Scented Geranium Swap (Pelagonium)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

This is a swap of rooted scented geraniums that I am co-hosting with Critterologist. It will be limited to ten participants. If you have plants but do not know how to root them, cuttings can be sent to Critterologist by June 15 (see details below). If you have cuttings or plants to offer but would prefer other plants in trade, please post your wish list here and we will do our best to accommodate you. The swap will proceed as follows:

Number of participants? 10
Send all rooted SGs to me by the week of July 30 (I’m in the exchange), send all cuttings in need of rooting to Critterologoist by June 15. Let her know if you need instructions on how to send cuttings.
Use delivery confirmation for all shipments and post here when shipping.
All plants/cuttings should include a marker with plant name and DG name (one marker for every plant sent)
Every participant must send enough loose postage to cover return shipment (extra will be returned).
Every participant must send a return shipping label with plants.
Every participant should post list of what they are currently rooting (or sending to Critter) and keep us updated on how things are progressing and any problems encountered. Let’s work together for the success of the swap and the fun of it!
Each participant should post a final list of what is being sent (quantity and description) before shipment to me the week of July 30. Please also post your wish list. I will do all I can to accommodate everyone. Please remember, this is a swap and some cuttings or plants may not make it. It is my hope you will receive a one to one return on your investment, if not the exact list you desire, but many factors will decide this at a later date. In general, the more you send the more you will receive. Please… be gentle with me!
When all plants are received and inspected, I will post a final list of what everyone will be receiving and the date of shipment to participants (with delivery confirmation).
Every participant should post upon receiving plants.

Please post all questions, ideas or concerns here, so we may all benefit from the asking.

Barb

This message was edited May 20, 2005 7:44 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Participants:
1. BassetMom
2. Critterologist
3. Jjutz
4. bluespiral
5. Kathy_Ann
6. mysticwill
7. Julie64
8. TracyRae

Also participating (SG for other plants):

This message was edited May 20, 2005 7:13 PM

This message was edited May 20, 2005 9:16 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2005 6:06 PM

This message was edited May 23, 2005 7:09 PM

This message was edited May 23, 2005 9:21 PM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 10:06 AM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

My current list I'm rooting:

Strawberry
Mint Rose
Lady Mary
Rollinson's Vintage
Wildwood Rose
Fringed Apple
Angel
Fingerbowl Lemon
Ginger
Orange
Apricot
Giant Soft-leaf Rose
Oakleaf
Unnamed Lemon

This message was edited May 20, 2005 7:14 PM

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like to get in on this......Judy

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

You're in, Judy. Let us know here what you are trying to root up and keep us posted. Thanks!

Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, Barb! What a great list!!

I only have 2 scented geraniums at present, but will keep my eyes open for others, and I'll start a whole bunch of cuttings from mine so hopefully everyone who wants one can have one. I don't remember what color the blooms are, but I'll edit my list to describe them when they do bloom.

'Chocolate Peppermint' has a nice minty scent, big leaves with "chocolate" brown center markings.
'Attar of Roses' has the most delicious old-rose fragrance and a nice mounding habit.

OK, now about my offer to take unrooted cuttings....

I have light shelves and seedling heat mats in my basement, so I figured I could volunteer to take unrooted cuttings for anyone who doesn't want to propagate their own, although propagation is rewarding in its own right. Please email me if you want to do this, and we will work out the details.

The number of geraniums you'll get depends on my success in rooting your cuttings, which in turn depends in part on the condition of the cuttings after being sent through the mail, so this isn't such a sure thing. But I wanted to offer this as an alternative for anyone who would like to swap but really didn't want to start cuttings.

Since I have so few geraniums at present, I would also like to increase my contribution to this swap by trading other plants, seeds, postage, etc for cuttings (unrooted). If you have a number of scented geraniums already and don't want to get more by participating in this swap, perhaps you would be willing to contribute cutting to the swap in exchange for something else. If I don't have anything on your wish list, then perhaps we can arrange something with another person participating in the swap who might have something you're looking for.

