Future container garden area

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This area is a real trouble spot for me. There is no drainage and the soil is bad.

When we had our backyard relandscaped 4 yrs. ago, this area was all concrete as it was the spa equipment area and a large umbrella tree. When they put in the new drainage, they forgot about this area, so it gets flooded really bad when it rains. I have put so much money into the soil with amendments and compost, but it hasn't helped at all. My plants just sit there and eventually die. The green plant that is in the ground right now, is an Aster, and it will grow anywhere. (It will be moved)

The reason this area is barron right now, is because we just had our house tented for termites 2 weeks ago and I had to remove all plants against the house.....any that were still alive. lol

So what I think I would like to do is create a large container garden here. Get lots of pretty pots in different sizes and elevations and not worry about the soil or drainage problem. I can plant some easy to grow groundcover around the bottom of the pots, to soften the look.

I was hoping that someone can give me some ideas on designing this area: what color and type of pots should I use, etc. It gets full sun all day. The white iron gate was used to put a clematis growing on it, but the poor plant just didn't like that soil, so I moved it. I just bought another clematis (in the small pot), it is a mini clematis and I would like to put it in a nice pot between the iron gate. See the pot next to the trellis? I just put that there, as I had a 14 ft. China Doll tree there and with all the rains we had, the roots got so wet and it died.

I could sure use some help with this new bed. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Donna

This message was edited May 5, 2005 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by SoCal
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Did you ever think about making a raised bed? Maybe just a step or two up.

Yes, I did think of a raised bed, but....the problem with a raised bed, is that the soil would go up against the house too much, and then I would have lots of other problems. lol

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

When you raise it and with whatever you use just follow the outline of the house with the same material.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What about putting in a water feature there, Donna?

Northern California, CA

Hiya Donna -

You asked on another thread for some suggestions for your problem area.....so here I am with some initial thoughts.

First of all I'm having a hard time concentrating on plants or the idea of pots because of my concern for your foundation and standing water. Is it only seasonally a problem, perhaps this past winter more so than others because of the historically heavy rainfall? If it were me, I'd try to solve the water problem up against the house first. But, if it isn't as bad as I'm imagining, then we could go on to how to spiff it up in some different ways. You are correct about not wanting to raise a bed up against the house, especially with the already existing water problem.

Let me know about the water, while I continue to ponder what you could do with the area.......I want the water away from your foundation. (Do I sound like I've been there before???) Also, in the foreground of the image, is that a sidewalk or a patio.....if it's a side walk you can probably solve the water problem with some time and effort by installing PVC drain channels under the walk....if it's a patio that probably wouldn't work.

Just realized that I sounded very "preachy".....didn't mean to, but I've seen what water and foundations and dry rot can do when mixed together. Not a good combination!

This message was edited May 5, 2005 4:02 PM

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Donna, I was thinking the same thing Happenstance about your foundation. I am also worried about the walls of the house. I'm used to seeing 4 - 6 inches of the concrete foundation above the soil line before the stucco starts. If the stucco is that close to the soil line, you could have water damage. I think Happenstance is right in that the water problem should probably be taken care of first. I wonder, could the ground have been graded so that water drains toward the house instead of away from it.

Kim, there is a pond right across from this spot, so I don't need another water feature that close. lol

Candy, thanks for looking.

Just for your concerns regarding the water damage to the house....that's doesn't seem to be a problem at all. The water drains away from the house and we are on a concrete slab foundation. You are also right, in that the only time we have problems, is when we have a lot of rain like we did this year and a few years ago. The water also came down from the surrounding berms in that area...see picture below. There is a small drain at the bottom of the pond hill, but with the amount of rain we had, it was going across the pathway into this spot and then had no where else to go. Once the water was caught in that spot, it couldn't drain back to the downhill drain.

I'm not sure what your saying regarding the pvc drainage channels. Where would I have the water drain into, as the surrounding area is all uphill. lol

I sure do appreciate you all helping me. Now don't forget that I said the soil is not good. Even though they brought in some soil and I have amended it, I still think that something has soured it....possibly all that cement from before.

Thumbnail by SoCal

Here are 2 more pictures that I just took to give you an idea of the surrounding area.

This is looking back towards the patio.

Thumbnail by SoCal

This is looking from the patio.

Thumbnail by SoCal
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm sure Happy will have some grand ideas for you Donna.
One thought I had was to get some crushed red or clay coloured stone and cover the area. It would pick up the colour from your bricks and pots that are in your garden.Then put what ever suits you there..maybe some potted hibiscus trees. That way you would be able to step on it to reach the boxes on the wall. I am assuming that little walkway is for that purpose now.
Just an idea..

