try to meet everyone's wishes. If you send x, you will get x back is the PLAN (note plan versus guarantee, I'd like to see us each get more given all the rooting above...). However, you may not get something on your list depending on how many people want it. I will be working with Critter on this so that I am not the only one making this decision.

In all fairness, if kathy_ann sends **10** different varieties (and already has the extensive list above) and someone else sends one, she will get her choice first because she has a more limited number that she may want in return. If that were not the case, it would not be worth it to her to do the trade. Does that make sense and seem fair?

To make this easier for me, maybe you could include a list of what SGs you own, along with your emailed wishes, so I don't duplicate your current haves. Kathy, having already done this above...

As for the non-SG plants, it would make $$ sense to send them with the SG's to me, clearly marked as to the recipient. Otherwise, you are again making multiple shipments and spending additional postage, something we were trying to avoid. This makes no extra work for me and I don't mind a bit.

Did I miss anything? Does this seem fair? If not, please let me know your thoughts and we'll decide as a group what to do. I only want to coordinate, not overpower here... This is supposed to be fun and rewarding to each participant and I want everyone to feel it was worth it in the end.

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

fair enough, LOL of course I'll think it's fair, I appreciate your doing that for me bassetmom, I'll not do any personal trades, willsend all to you, and they can send their other plants (not scenteds ) to you , marked for me, I don't ahve a problem with this, does make $$ sence or sense or cents LOL.

And I have worked out trades with everybody here that has emailed me. for things they want and things I want, you barb being my biggest trade yet LOL. I do thinkwe'll al l be in scent heaven when this is over with LOL.

Here are my emailed wishes so far from traders here. I haven't posted that yet. there are one or two geraniums listed here that folks want, that I only have one or two of, like the celery one for barb, that's the only one I have,

So far I'm sending these geraniums to these folks

bassetmom
i'm sending

Spanish lavender
Nutmeg
Choc. Mint
Lady Plymouth Rose
Celery
Cybil Holmes
Sweet Marium
Vancouver
Pineapple
Crowsfoot

Critter & juttz, I have down what I want from you, but not what you want from me?

Critterologist:
she’s sending:
cocoa mint rose
strawberry maybe diff from bassetmom's
attar of roses
southernwood

Jutz:
she’s sending I know this is just pending, she might not be able to get these cuttings, is she gone on vacation yet?
variegated peacock
pine
dr. livingston
Variegated Mint Rose.
12040 Rollinson's Unique -
11697 Mint Variegated -
9943 French lavender
9932 Blandfordiana -
9940 Copthorne -
9942 Filbert
I’m sending jutz:
grey lady plymoth
2 diff ivy geraniums, fushia and coral/salmon colored several rooted cutttings of each. could't get the white, there wasn't any vines there but the flwoers. sorry.
What else:?

here's what i'd love from bassetmom, you added a couple others, if you can do cuttings of them, if not no biggy at all.

Strawberry
Mint Rose
Lady Mary
Rollinson's Vintage
Wildwood Rose
Fringed Apple
Angel
Fingerbowl Lemon
Giant Soft-leaf Rose
Oakleaf
variegated mint
hansen’s wild spice would love this if you can.

Now, i'm headed out to the greenhouse to take a head count, and will be back with what exactly I have out there.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 11:49 AM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 12:46 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think there was a couple of tracy's I was interested in, have to go back up and check

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Kathy, got you printed out... Now we all just need roots...

Bluespiral, just reviewed this entire thread. Those cuttings I sent were for you, FYI, as I am rooting some for here. Just wanted to remind you...

Critter, did you send Terre_ and CottageRose emails about whether they were participating? I don't want to double your efforts or bug them but I also don't want to seem as if I ignored them.

Is this thread too long for anyone on dial-up? I hate to break it off to another one, given all the information here but I don't want to cause anyone undo downtime in loading the thread...