These are things that seemed like a good idea at the time when Barb & I were tossing ideas back & forth for this swap. We will see what happens, as I know this is not quite a standard thing to try to include within a swap. Your input is welcome!

Oh, this is going to be fun!!

Jill (aka Critter)

Victorville, CA

You go girls! Woohoo! I'd like to try. I only have the one kind but I have two small nutmeg scented geraniums. Maybe I could try a small cutting from each in a ziploc baggie. Is there a minimum size of cutting? If this works out you guys should do the different flavored mints swap. Mmm hmm. Shake your heads yes.
-Juli

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's some advice from Tom DeBaggio on "Selecting & Preparing Cuttings" from _Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting & Root: An adventure in small miracles_ I did a little editing & paraphrasing, but much of this is directly quoted. (Great book, BTW) I put together information from several sections, so hopefully I covered everything... Here we go!

It takes a healthy stem cutting to produce a high quality plant. The best plants from which to take cuttings hav been getting plenty of sun and are plump with vigorous, new, compact growth. Avoid plants that are wilted or appear stressed in any way... Stems that make the best cuttings are supple and strong but not woody. New growth (soft-wood or herbaceous) is generally best becuase it is most likely to root quickly and to be disease-free & insect-free.

Many guide books suggest using razor sharp knives, but Tom says he has always used sharp scissors, which cut cleanly and make a nice wound that encourages the cells to multiply & make roots.

Selecting the best stems to cut can take time, but it's important to work quickly so that the cuttings don't wilt before they can be stuck & put in an atmosphere of high humidity. Early morning is good, but early evening might be even better with 12 hours of darkness to help the cuttings adjust to their new status.

Try to cut stems to a uniform length, somewhere between 3 and 4 inches, but this will vary with the herb variety and the condition of the stems on the mother plant. It doesn't seem to matter much where you cut on the stem, whether above or below a leaf or root node. The woodier and tougher part of the stem below this tip portion is slower to root, and the longer a cutting takes to root, the more danger it faces from disease. Disinfecting the cutting tool with alcohol after each cut will lessen the possibility of spreading disease form one plant to another.

The best time of year to take cuttings is when plants are growing rapidly, daytime temps are still between 55 and 70 degrees F, and nighttime temps are above freezing. Cool (spring) weather is less stressful to cuttings. Stem tips cut during fall often root slowly because growth has been slowed by approaching dormancy.

Cuttings are extremely vulnerable once severed from the mother plant, and heat and strong sunlight can cause them to wilt quickly, so it's good to move to a shady spot to prepare & stick the cuttings. Strip leaves from the lower half of the cuttings by quicly sliding your thumb & index finger down the stem. It takes some practice to get the pressure just right; the goal is for the leaves to come off without damaging the stems. After the lower leaves are removed, but cutting has a bare stem on the cut end and nice green leaves hugging the stem from the midpoint up to the growing tip. If you're going to root the cuttings in water, do it forthwith.

If you're using a rooting medium, there are many options. A rooting medium should be free of diseases & weeds, hold water but drain well, and support cuttings upright. It shoudl also be loose enough for good aeration & to allow cuttings to be inserted easily. A pH around 6.5 will usually produce the most roots. Tom favors a mixture of one part perlite and one part Pro Mix, a commercial soilless growing medium that contains peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite.

Before inserting the cutting in rooting medium, dip the bare part of the stem in rooting hormone powder... most herbs root easily, so this may be an unnecesary step except for making you feel better psychologically. Use a pencil or a skewer or other "dibble" to poke a small hole in the rooting medium if you like, and insert the cutting, being careful not to bend or break the stem.

Tom usually sticks herb cuttings in open plastic flats measuring 11 by 21 inches by 2 1/2 inches deep and says that between 100 to 300 cuttings will fit in such a container. Any sterile container that is no deeper than 2 or 3 inches may be used to root cuttings. Space cuttings far enough apart that their leaves don't quite touch. Permitting some air circulation lessens the likelihood of disease in the super-humid propagation atmosphere. Pots that are at least 2 inches deep are useful for rooting just a few cuttings, but those deeper than 3 inches may keep the rooting medium too wet for good aeration.

