Drew's Garden Pictures So Far

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

If anyone knows the real dimensions for a tomatoe flat I would love to have them... Gonna build a few out of Ironwood left over from the deck.
This bed is Blue Potatoes...

Thumbnail by Drew_N_Corinn

Ill take some more soon on a sunny day and will include upper garden as well (coming along very well) I am trying to choose what to plant to replace the cauliflower, it will be next to the cabbage and I have lots of tomatoes I could fit in there but am worried about the cabbage stunting them... Any ideas.... other than beans?

and the Peruvian Purple (kind of a cranberry Colored) Potatoe sharing a 4x4 with a summer squash just starting to set fruit and a zucchini.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Well, can't help you with the tomato table, don't know what that is.

As far as what to plant with cabbage besides beans, my onions are doing well there. And dill. Tomorrow I am putting out wormwood, shasta daisies, rosemary, and creeping thyme with the cabbage. Look here for more companion ideas, and plant spray recipes...

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

Which do you prefer, Peruvian Purple or All Blue?

The peruvians are tiny and I have not grown them before but I think All Blue will win. We have family in Southern Idaho so Potatoes are basically free so I wont grow them unless they are a little unusual.

Drew

PS. Tomatoe Flats are the flat boxes you ship them in, they are only about 6 inches deep in order to not squash the fruit.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hmm, have you looked in Five Acres and Independence? Yes, All Bluw is my FAV!

Here are a few more... I need to learn how to start my own Garden Journal. thingie in here to keep track of these pictures. You can see the squash, the corn is coming and there are beans just poking there heads up.... ( I hope they all get along OK)

Bed #2

Peas, you cannot see the Eggplant and Onions behind the peas here....

Lettuce on this end of the bed...

Tomatoes need pruning!

Kohlrabi

Anyone know whats up with this potatoe plant versus its neighbors?

Lower Beds

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Everything is looking great!

Maybe that potato caught a glimpse of you watering late one night in your PJs, and just shriveled up! LOL

Seriously though, it has got to be some kind of disease, maybe you got a bad seed potato. I would dig that sucker up and sipose of it, and replace it with a tansy or marigold or wormwood.

The squash corn & beans are MEANT to be toegther, they have a symbiotic relationship, hence the term "Three Sisters". Traditionally, the corn is planted first to get a head start on the squash, and the beans last. How are you planning to contain that squash? Trellis? Or let it sprawl on the gravel? What are you doing to prevent squash bugs?

What is that at the back of bed #2?

Do you find it difficult to prune the tomatoes after they are blooming? Are you pruning them the Mittledier way?

So what did you plant with the cabbage? Looks like you have enough onions! :-)

When are you shipping my share this way? ;-P

If you just prune suckers and do it soon enough they will not have blooms or fruit. If not you can just pinch out the tip and the sucker branch will stop its growth but you have to prune the suckers suckers as well.

Bed #2 is Beans (hating the onions) seperated by the tomatillos... I am gonna pull all the cole crops bit by bit and plant more beans but I have them coming up in bed number one if they dont overpower my corn which is about 8 to 12 inches high Ill be good there. I planted Kohlrabi and Cauliflower but I think I should have moved the Kohlrabi to another bed. I think It doesnt like cabbage or vice versa... The cabbage needs a bit to finish, it is just starting to head up. The Kohlrabi is doing OK, ate 2 yesterday, good! I am a little concerned though about planting anything you only get one harvest on and may not do so next year as it seems such a waste of my limited space. Of course if I have squash, mellons, peppers and tomatoes running out my ears in a couple of weeks I will just figure myself smart to diversify.

I am stupid and did not think about disease... Ill yank it... Dont want to loose that all blue bed...

Drew

P.S. post a ton of your on here... I wanna see how the moon is helping you out there...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I loved the look of that Kohlrabi, was wondering what your spacing was on that? Think I told you to move the kohlrabi LOL you didn't listen eh?

My cabbage is just beginning ot make a head, how much longer do you think? I can't go by maturity dates, because I transplanted them more than once, and they were also stunted by the tomatoes. The harlequin bugs are trying to rid me of the cabbages...

Yes, you gotta have variety! It's not like you need any more onions or beans LOL

I pruned my tomatoes a bunch yesterday. I am getting used to it, and it doesn' thurt so much anymore :-) Esp since I am making tomato leaf spray, and rooting some for fall plants.

Did I understand you think your onions are afecting your beans? Glad I am not the only one. Your pease with onions look fine though. I am convinced it has to do with cultivar, or what is separating them (space or another plant).

If your corn is twelve inches ahead of your beans, you should be fine. And your corn won't need as much nitrogen fertilizer, you know...

If it weren't for the moon, I would not appear to have a green thumb. All the rain and snow has helped too! Don't know if I want my pictures with yours. I have weeds, you know, and not so nice beds. I am still insearch for the perfect husband who is also a carpenter, plumber, mechanic, painter, landscaper, gardener, cook, and everything else!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

How about a corn story, not too many weeds in those pics...

First, 6 inches of snow on top of the row cover, where five circles of corn were planted in a twenty-five foot row, along with cosmos, marigolds, sunflowers, and radishes. This snow fell three days after planting...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

This is the same spot six hours later... I moved the row cover over to get a looksie...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

That snow fell on May 2nd. Here are the seedlings of corn up the same day. Wasn't sure if they liked the snow or not, but I was sure glad it melted fast!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

And the radish seedlings at the same time...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Later, you can see the corn pushing up the row cover, and the sunflowers on the near (South) end...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Will continue this another time...

Well considering the time another time would be better... These aint the newest pictures are they? Do you have a digital or are we still scanning?

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I have a few more, to show the whole progression of the corn and companions. I was getting tired, and didn't even edit the pictures... yep, CHEAP digital camera

Well I wanna see the progress... Put Messenger on again this morning before work... It has been about a month... We will soon see if it works again...

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

have dr appts this afternoon, then will get more pics posted. Looks like I need to take another, as I had some HUGE radishes (white icicle i think), the first batch is all tasselled, with ONE silk, this is getting pretty exciting. And those cherry belle radishes with their seed flowers are quite dainty and cute!

Are you sure you don't want me to move my pics to another thread? I don't want to hijack yours, or get it so full of pics that folks can't download it...

Tamara

I have high speed everywhere but you are probably right...

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hi, took more pictures of the corn today. And requested admin move my photos to another thread, but haven't heard back. need to get off here anyhow, thunderstorm. But I have my first silk!

And mine are like 12 inches tall.... (the earlier ones) the others are just poking out of the ground now....

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

me thinks i'll have corn for my birthday :-D

OK Here go the June 19th pictures...

Onions etc...

Lettuce, Last of the Daikons (You will see why I left some in the next picture) Beets, Carrots (just coming up) Chard & Eggplant...

I ate her first clutch but could not bear to do it again... The first ones she had left and they got watered so they were in a cold puddle of water. I could touch her here and she would not move. Considering that this bed is 3 feet high I am wondering if she is going to push those chicks off the box or what once they come?

Drew

Cole Crops.... cauliflower is pretty much done, the Kohlrabi is pickable and the cabbage is coming along nicely.

Drew

Tomatoes and peppers...

Another Bed Full

The 3rd bed

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

That all looks great!

How are you liking the silver mulch? Your tomatoes are lookin greally good, esp in the Onions Etc. picture, FULL of blooms! Too hot to bloom here it seems...

Glad you left her the daikon for cover! I have no idea what she will do with her chicks. Maybe you can relocate her after they hatch...?

Keep up the great work, and the messenger too...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.