Your garden is breathtaking!

Cheers,
Carol

Northern California, CA

I love your garden and I think your idea of a "pot" garden is a good one for your problem area. Lots of ways to approach it, but the first thing I would do is probably dig out at least some of the soil and add gravel several inches thick in the bed. (I'm forgetting about the water problem, because I don't really know how much water or how it drains).

Perhaps a vapor barrier underneath the gravel and running up to just above the stucco wall base...like a pond liner, covered with gravel. Once the basics are done, then I would cover the basic gravel (road base) with either small river rock, some sort of smaller decorative rock (I stay away from pea gravel because it goes everywhere), or even the round hydroponic clay balls depending on your budget. I just like the look of the clay balls design wise and they would retain overyspray water from watering the pots.

Tall stuff in back....perhaps a large potted Bird of Paradise or a small palm, anything tall as a backdrop. Then it's just a matter of how you want to do it and how many pots you want to end up with. You can stage smaller pots with concrete blocks as a base to achieve various heights, placing another pot in front of the block to hide it....or make a stair step planter out of concrete block and use them to stage your pots.

Depending on how you arrange your blocks, some of them could be planted with ground covers that would eventually creep and crawl in among your plants, while others would serve as stands for your pots. It's all a matter of personal taste, but I like to mix all kinds of pots together (glazed, plain terra cotta, fancy terra cotta, etc) to give it a casual look rather than something too formal. That way you can highlight a few very special pots facing forward and the rest of the more ordinary pots can hang out in the back and only show the foliage. A lot of the way you arrange it depends on the kind of plants you want. Succulents and cactus are easy, can stay outside all year, don't require a lot of care and take little water. All day sun will pretty much determine what kind of plants you choose because pots dry out very fast!

Another way to stage plants is to use tiered racks that give you a way of highlighting a collection of plants. So much depends on the look you want....soft and lots of green or the succulent look or a combination of the two.

Pots of various sizes can also just be set in the gravel......it's an easy look, can be arranged and rearranged at will....could look very pretty with some of the gold moneywort (assuming there's enough summer water) running around under the pots.

Hanging something on the wall would also give some focus to the area, although the arbor/fence is already there so I'd probably go with a decorative metal piece or a mirror or an old window or a terra cotta piece (s) Do you need access to the utilities on the wall?

How about a bench and pots? or a large something.....like an old trunk (it will eventually decay, but I'm talking decorative junk!) filled with overturned buckets and the plants staged on top of the buckets (I use cat litter buckets for lots of things!) Old garden tools on the wall or old garden hats on the wall over a bench.....so much depends on personal taste.

This is all just stream of consciousness going on here......your garden is very charming, I'm sure you can put something together. I think the base is important and then the personal artistry comes into play.

Again, just ideas to play with......my fee should you decide to accept this challenge will be two images of the finished product! This message will self - destruct sometime soon. :-)

The image below isn't exactly like your situation, but it shows part of my succulent collection staged on three tiered racks.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

You paint a beautiful picture Candy. I can imagine it in my mind as I read your ideas.

What a fabulous collection!
What a talent you have.

Cheers,
Carol

Candy,

You have some great ideas and many of them I have already thought of too. You are painting my ideas very well. I have read your post over and over and I really like that you have given me a better perspective of what can be done. My first thoughts, was to make it look NICE, instead of gardeny....do you know what I mean? But now I'm thinking more casual would suit my garden.

I think my hardest thought process is the pots. I have been to so many places this week looking at pots and am now confused on what type I really like or want. I love the look of glazed, but I also like some of the clay ones that have some unusual forms. I have found that it is hard to find unusual forms in the glazed pots. I like round, tall cylindrical, square and urn shapes...hehe But, again, I think you have me thinking differently on what I really want and I might be able to make some decisions....finally.

I have already thought of putting some of the pots on cement blocks or pavers to give it height and tiers. That is the look I really want.
I also love the idea of putting decorative rock down as the base and just interplanting the base with some moneywort, dwarf mondo or thyme.

The small rock pathway is so we can access the utilities on the wall. They are for the lights in the garden and the pond equiptment. I really want to put some type of tall spiky plant in front of it, to hide it alittle.

I do have an old window that I bought months ago and my sister has just finished painting the glass panes in it. She is an artist and used some glass paint to make it look like stained glass. I would love to put it on that wall, along with some other items also.

Just typing this post, has me thinking of ideas already....can you hear my head churning? hehe

My DH has said he would love to repay you by taking you out for dinner, when you take your boat out and you sail down here to Newport Beach. lol

Do you think if I printed out the picture and used it to draw on, that it might help with designing it? I think I might try it and see....can't hurt, right?