After all the cuttings are stuck, water with a gentle flower to settle the rooting medium around th base of the cuttigns without packing it. After the cuttings are firmed by the water, they go into a high humidity environment.

Cuttings root best when they have some leaves attached to them because the leaves produce chemicals that promote root initiation & growth. On the other hand, too many leaves, or very large leaves, speed water loss that can lead to wilting & quick death. Protecting the cuttings from water loss & wilting by raising the humidity around them is most commonly achieved by regular misting, either applied automatically or manually with a spray bottle each time you walk by your cuttings.

It may be easier to produce a high humidity environement by using a plastic humidity dome over your flat of cuttings, or by placing a pot of cuttings inside a plastic bag. If you use a plastic bag, stick 2 wire coat hanger arches in the pot to support the top of the bag so it won't touch the stem or leaves. Place the pot in bright light but out of direct sun or the temperatures inside the bag will become lethal. Spritz the cuttings each day and close the bag with a clothespin or twist-tie; leave the bag open each night.

As long as air temperatures can remain fairly cool (in the 60's is ideal), it can work very well to place the cuttings under florescent lights for 12 to 14 hours per day (regular cool 40 watt tubes in shop light fixtures work fine, no need for fancy "grow lights"). If you use a seedling heat mat with a thermostat, the ideal root zone temperature for cuttings is between 75 and 80 degrees F. Whenever the rooting medium becomes dry, dampen with water (mixed with small amounts of fertilizer if you wish), but do not soak the medium.

Check your cuttings daily and remove any dead ones promptly to prevent the spread of disease. After a week or so, check the progress of cuttings by tugging them at random to see if there is any resistance caused by new roots. You might pull up a cutting or two to look for a callus, an ugly mass of cells that swells the stem & eventually cracks with roots.

When the roots are from 1/4 to 1/2 inch long, the cuttings are ready to remove from their pampered rooting environment. Don't leave them at risk of disease in the super-humid propagation environment any longer than necessary. The flats may be left on heat mats to encourage roots to continue developing rapidly. If roots are vigorous, flats may be left on a sunny bench in the greenhouse for a few days (or under lights with humidity dome or bag removed) before transplanting to 2 1/2 inch pots.

Transplant cuttings into moist soilless potting mix, keeping as much of the rooting medium with the roots as possible as you move the cuttings. Cut the growing tip of each cutting to encourage it to branch at the same time that it is filling the pot with roots. With most herbs, this producees a nice branched plant in a few weeks.

A couple of additional notes on geranium cuttings. They can be rooted in water, but this may take 3 or 4 weeks. If you root them in water, be certain to change the water *every day* or you risk having the stems turn to mush. Tom notes that letting the cuttings "heal" overnight by sealing them inside a plastic baggie increases rooting for cuttings stuck in rooting medium, but not for cuttings being rooted in water. (It was this observation that made me think geranium cuttings could be sent through the mail like african violet leaves, sealed in a puffed-up baggie with a scrap of damp paper towel around the base of the stem, and they should root fine upon arrival.... experiments are underway to confirm this.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, and Juli, put those geraniums in a bigger pot. You will be surprised by how quickly they will grow! As soon as they have filled a 2 inch pot with roots (eg, enough roots to hold the potting medium together if you gently knock the plant from the pot), they are ready for more space.

Victorville, CA

Thanks Jill! That was a good informative post. My DH put one outside in a large pot with some mints that I ordered and the other one I put in a pot and put in my bedroom. I love the leaves on this one. They are so soft. The flowers aren't very large but I think they are pretty. I have a couple weeks to let them grow some more. But I think I will try to root the mints.
-Juli

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

~ Blip! ~

This message was edited May 21, 2005 6:48 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We figured there might be people who might have lots of scented geraniums and not want any more, but who would be willing to contribute geraniums (or even unrooted cuttings) to the swap in exchange for other plants. I have a few things to offer in trade, but Barb thought it was a better idea to let such people post a wish list of what they're looking for, what they'd be willing to trade their SGs for. Sorry for the confusion.... as I said, it seemed like a good idea at the time!

