Scented Geranium Swap (Pelagonium)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, I'd happily trade for seeds from pretty much anything you've got, LOL! That fuschia colored one sounds spectacular, and the white & burgundy one would be really lovely in the boxes on my mom's porch railing.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I haven't seen any other geraniums putting off seeds like the coocnut one does, but i haven't been concerned about them either, will start watching for seeds on the other scenteds, and will root some of the ivy geraniums too

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woo hooo! Kathy, you're a gem!

Kathy, I know we've got several varieties to interest you here, but PLMK if you're not finding enough SGs that you don't already have on this swap, and maybe I can send along some other herbs that might interest you, or post a "wish list" on this thread so we can share other plants in return for SGs. Barb, same goes for you, since I think you & Kathy are offering more varieties so far than the rest of us put together!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I'll tell you this, I was recently in a great big trade, ( I had sent mine 2 months ago) I haven't received theirs, it was for fragrant oriental lilies, that I never received, and I honestly believe something bad happened to this person, sick ness or something, cause she's a remarkable trader, soo, unless she gets better and posts here again, I'll never know how she's doing. Anyways, I'd love to get my hands on some oriental lilies, or any other kind of named lily for that matter.
and of course I'm always up for named iris's of any kind. But I guess that's about it for my wants. I am interested in pulmonaria varieties, but they are not in comparison to scenteds, meaning the price of pulmonarias are alot higher than scented geraniums.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My 'Immortality' Iris (white fragrant one) isn't very big yet, but I might be able to spare a fan from it. I think midsummer is an OK time to dig & split irises, as I seem to recall that Nicholl's sends theirs out in July/August.... ? I have a number of named oriental lilies, but this is just their second summer, so they haven't started spreading yet. Maybe I could interest you in creeping thymes? I have 'Transparent Yellow' that would look lovely around some blue irises, and I have several new varieties that I'm layering now. Well, we have time to work out the details.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I have some oriental lillies-- I don't know the names (lost em) once they bloom I can get some pics for you! I also have some Inspirsration Irsis

Heather

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

heather, I'll take unnamed ones too,

I have the immortality iris. and I've got about 15 diff thymes too LOL

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I hate to do this to you guys but there is a sale going on at the National Garden Association...19.99 for 10 scented geraniums..I looked at the garden watchdog..they have 1 positive...if you want the link..lolol..I can give it to you.....judy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, of course, we have to have the link Judy! LOL!!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

here you go..the only thing is I dont think they tell you what they are sending out of the groups....check it out and maybe you can find out more then I did...
http://www.ngagardenshop.com/campaigns/show/2272

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

your right, doesn't look like they tellyou what your getting, and more than likely there are quite a few I already hve in the group. I'll just have to pass on this one LOL

but you know what, next summer, (not this summer) we're going up to maine, and I think it's augusta maine, and just a hop skip and jump further up is guess what !!! HObbs farm LOL. guess where i'll be going. course that's a lifetime away he he

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Im going to swear since I was in Maine last summer and didnt know anything about Hobbs Farm until recently....oh well....Im getting quite a few already without the swap going on yet...lolol...judy

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi, folks! I just ordered the following SG's:

Apple Cider, Cinnamon, Dr. Livingstone, Fair Ellen, Hansen's Wild Spice, Lavender Lad, Lime, Nutmeg Var, Old Spice and Spanish Lavender. As soon as they arrive, I'll let you know which I can take cuttings from. It's a local place so they should come pretty quickly. And, any duplication from the above lists will just add to everyone else's pot. I hope to actually get to this grower within the next month, too. An adventure for me, but they claim to be almost completely accessible.

As for giving more cuttings, I wanted to do this because I have some to spare and love to share. No worries on my end as I know it will all work out in the end.

Heather, did you see yourself on the news?

Barb

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Barb, Im getting some cuttings from a trade too so we will have a ton to swap...also I have another place if anybody is interested...its a site I get tons of scenteds from and they are pretty resonable right now...Im not buying anymroe and really ticks me off that they are cheaper then Hobbs....oh well..I was sooo tempted this morning to get more...
http://www.papagenos.com/bounce.asp?pid=%2Fgeranium%2Ehtml

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

wonder if they have good feedback juttz?

bassetmom, all this SG swapping has got us nuts doesn't it, I think we've all bought scenteds for the swap LOL, I just got a notice that mine were shipped, that was really fast, so I should get mine this week, in the next few days, I can't wait, will take pics of them when they come in.