BTW, I just love your tiered arrangement in the photo above. I would love to have an area to do that in the shade for all my Begonias...alas, shade is at a minimum in my garden area.

Thank you all for your continueing help. I have some great ideas to work with, and now I need to make some major decisions.

Donna

Northern California, CA

The thought process is the hard part.....so many things to consider, but I think you are well on your way Donna.

As far as pots go, you might want to see if you can find a place like the NorCal Outlet down your way. They have an office, I think it's in Fontana, but I don't know if they have an outlet area like we have up here. Check this thread for info on my adventure at the pot outlet:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/495717/

Check around and see if you can't find someplace like that, an inexpensive way to fill the area up fast. :-)

Because you need access to the utilities on the wall you might not be able to use this idea, but perhaps you could place it and still access the panels from the side. It would hide them but still leave them accessible. A favorite nursery uses this idea as backdrops for many of their plant displays.

Just wanted to give you a short update.

I've been working on finishing the glass window frame, along with finally buying some pots. I had heard of this pottery place, about 25 miles from me, so my DH and I took a drive yesterday to check it out. I printed out the picture above and also took measurments of that area, and took it with me.
http://www.potterymfg.com/

A lady who works there, saw what I was trying to do and said she could help me make some decisions.....well, she sure did!! I came home with 6 beautiful new pots. I should have taken a picture of them when I placed them in that area, but totally forgot. I had to remove them, so I could start working on the soil area and I had to put them in different places for now. I will take some pictures later. I was a little upset after we got home, as I had picked out 2 smaller pots that were just so cute, and they must have been left on one of the 2 carts I had to use in the warehouse. Thank goodness, I didn't pay for them.

I will continue to give more updates, as I progress with this project. I just hope it comes out as nice as Candy has described above.

Donna

Northern California, CA

Can't wait to see your new garden Donna! It will be beautiful.

And what a great find the pottery place is......you should post the link over on the California Forum for the folks in your area looking for a good place to purchase pots!

Good idea Candy, I'm off to post it right now.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Oh Happenstance I love you. I have printed the photos you posted and shown them to my husband, saying, see, I'm not "out of control" yet.

LOL
I love it
Susan

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

What a great spot.

Looking forward to seeing the results, and what an amazing offering of creativity happening here.

Don

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I'll be watching, Socal..I can't wait to see the finished project.

Northern California, CA

Buns!!

Are you saying I'M out of control??????? LOL

(I am out of control, but I'll deny I ever said that.)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Just a small addiction. LOL lurking for ideas, have none to contribute.

Northern California, CA

I'm sure Donna is out in the garden creating a beautiful scene for us......one thing about pots that wasn't mentioned here was the "stawberry pot/jar". Most of us have one (or maybe two!) and quite often they end up sitting in a dark corner or the garage or the shed.....here's a link to a thread about resurrecting those poor pots:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/509335/

Oh yes, Candy, I've been working on the items that are going into that space.

Friday, I went to buy the waterproof roofing tar, to paint inside of the clay pots. I also was looking for some concrete stain to put on some stepping pavers that I will be using to elevate some of the pots. My dad gave me about 12 of them but they are the grey ones and I don't want them grey. I can only find the gallon size for $20 and that's too much for a few pavers. Off to Michaels I went, to buy some Patio Paint to paint a few of the pots with and it says on the bottles that you can use it on concret...yippee...solution solved.

Sat. was grandson day, so I didn't get to work on the project at all.

This morning we are getting back on track. DH is wire brushing down the iron gate, as there was a lot of rust forming, and then we will repaint it white again. I will be putting the coat of paint on the window pane and then that project will be done. After that I will paint the inside of the clay pots and let them dry also.

It's amazing all the little things that need to be done, before the actual placing of items can be done. I'm getting antsy, as I want it finished NOW...hehe.

Blooms, it's so nice to see you here watching my small project. If you have any input, feel free to share. Someday, when you go to Spins, you have to come for a visit. I was sorry we couldn't do it this past Spring.

Candy, I almost bought a small strawberry pot the other day at the pot place. I just might have to get one after I see how this all come together.

Here is a pic of my DH wire brushing the Iron Gate.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

Here is the window frame I'm painting. I can't wait to see how it will look with the new painted glass.

Thumbnail by SoCal
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Donna, Are you painting on a stained glass look? I'm planning on using some of my beloved OLD many-paned windows in my yard. Will be stealing from all ideas available on DG.

The new ones are nice but lack the character and I do mean "character" which the oldies added to the cottage look of my house. It's gonna be a whole new look to the house.