(Zone 7a)

Thank you Barb and Jill - would love to participate, too.

This is to edit my trade status here as of July 6, 2003.

I have already sent plants (non-SGs) to Critter, KathyAnn, BassetMom, Mystic, and Juttz (Juttz, am sending you those thymes on Monday), and they have agreed which SGs they might be able to swap for those plants - whatever comes from this at this point I will consider a gift - it's been most fun to get to know you all and share this madness for SGs.

BassetMom, I'll D-mail you what those trades are.

I'd like to welcome all the new folks into this swap. I've gone quite crazy rooting everything in sight, so if there's anything you or anyone else in this group would like in the following list, let me know and I'll get them to BassetMom by 8/30. I am going to be so glutted with SGs if the ones I've already set up trades with are successful in their rooting escapades, that, at this point, I don't need anything more in return for these rootlings:

scented geraniums:
Rose (5)
Rober's Lemon Rose (2)

I will strike more cuttings of (don't know how many yet):
Rober's Lemon Rose
Rose
Peacock
Mint Rose
Crowfoot

Thymes:
very pungent upright thyme rooted from Korean grocery store
Spicey Orange Thyme
Thymus lanuginosa (woolly thyme)
Jill's very pungent creeper/low mounder
Thai Red Turtle Egg (Jill, is that right?)
Yellow Transparency
Caraway
Plain green lemon - this one's a paradise for the schnoz
variegated gold lemon
Thymus argenteus (silver thyme)
Hall's Woolly

Santolina:
silver/gray
Green (S. viridis) (6)

Lemon Verbena (3)

Basil - large, creped leaves (Jill - can you remind me of the name?) (3)

Artemisia:
A. abrotanum (lemon southernwood)
A. 'Powis Castle'

Ivy geranium - dark crimson (2)

Evolvulus - (2)

Impatiens double white (5)

African Violet:
Ruffled Sheer Romance (5)
dwarf, variegated leaves in cream/pink/gray-green (2)

Persicaria 'Red Dragon' (2) (Jill - is name right?)

Phlox paniculata - blue from Jill (3)

white creeping torenia
scarlet, single, long-tubed fuchsia
Plectranthus coleoides
Salvia 'Black and Blue'

I hope you all find something here that you like will make on the average 6 cuttings where not indicated otherwise - have more of thymes and artemisias.

Sorgina - would you like seed just collected of Aquilegia 'Black Barlow' and Allium 'Purple Sensation' for those beet greens?

I'm depending on you all to keep me straight, so let me know when I goof.

Karen

This message was edited May 21, 2005 9:03 PM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 10:02 PM

This message was edited Jul 6, 2005 8:15 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Blue! That's just the sort of thing I had in mind.

DH & I went to the farmer's market this morning, and of course I came home with a new scented geranium! I think it'll be big enough for half a dozen cuttings in a week (stems need to grow about an inch).

'Cocoa Mint Rose' has sweet, minty, slightly floral fragrance, a rose-pink bloom, and deeply cut leaves.

BTW, I know that propagation post was long, but hopefully it'll answer most questions. There's a lot of information there, but it's really not a complicated process, and I hope it didn't look intimidating to anyone. Tom DeBaggio is my "Dr. Carolyn" when it comes to any question regarding herbs!

:-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, I am getting determined about making it to DeBaggio's soon -- and they'd better still have lots of geraniums! Would anybody like to post a wish list of ones they're especially looking for? I'm generally a fan of the spice & fruit scented ones (other than lemon or citronella).

I will definitely look for cinnamon and lime, as they were particular favorites that I lost over the winter this year. The cinnamon had fairly small leaves, and both had quite an upright habit.

Juli, I wonder if your nutmeg is different than the Cody's Nutmeg I've bought at DeBaggio's in the past -- does yours have a rounded, super-soft leaf a little bigger than a quarter?

Juli, if you can't get a mint swap going, I would trade you geraniums for mint starts! We'll see what develops.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Karen, got ya!

Robin, Our swap is separate and I'll send your cutings to you for rooting.