I definitely want that lavender lad, I think it's quite diff from the spanish lavender, I had the lavender lad and lost it a few years ago, and that hansen's wild spice sounds wonderful too.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

well Ive just ordered ove 20.00 worth from papas....gulp..now what am I going to do if they come when Im off on vacation...lolol.....
9974 Varigated Prince Ruppert -
9430 Variegated Mint Rose -
9407 Grey Lady Plymouth -
12040 Rollinson's Unique -
11697 Mint Variegated -
9943 French lavender
9932 Blandfordiana -
9940 Copthorne -
9942 Filbert -

Southern, United States

Ya'll have gotten me into trouble with this thread! I had no idea what scented geraniums were until I started reading this. I went to my local nursery and decided to check them out. I was so disappointed when I found only 1 that didn't smell like much of anything :( Yet my curiousity was peaked even more! I'm checking out the papa's page now and trying to restrain myself....we'll see how it goes :)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, Juttz, your as bad as me LOL, we are all so bad. my DH is going to kill me, good thing I made some extra money this week LOL. I'm not daring to go to papa's web site, since I already ordered some, and currently trying to get some lilies ordered. I better behave myself. but you know you got some I want LOL

9430 Variegated Mint Rose - is this like the other mint rose , no this is the variegaetd right? I have to have some of these LOL. now if i'm asking for more scenteds than you , remember I have abou t60 different mint varieties LOL and a ton of sedums, just bought autumn red, looks alot like autumn joy but this is really a red red flower.
12040 Rollinson's Unique -
11697 Mint Variegated -
9943 French lavender
9932 Blandfordiana -
9940 Copthorne -
9942 Filbert

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Also, how on earth are we keeping up with our trades, and who's getting what, with all these posts ? just wondering. I have a list going but Iknow it's missing alot. are we going to make final posts near the end with what we have to offer again?

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

well IM sure we will work something out...now to have the time to get them planted and get cuttings rooted...Im going to be gone for almost 2 weeks starting June 11th and just got an email from Papas saying it should be to my home before the 6th...hoping like crazy it si since my daughter who is getting our mail doesnt have the greenthumb yet...if I have to I will keave detailed instructions...lolol......
and Kathy....you will regret not going to the sc site...lolol..Im the devil....Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Gosh darnit, i'm goin i'm goin, now you got me wondering.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooh! ooh! Barb, you found the CINNAMON one I love so much!!! Any of those lavenders sound fabulous, too!

With regard to how it'll all work out, yes, we'll put together a summary list of what's being offered once people know which cuttings have rooted etc. I've already told Barb I'd help her figure out the "who wants what" aspect of this swap when the time comes. Obviously, some varieties may be in shorter supply than others. Barb & I will work out the details of how to do this, but I figure everyone will submit a list of their choices in order of preference, and we'll do our best to sort the "pool" of cuttings in a fair way.

I don't think it's a good idea to think of this swap as a whole bunch of prearranged trades, as in, I'll swap my variety X for her variety Y, as that would create an incredible tangle of requests to try to sort out. If you send in X cuttings, the idea is that you'd get X back, but submitting a preference list of more than X varieties will give us altermative choices and, who knows, we may have some "extra" cuttings to hand around too. I'm hoping that for varieties with, say, just 2 cuttings available, no more than 2 people will have that variety down for their number one choice (otherwise, we'll roll dice or something!). With so many varieties, I think everyone's choices will be sorted out differently, and I think it'll work out. Barb, I hope we're thinking along the same lines, or else I've just confused things with this post!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Here was my plan... Everyone will post what they are shipping (type and quantity of each) before sending them on to me. I will confirm the "health" of each arrival (given the time of year we are shipping). Then, I will post the total amount. Everyone can then post a list of what they want, in order of preference. Obvioulsy we will try to accomodate everyone, which is why I am starting as many cuttings of mine as I can.

Barb

PS - I have mini roses to trade over in the rose forum.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

sounds like you guys got a good plan going.

Oh my gosh, I just came from papa's he had the upright coconut, i've been searching and search ing forever for that one. it's georgious, but sold out, and cheappppppp ! can't believe that. wondering hownice they will be when they come in, be sure to let us know when you get yours juttz.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

How big are the ones from Papas? My local nursery has them in quart containers for about $4.95 (give or take).

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure, we'll have to wait till juttz gets hers in to find out, they did say their in 2 to 3 in pots. so their small I guess. quarts are alot bigger plant i'm sure,

but according to pappa's grey lady plymoth and lady plymoth are two diff scented geraniums, I must have grey lady plymoth , the variegated one, the lady plymoth is not the variegated one, LOL learn something new everyday.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

My list shows them as separate plants, also. Kathy, do you have 'Frensham'? I almost ordered that one but I don't know what it smells like.