With any luck I'll meet a bunch of you at DrDon's - My sister wants me to stay at her house in upstate NY 'til the 13th or 14th. So it's clear across the country with a stop at Starr's in Mo. AND of course in Moab to see what's made it thru the early summer's heat.

I know about the kinda clay soil you and Spin share - it truly doesn't absorb water and if you dig a hole and amend the returned soil, you've got a pot... one without a drain hole.
boy-o-boy do I ever. LOL ~Blooms

Blooms,

Yup, I gots me some clay soil, that's for sure. When we relandscaped several years ago, I had them bring in some good top soil, but it's still got a lot of clay in it. I have spent so much money on amendments, along with all of my own homemade compost, but it still reverts back to clay.

Yes, it's an old window that I bought at a garage sale for $3. I took the glass out and gave it to my sister, who is an artist. I just gave her some small ideas of what I liked and told her to go with it. She just finished the glass painting a few weeks ago, and now I had to hurry to refinish the window frame. It was peeling so bad, and it had many different colors flaking off. I would love to have left it old looking, but it wasn't feasible without tons of work...hehe
The frame is drying really good today, so I might be able to put the glass in it tomorrow.

Oh boy, your coming to our RU? That's great to hear. I really look forward to meeting you and seeing Spin again.

Oh yeah, I have finished painting the Iron Gate and waterproofing the pots today. All the pavers are cleaned and ready to paint. That's my next project today.

Donna

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

your energy is wunnerful. Mine runs short most days. Have you added gypsum to your soil? It reacts with the clay and actually changes it's consistency. Check it out with a reputable nursery.

Well, this project isn't moving as fast as I hoped it would, but at least I have a good start. The window is finished and DH and I had to do some heaving drilling to make sure this wouldn't fall or rock in the winds.

I have been leveling the ground and placing pavers under the pots. I have moved the pots to several different spaces to get the proper look I want. I have 4 pots finished and a few more to go. I will be interplanting the poor soil with very easy growing plants and mulch.

This picture isn't the best, but I was taking a picture of the window for my sister. Please excuse the mess around the area too....it's a work in progress. lol

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

Here is a picture of the window itself. It is not crooked, just the photographer. lol

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Northern California, CA

Oh it's coming along nicely Donna!

The window is byooootiful! And I love your Angel.....that's a very special piece. It's gonna look so great, please keep us updated on your progress.

And now an image for your DH, who's been working right along side you to create this pretty picture........a shot of the Bay Bridge/Treasure Island on our way to the "Kaboom" a fireworks show done anually by a local radio station.

Northern California, CA

Dallas, TX

Ohhhhh Happestance... I just love your Succulant garden! I sure wish I could do that here in Dallas but the poor darling would not make it thru the winter! :( They do wonderful in the summer heat...but I can only take so many inside.:(
Sylva

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Sedrick,
You would be surprised how many succulents can live through a freezing winter.
After they are frozen I just tip the pots onto their sides kinda to prevent waterlogging during the Spring thaws.
Sorry, but I am unable to post pictures right now, my dumputer is acting up ;'(

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Donna I have not been looking at DG for some time, too busy gardening and away from home, etc. Went through this whole thread. Love the way you are remaking??? your area, the window picture that your sister painted for you is wonderful. Surely have enjoyed this whole thread and look forward to seeing the finished garden area. DonnaS

Hi Donna S,

I've also been pretty busy with life and haven't had time to finish the area completely. I am almost done, just a few more plants to fill some areas and pots. I just bought some coco liner to put into my Iron Angel, as I can't find a pot to fit into her open arms. I would like to find a trailing plant, like a wave petunia for her. The plant in the large square pot will get a lot taller, to take u[ the space on the wall behind it (can't remember the name of the plant right now). I am also getting another wall decoration from frogrus at our RU, it will go next to the painted window.
Please excuse the bad picture and all the stuff laying around. I took this picture last Monday just before we went to my DD's house for a BBQ and I just wanted to show my family what I've done so far.

I will post another picture real soon of the finished project.

Thank you for you nice comments,
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh, wow! You've done a great job! I love the mix of plant and art. The window and the gate are terrific. They add so much.

Did you see that you started this thread exactly one month ago? You sure work fast, my friend!

Northern California, CA

Oh my, it's coming along so nicely Donna! Love the way it is coming together for you. What a change a few weeks can make, from problem to pretty in no time!

Dallas, TX

Scooter
Please Give me some names ok? I got something growing down there now I would love to salvage. Will take pics tommorrow and show you.
Thanks
Sylvia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.