Jill, great idea! I'll add the blossom colors, too!

Sorry I've been off, not feeling well and a big week coming up. Lots of trades to send and a huge plant sale in my driveway next weekend.

As for the "other plants" idea, we just hoped that people who have some SG and want something different will say so and we can accomodate everyone.

Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Barb, your explanation of the "other plants" idea was nicely succinct - thanks!

Hope you're feeling much better soon!! A huge plant sale in your driveway.... oh, my.... just where is Mount Laurel? ;-)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Jill - Just outside Philly, on the Jersey side! Raising money for MS Society... The BassetDaughter and I raised so many plants in our new GH that she decided to sell them and calls it her "Seeds of Hope." Been in the papers, hope it will be on tv, Trenton Thunder mascot may come... now we just need sun and shoppers!

Barb

(Zone 7a)

Barb, good luck with your fund raiser for MS. If you do it again next year, the SGs should be quite a special item for it. Let us know how it goes and which plants do best.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How very cool! What a great undertaking for you & BassetDaughter! I'll be crossing my fingers for good weather.

Hey, since you're maybe sending me a box soon anyway, could you or BD email me a list of some plants & prices if you're willing to ship a few? That would be great, especially as I don't see a road trip to NJ happening next weekend for me, and I'd love a chance to shop your sale!

OK, I suppose I should bring this post back around to the thread topic, so I'll take a picture of my new scented geranium.

Here's 'Cocoa Mint Rose'

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I checked DeBaggio's catalog, and it looks like they may have Grey Lady Plymouth (for Bluespiral) and Southernwood (for BassetMom), so I'll see if I can get those. BlueKat76 says she will road trip with me this week. They also have the cinnamon, lime, and Cody's nutmeg geraniums listed.

:-)

(Zone 7a)

Thankyou Jill, let me know what I owe you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you want anything else, check out their catalog at http://debaggioherbs.com

I thought the coconut one sounded interesting, as they say it's a cascading variety, but I'm waiting to decide until I can smell it! I think they said strawberry was cascading also -- Barb, does your strawberry SG have a cascading habit?

There's a couple of thymes I'm hoping to pick up; I know I'll be propagating them this summer too. :-)

(Zone 7a)

Thymes, you say??? We just cleared a section of hill into which we had built retaining walls years ago that is asking me to clothe it with creeping thymes.

Soooo..., I have:
Thymus lanuginosa (gray woolly thyme) - creeping, silvery woolly (right now it is a 4" pot which has been pulled apart and planted in said scanty shape. Still, there are sufficient little twigs to root
Thymus argenteus (silver thyme) -- mounding silvery thyme, rises up to about 6 - 8" before falling over (also just purchased in 4" pot, but lots of rootable twigs)
Unnamed upright thyme from local Korean store which I rooted - nice pungency (just rooted - not much cutting material yet)
Gold variegated lemon thyme - similar habit to Thymus argenteus, but lower and more lax (lots of rootable twigs)
also can trade cuttings of:
French lavender
Santolina:
silver
green
Artemisia 'Powis Castle'
Pinks - these volunteered as seedlings on a mossy, decaying railroad tie in enough shade to make the parents croak (D. 'Agatha' and 'Bath's Pink') They are growing thickly over stones in partial shade and good ol' Maryland summer humidity.
rooted are:
Viola labradorica - dark, purply leaves that carpet and edge nicely and extend sense of herb garden into shade
Sweet woodruff - low, invasive, fragrant when dying back in fall, tiny delicate bouquets of white flowers in May - I use it as ground cover on larger part of shady hill under blueberries and tree peonies

Could I reimburse you for any of following and then swap rooted cuttings of them plus the above with you? -
would like -
Thymus herba-barona (caraway thyme)
Thymus serpyllum albus (white-flowered thyme)
Thymus 'Pink Chintz'

Anyone reading this list is welcome to trade, too.

PS - SG coconut and strawberry sound wonderful. Hope I'm not muddling things up.