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I use to have it, it's really cute, it's a pundgent lemon scent. Love those citrus ones, specially anykind of lemon, their so lemony

Also, papa's had that lemon mereign gosh how do you spell that . LOL someone was looking for that one.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Any idea where some of these names come from? I would love to know if they have been named for someone and if there is a story behind it?

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you know, that's a good question, I'm sure all these web sites that sell scenteds specifically, do their own hybridizing, and you might get some info from them on that subject,

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I'll try to look into it. Maybe the grower here can tell me about them.

Barb (Is everyone who is participating accounted for up top?)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you mean, there's only 7 of us having all this fun !!! LOL

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Gee all this talking about SC and I was sleeping?..lolol.....Kathy, I knew you would get hooked on Papas..and I dont remember where I got the address for their SC but Ive had it for years..this is the first time Ive seen such a sale on the SC...Ive gotten an email from them already saying I should get the plants by the 6th..will let everybody know when I get them..also grey lady plymouth is a very pretty SC..its a very nice plant in the flower bed...stays a nice size and looks great as a complimentary color and I cant believe Ive got that many SC coming...lolol....Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Judy, you have your scenteds in the ground? just wondering, you have to dig them in the winter don't you? I usually keep mine in pots.

I did order from papas too, I thought their scenteds were normally higher priced than that, guess every body marks them down this time of year, guess we should reamember not to buy them in the spring time, but at the end of may when they clearence them out LOL.

She also sent me an email saying they'd go out the 6th and be here the following wed or thursday.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Kathy ann: Maybe 7 of you are having fun with the swap, but I am enjoying the thread immensely!

I had gone to a local nursery the other day, and spotted these wonderful scented geraniums! Not knowing anything about them, I passed them by....

...and then I saw this thread!...and I went back to the nursery yesterday, and bought 5 of them!...and I have gone on Papa Geno's and am helping deplete their inventory!...and I showed my sister DG!...and this thread!...and she signed up today for DG!...and went to the nursery with me and bought 5 SG, too!...and is buying out Papa Geno's... HA!

So...we are doing out own little swap (2 people, 20 SG. Is that still a "little" swap?)

Thank you for the volumes of information! I'm going to enjoy watching this unfold!

Tracy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow tracy, You live by papa genos, i'd go nuts, wow, so cool. WEll, I just called them cause they emailed me and said thanks for the order but it didn't go through LOL so I had to call inmy order, and they still had all the ones I wanted, yippy, they did say they are going immensely fast. I was on their web site twice yesterday the second time they didn't have alot of things they had the first time, I'm going to check back in the fall for that upright coconut geranium. In the mean time, ladies!!! I got my hobbs order. looky how nice they are. some are little, may not be ready to divide, but the ones in the back are super nice. I'm happy. they packed them so well too.

they replaced the gooseberry one with golden angel. it's absolutely beaituful, love the green/.gold variegated leaves on it.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I did want to type up the care sheet he gave me, good info on it.

Scented geranium care

Most scenteds are very easy to care for and grow to be very large.
(hiswords) here

I grow some stock plants that are 25 years old. They are growing in large pots in my greenhouse. Some are in 24 in pots. These are what I take my cuttings from.

Water when they are dry. Most plants need to dry out between waterings.

Fertilizer: I fertilize with miracle grow (LOLno wonder their so big) once a month is usually enough unless they get very large and then fertilize every 2 weeks.

potting up: when potting up into a larger pot, do only if they have a good root system, and are outgrowing the pot they are in. Only pot up to the next size pot.

Such as a 4 in pot to a 5 in pot. etc... This is true of all plants

Following are a list of scenteds that are a little fussy about water when left wet and cannot dry out especially when they are small

brilliant
french lace (var. prince rupert)
fern leaf (filisofolium)
peppermint.

Some of this info I don't follow, I always put things in bigger pots, I don't like transplanting that often. so it does work good both ways LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just found out the golden angel isn't a scented geranium, they replaced my gooseberry with a rare and odd type geranium. I'll have to remember that it's just a geranium and not a scented, and the pine one looks and smells just like thenutmeg one. I thought pine had the ferny type leaves.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Kathy ann - Oh I can only wish that I lived near Papa Geno's! I was going online, after reading about it here! Your plants from Hobbs are beautiful! I just may have to check them out....

.....someone stop me!....please...

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Tracy, which ones did you both get? If they are ones that are a good size you could send Critter or myself some cuttings and we'd root them for the trade for you. Have to send right away, though. Or, you could try rooting them yourselves. Either way, we'd love to have you join in and that would mean more SG's for you!

Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.