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok, it's hot out there, LOL, I just watered yesterday, jeese, I have to go back out and water again . never ending job

I do have a couple fancy leaves in here too.

vancouver centinal 5 (fancy leaf)
lemon crispum approx 4 or 5, these will be sent 2 cuttings per trade, since they are so tiny, and won't get any bigger than tiny cuttings either, this is a very tiny leaved ands temmed plant
lemon fancy 3
apricot l3
chocolate mint 11
nutmeg l5
snowflake rose l4
crowsfood 14
spanish lavender 7 these take the longest to root of all my geraniums, hoping they all root before send off time
sweetmarium 2 one is for bassetmom
pineapple 4
lilac rose 8
orange l2
grey lady plymoth 2 I think both are spoken for too
ginger 2
platinum fancy leaf l3
cybil holmes 2 one is spoken for
celery 1 spoken for, only one I can do cuttings of too. won't have any more of this for a while
juicy fruit 2

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kathy, I just wanted to clarify that we're doing this as a *swap*, where everyone contributes to and receives from a common pool of cuttings. Please don't think of it as a complicated way of combining individual trade arrangements. I appreciate that you're trying to send cuttings that others have expressed interest in, and we'll try to make sure you get as many varieties you're interested in as can be managed in return. I thought Barb did a good job of explaining how this will work. We'll do our best to be fair and to fulfill everyone's wish lists, but there are no guarantees, so we hope nobody will view their wish list as an order form.

Thanks to Bluespiral for offering the lilies & irises to Kathy! That way, if she has more cuttings that she could send than SG varieties she'd like in return, hopefully she'll send extra SGs in return for the other plants. I think there's a great spirit of generosity going with this swap, and I hope everyone will be delighted by the outcome.

I just got Dmail back from Terre_, and she said her SG isn't really big enough for cuttings. I didn't email CottageRose, as it seemed she was only posting to figure out where to purchase SGs, not to participate in the swap, but you could certainly check that with her if you like.

As for number of cuttings to send, I'll be trying to send 4 or 5 of whatever I can, but that depends on whether my small plants grow quickly enough for more cuttings soon. With varieties like 'Attar of Roses' or 'Cocoa MInt Rose' that there seems to be a lot of interest in, and my plant is big enough for lots of cuttings, I'll try to root enough cuttings that everone can have one if they want.

I'm not going to worry about coming out even; if I send 2 dozen cuttings (6 or 7 varieties) and get even 6 on my wish list in return, then I'll be quite content with the swap. I figure if I send too many cuttings and these are extras left that nobody wants, Barb can have them as a contribution to her Labor Day "Seeds of Hope" plant sale (fundraiser for National MS Society).

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree with your post, Jill, but given what Kathy has on hand, she has a limited amount she will want back so her wants above make sense. It will still all work out as we all hope, I'm sure, given that we are starting several from each of our plants. MY wish is that everyone gets more than they sent... As long as I expand my collection, I'll be thrilled.

I hope my new plants arrive on Tuesday. Kathy, I may be getting Frensham anyway as they called to asked for possible substitutions. I made that one of them... I'll amend my list when they arrive.

Barb (back to writing my novel...)

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Just wanted to let you know that I am still here, too! I took cuttings from all of the geraniums that I listed above...am a bit skeptical about the apple, as it is a very small leafed, trailing type. We did give it a go, though. We should have at least two each from our list to send in. I am also very open to what I receive in return. It will be fun! Kind of like a grab bag! We discovered, as Kathy Ann did (I think it was her) that the Golden Angel is not a Scented Geranium, but an UNUSUAL Geranium LOL! So shall we refer to it as a UG? HA! We made cuttings, but if there isn't any interest, it is OK. Will keep you posted as things go along.

Take care!

Tracy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Critter I DO understand what barb has said about the swap,

I'm not going to worry about this, I have a large want list, I just listed what I wanted from everybody. and listed what I have. If you want me to go back and take off all the names of the folks that I wanted those geraniums for then I will. I didn't list them like I was doing individual trades , I just listed them cause they were the ones offering them. That's all I did basically. and I listed what folks want from me in return.

I just don't see why I should send l5 of one plant when there isn't even l5 of us here. .
Honestly I guess i'm just confused here.