This message was edited May 22, 2005 12:45 PM

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Making me want some cascading strawberry geranimum too... :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have french thyme, english thyme (green and 'Wedgewood'), lemon thyme, and yellow transparent thyme (bright creeper), as well as a little sprig of wooly thyme. I had caraway thyme, but the trailing coleus was too much for it last summer. That's one I will definitely look for at DeBaggios -- it's a deep green creeper with tiny leaves & a nice scent. I also want to replace an orange baslam thyme I had once. The white flowered & 'Pink Chinz' thymes sounded nice also, and I might look for a Mother of Thyme or Creeping Dot Wells thyme while I'm at it. I started some creeping thyme from trade seeds this spring and have 6 little "plugs" coming along well. I'll be propagating all of them this summer, as we'd like to use them as a border when we (hopefully) put in a formal herb garden next spring. I'm sure I'll have extras, Blue! I'd love to trade for yours (anything but the santolina, just don't care for that scent).

BassetMom had strawberry geranium on her list, so I'll try to resisit that one and hope she has good luck propagating it!

Hey, Blue, what's that Peacock geranium like that you mentioned?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I went to debaggios web site , they don't ship plants, boo hoo, I'm always up for a new herb garden place LOL. I didn't get to look around on their web site. But...........

I have a lot of scented geraniums i'm rooting now or already have rooted. I could be persuaded to do a little swapping for them, for other scenteds I don't have, and if you can get to debaggios in person, there are some scenteds there i'd love to get cuttings of. like that southernwood. But i'd would rather the plants be shipped to me instead of basset mom, I can root the cuttings myself. and I can ship your plants directly to you. if that's ok with bassetmom. If you want rooted plants of mine and i don't have them rooted you can wait till their rooted and then we can send out our trades at the same time.

would love that cocomint rose cutting. i'll have to go to debaggios again to see what other scenteds they have.

here are my scenteds that I can share, I might not have enough to go around, some of these may just be one or two rooted cuttings or cuttings that I can share. will have to find out for sure how many I can do of each

sweet mariam
cybil homes
platinum fancy leaf
pineapple
lemon crispum
orange
spanish lavender
robers lemon rose
apricot
crowsfoot
chocolate mint
nutmeg
lilac rose
snowflake rose
lady plymoth limited on these

I think that's the extent of my wacking away on my plants, some are too small to take cuttings off of yet.

I'm not really interested in other plants though, unless it's some kind of named iris, TB, louisiana, siberian I don't have, dwarf, mini, ect.... named ofcourse.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Why not just go in with us on the swap, KathyAnn? That way, you'll get rooted cuttings, which probably will ship better. The postage for the swap will be the same as if you arranged 2 individual trades, which is why we were all thinking that the swap was a better idea than arranging several trades among us. If we don't end up with enough interest or varieties to make the swap worthwhile (it's a good bit of extra work for BassetMom, after all), then we can always default to setting up individual trades. But I think even a smaller swap could work out really well for everyone.

Could you please describe your geramiums a little? That would be especially useful for those with names like 'Cybil Homes' that don't really say anything about their scent.

Do the 'Spanish Lavender' and 'Lilac Rose' really smell like their namesakes? They sound delightful! And yes, I think you'd love the 'Cocoa Mint Rose'.

If you'd let me know which ones paticularly appealed to you on DeBaggio's list, I could keep your "wants" in mind when choosing new SGs there. Hopefully I'll be able to get at least a couple of starts off any new one in time for the swap!

(Zone 7a)

Regarding SG 'Peacock', I have it in its little 4" pot in front of me and do not know what it will turn into when it grows up. The leaves seem to have 5 lobes similar to the rose geranium, except the divisions are gentler, more rounded, and they are smaller, as is the whole plant. The underside of the leaves is softly hairy and the top side of the leaves is rougher - interesting contrast. There are splashes of cream on a field of gray-green.

The scent is faint - not the knock-off-your-socks wallop to the schnozz that the rose geranium has.

This is one of the most gorgeous SGs I have ever seen and I would not be without it. I'm sure, if I hang around you guys long enough, I will wind up with very fragrant SGs anyway, so looks take priority with me.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, you know critter, since yo uput it like that, it makes sense to send all our plants to one person, cause i'll actually be getting several trades back in return, gosh, I'mdumb, how come bassetmom couldn't explain it like that LOL. no offense, But I do see your point now bassetmom. please forgive me. LOL.

