At my ankles, right where my shoes stop
(17 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I use enough sunscreen to avoid a farmer's tan
(45 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

LOL. I prefer to call it a "gardener's tan." The line at mid-thigh is more prominent than the one on my arms, which seems sort of gradual.

What I really need is a great mosquito repellent that also has sunscreen in it. That would make Dogzilla a very happy gardener!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Why wasn't there a choice for All of the Above? LOL

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have white upper arms and white hands (gloves) and tan forearms! Pretty funny looking. I also have white legs and tan feet as I garden in long pants barefoot. Hubby jokes that he can always find me on the beach by my "stripes".

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I have the classic tan line from my short-sleeved shirts, a tan line at mid-thigh and white feet (I've learned the hard way to do my spring gardening with shoes - fewer calluses, less scrubbing, and - most importantly - no need for annual tetanus boosters ;o)

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

There wasn't a choice for "other." I don't have any tan lines yet-- probably won't until July, maybe June if we have a really nice month.

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

Tan??? What's a tan? Though a patriotic American, my heritage is Irish and German -- all pale genes there. I didn't sunscreen my ears weekend before last and they turned a lovely shade of lobster red :-) Still, to take some liberties with the old adage . . . neither rain nor heat nor dark of night shall keep me from my appointed rounds in the garden.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Been too cold here to get much of a tan So the little bit around my neck is all I have so far. Sunday I had ear-muffs and gloves on to mow the lawn.
Sandy

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

All the above but the sunblock.I probably should use it.Just never have time and the bugs probably like it and I don't like them.lol.Jody

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I needed an "Other" category! I just found this AWESOME stuff by Jergens called Natural Glow. I'm tan and don't look orange ~ lol! So, no farmer's tan this year for me!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Irishbelle - my husband and I have the same heritage as you. I tan (like my Dad did) and he doesn't. The back of the neck gets to be like toast by August and the front stays white.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I voted for arms, but my real vote is "there has not been enough sun to get ANY tan". It's only 50 here! Yuck! Tamara

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Coppertone makes a dual sunscreen/repellent and I know Avon did/still does? Consumer Reports advised the combo ones don't work very well. Apply sunscreen first, wait 15-30 minutes then apply insect repellent.

I apply sunscreen but still get an itchy rash from being in the sun. I have moved on to long sleeves:(

-Kim

P.S. I also love the Jergen's Natural Glow for my glow-in-the-dark legs!

Linden, TN

Shoulda had an "All of the above" cause I do have all the classic tan lines, even with sunscreen, which I tend to sweat right off... lol We will be going to Florida soon, so I can't wait to see how many stare at my strange tan.. bwahahahahah.. like I give a hoot.. tee hee....

Blessings,
Carolyn

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Nobody will stare at your strange tan, Gardennutz... See, everyone else at the beach in the middle of the week is either retired (and have the savage tan, sans lines) and or also on vacation (read: and also has a strange tan). Those of us who would make fun of you are stuck inside, working some place. So you get the last laugh!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well my face is getting a little dark (for me, that is) but the rest of me stays out of the sun, I can't wear sunscreens so I just try to cover up.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I couldn't vote because none of them apply.

Yes, I have a farmer's tan, but it's not just on my neck, and not just on my arms. It is on my face, neck, arms & legs - stops where my shoes & socks are & where my clothing is - which varies from day to day depending on the weather.

This message was edited May 16, 2005 1:40 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I wear a tank top so my arms and upper back are tan (I use sunscreen but not sunblock) as well as my upper legs...very white above the shorts line, the back of my legs as well as my entire front body are pretty white. It is by far the weirdest tan I've ever had. I am a new gardener after all and my tan shows it. Oh..the funniest part of my gardener tan is my feet...I wear flip flops and so I have two stripes across where the flip flop meets at the top of my feet. LOL! Maybe I should take a picture of them? hehe. Michelle

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm with the other midwesterners, not enough sun or warmth here to get much of a tan. However, my face has gotten a little, so I voted mostly around my neck.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I've had those stripes! Remember when it was all the rage to put your boyfriend's initials on your body in tape and then get a tan and then take off the tape? You didn't dare break up with him till summer was over!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I drive a dump truck at work so my left arm is darker than my right arm :-)

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl,

You lucky woman. My mother also won the genetic roulette game. Of the seven girls (and four boys - God bless Granny) in her family, four are quite fair and two tan beautifully. There is a bit of Spanish blood going back some. My luck, I get the no tan skin and the stocky peasant legs ;-) No matter though . . . I did get the gardening genes!

Cheers,
Colleen

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Nowadays, just a tan line around the upper arm at shirt sleeve level, but I remember the days, as a kid, when my neck peeled , face/ nose peeled and ears peeled from long hours in a 100+ degree scorching sun chopping weeds from half-mile-long rows of cotton for $1.00 an hr.--- 13 hrs. a day.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Me one-um pale-face! (no Native American slur intended!) lol! Just like Newatplants, I have tank-top and shorts marks, but I dont tan, so mine is more of Farmers-Burn-and-Freckle! Cute survey!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

What's a tan and how does one acquire one of their own????????????????????/

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

Need the all of the above!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

My tan lines are actualy quite varied, depending on the type of sleeve Im wearing to how short or long the shorts are and if I decided to wear shoes that day. Sometimes I look more like a zebra than anything else.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ive been going to the tanner for a month so i dont have tan lines ;)
ok my arms are a lil darker than the rest of me!

(Zone 2b)

I have a permanent farmer's tan on my arms, including a stripe from my watch. It never goes away, even in the winter. And it is starting to darken for the summer already as I've been wearing short sleeves outside for quite some time now.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

too fair to go without sunscreen even in dismal Northeast Ohio!!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Haven't had enough sun for a tan since it's been raining for 5 weeks now. Supposed to stop raining this coming weekend. (fingers crossed)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Need the sunscreen with bug repellent all the time, thanks to my German/Irish heritage. All fair genes, never tan.

Indialantic, FL(Zone 10a)

Actually a "tank top tan" and flip-flop shaped tan lines on my feet. Been pretty warm and sunny here in Florida.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

none of the above - been too cold for anything less than a jacket

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

No color yet. Have been clearing brush in a heavily shaded area for a new hosta bed and a zen garden.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I chose that I use enough sun screen to avoid it and I guess that is true. I only garden in the shade and follow the shade around until sunset. This allows me to keep that pasty white glow that helps me be seen in the dark. If I absolutely cannot avoid the sun I am covered up from head to toe and wear a brimmed hat. Watching them remove skin cancers from my Dad makes me want to avoid it very much!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I almost lied, because there hasn't been enough sun this spring to get a tan yet. I had more tan in early April.
Bernie

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree with Zanymuse...I slather on sunscreen religiously and follow the shade. All I get from the sun is red leathery places and freckles.
For color, I slather on some "tan in a bottle" a day or two before making my appearance in a swimsuit.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm always "tan", I was born that way. LOL However, the south Florida sun is so intense that I do get darker. I have a sports bra tan. :-)

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

With super white skin like mine, I chase the shade around the yard, wear huge brimmed hats, and sunblock/bug block every day, clouds or sun. Otherwise, I'm the incredible RI Red Lobster until I go right back to ghostly white. Funny, silly, sad, and true....all at the same time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.