Sorry, sometimes you just have to spellit out for me quite a bit LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

never mind folks, I understand now. barb, disregard that mail I sent you.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I did contact hobbs about the golden angel, they did tell me it was a lightly scented geranium and a very unusual one. just so you know, LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, Kathy, I'm glad we're all on the same page! I was just concerned that there might be confusion when you starting listing what various folks were sending that you wanted & vice versa. Can you imagine what a tangle we'd get into trying to keep track of individual trades! LOL. I'm glad it turned out that I was the confused one. And nobody is expecting anyone to send 15 of anything -- I agree that doesn't make sense!

I'm especially excited about the spice & fruit scented geraniums people are rooting, and of course I love anything with a lavender scent. So that gives you an idea of what my wish list will read like! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry it took me a few days to get around to pictures....

Here's the 'Attar of Roses' geranium in a 10 inch pot. They get big, even with regular pruning!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here's the 'Chocolate Peppermint'. You can see the brown central markings developing on some of the leaves. For some reason, these markings seem to fade over the winter when it's inside.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Lime' geranium in the back and 'Coconut' in front. The Coconut is definitely growing quickly, but no sign of any stems that could be taken as cuttings; all the growth so far seems to be single leaf stems. The Lime gets tall, or would, if I didn't keep snatching cuttings.... looks like I can get a couple more soon!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Cody's Nutmeg' in front (with the white blooms) and 'Cocoa Mint Rose'

These pictures were taken in very bright sun. The 'Cody's Nutmeg' looks a good bit more silvery/grey than is shown in this light.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2005 12:44 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Strawberry' semi-trailing SG.... I see this one is about to give me another pair of cuttings!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Please hop over to the new thread at ...http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518115/

This is getting too long for some people to load.

Thanks!
Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Link didn't work, so I'm going to try to post it again here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518115/

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Critter! Yours worked. That's what I get for hurrying!

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I would love to participate in this, but I only have 1 type of scented geranium and it is an adult plant, but I have started a few cuttings tonight. Is it still open and how long will we have before we have to send the cuttings? I have P. radens "Dr. Livingston," rose scented.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2005 5:51 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Naien, we'd love to have you. C'mon over to the "Part2" thread. I've added your name to the list and let everyone know you're coming to play with us!

All the rules are posted there, too... cuttings are due to me by 7/30...

Barb

This message was edited Jun 14, 2005 9:14 PM

Riverton, NJ

I'm so sorry I missed out on this. I'm a scented geranium freak!! I grow about 26 types. I'm always taking cutting to bring in for the winter. Please let me know how this swap worked. It might be fun to try it for the summer of 07

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The swap never did get under way, we ended up canceling it. So you didn't miss anything LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

someone gave me a start of a scented geranium and it actually grew for me! I believe it smells like lemons. Is there lemon? Do I just bring it in for winter? It's still quite small. I would love to find more for next year. Karen~

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Scented Geraniums are tender, but in your zone they might be fine to leave out. Mine have survived a light frost, but can't take a hard freeze. There are any number of varieties that smell like lemon. :-)

I'm going to try to take some cuttings over the winter so I can share starts of mine this spring.... we'll see how that goes; it's possible the african violets may take up more than their share of room under the lights. LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I may have to get a light to keep some of my plants warmer. I'll probably bring this one in and try to get to the farmer's market to see if I can get some different varieties. The smell so yummy. Karen~
I do have 3 african violets now. My grandmother always had them.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Does anyone want to swap any pelargoniums? I have a peppermint-scented one, do not know the name of the cultivar, would love an intense rose-scented one. I can swap a rooted cutting for a rooted cutting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Should we start a new thread for swapping pelargoniums? This thread was about a swap that was cancelled, so it might be confusing that we've resurrected it.

I don't have rooted cuttings to swap now but could send unrooted cuttings when I trim back the SGs to bring them inside. I'm also planning to get cuttings underway over the winter. I have an intensely rose scented one called 'Attar of Roses' as well as a nice variegated one called 'Snowflake Rose'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.