Most of my geraniums are already rooted. So I'm wondering do I stil send them all to bassetmom if their rooted. I'll have to get in touch with her.

the cybil holmes, sorry, it's a trailing geranium, much like an ivy, and has a beautiful double pink flower, I can only do one or two cuttings of it. and as for scent, I can't smell a darned thing sorry. I haveno idea why they call it a scented geranium,

I do like the spanish lavender, light lavender scent, big bold leaves, not sure on the flower color.

and the lilac rose, is a sweet smelling rose scent, I smell the sweet more than the rose, three prong type leaf, upright habit. grows like crazy.

Ok, i'm off to email bassetmom

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The swap is for *well rooted* cuttings of geraniums! So if yours are already rooted, you're ahead. That's why we set a later date for the swap, so everyone would have a chance to root cuttings between now & then. I'm willing to take unrooted cuttings for propagation by me for anyone who wants to participate that way, but we'd have to work out the details as I mentioned above.

The 'Spanish Lavender' and 'Lilac Rose' sounds scrumptious.... they'll definitely be on my "oh, please" list for the swap!

Not sure if DeBaggio's trip will happen tomorrow or next Saturday.... but I'm determined that it will happen soon! Wish it were closer... takes me more than an hour each way, so it's definitely a "road trip" expedition.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I want in on this soooo bad! But all I have is one piddly little citronella geranuim...... Whaaaaa!!! waiting patiely to see if anyone has other wishes that I can fufill.... does anyone WANT a citronella?

Heather (who is iching for a chocolate and stawberry combination, although, lavender and rose sound good too----- my eyes are too big for my garden I think...)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry to say that I do not want a citronella -- that's one scent that's a guaranteed migraine for me. But that's why the swap is such a great idea.... you could swap rooted cuttings of your citronella geranium to several people & get different varieties from them in return. Juli went in on the swap, and I think she's just got nutmeg geraniums (which I would love, BTW)

I'm going to try to expand my selection of geraniums a bit in time to (hopefully) have more cuttings to send to BassetMom by the end of July. We figured setting this up well in advance would give everyone a chance to procure & to propagate!

Heather, if you're particularly dying for a strawberry geranium & don't want to take a chance on not getting one in the swap (or decide you don't want to participate), I'd be happy to pick one up at DeBaggios (assuming they have them this week) and exchange it for an armload of that fabulous bamboo you've been snatching!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Im not sure if anybody has this but just got a Dr Livingston in trade...it should be big enough for some cuttings off it in the future...I also have a camphor rose that is still abit small..hoping it doesnt die on me...Judy

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Jill, dont forget me with getting soem scenteds at DeBaggios....anything variegated...I would love the grey lady plymouth too since its such a nice plant in the garden...Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

is grey lady plymoth the same as lady plymoth, I think it might be,

I wouldn't mind dr. livingston.

going to debagios today when I get back home this morn. to check their site, I just really want what I don't have, in the line of scenteds. I have a few that I didn't list that are too smal to trade, old spice, cinnamon, and citronella and apple, I think I listed the others, I have sweet mariam too, really all too small to trade, though I will take any others besides these and what I listed before. just so you know.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We're going to DeBaggio's TODAY!!! YEA!!!

KathyAnn, I don't know if grey lady plymouth & lady plymouth are the same.... I'm thinking "grey" might be the variegated one? If I find a nice one, Judy, I'll get it since it was tops on your & Blue's lists. Blue, I'll be keeping my eye out for cool thymes, too.

G2G! :-)

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Have fun shopping at DeBaggio's!!! ~ Suzi :)

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Critterologist, I just picked up my first scented geranium last week and a local nursery. It's cinnamon. I doubt I could root, but I'd be happy to send you a couple of stems to root?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have the variegated lady plymoth, but i've wacked on it so much that it's really too small to do more than a couple cuttings.

have fun at debaggios, wish I was going too LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.