Dracaena help!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I have had a Janet Craig Compacta for almost two years now. It has been growing steadily in that time, but in the past few months the lower leaves have begun turning brown and coming off (one or two at a time, not all at once). Some of the higher leaves have been getting brown tips, and it is starting to look kind of pitiful. Anyway, I was growing it in fairly dim light, so I moved it in front of a west facing window - the blind stays closed so it gets no direct sun. That has only made the tips turn yellow faster! It does need some new soil, although I do not believe it will need a new pot just yet. I water it when the soil feels dry, but must admit that it has been a little neglected at times. Any suggestions on making it happier?

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

You could try misting/increasing its humidity level?

Jenn

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Draceanas normally thrive on neglect and croak when babied and overwatered. If the leaf tips are turning brown it could be mineral (or fertilizer build up). Is there white mineral build-up on the soil surface? If the soil is dry you can flush it by placing it in the bath tub or taking it outside and running water through the pot for a while. I like to do it in the bath tub because I can use room temp water that way. You might also check to see if it's too wet before you flush the soil. Stick a popsicle stick down into the soil in several places. You will need to use a new stick for each place you check. If the stick is moist, it's probably too much water. If it's too wet I would flush the pot, then when it's dripped as much as it's going to, pour some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide around the soil to help oxigenate the roots while you let it dry out some.

K

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I did decide to go ahead and give it fresh soil. There was no white fertilizer build up on top, but to be honest, in my beginner ignorance I had potted it in cheap potting soil and most of the good stuff had slowly worked its way towards the bottom of the pot leaving I guess clay or whatever filler they use sitting on top. It was weird - you would think that the lighter stuff would stay on top and that the thick, heavy stuff would sink to the bottom instead of the other way around. Anyway, the soil towards the middle and bottom of the pot were wet, so maybe the thicker stuff on top was keeping the roots too wet. I potted it in Scotts this time (I read on another thread that it is decent, any thoughts on that?) I have seen some fertilizer build up on a few of my other plants, so as soon as I get the chance I will try the flushing technique on them. I try to mist some of my other plants at least once a day (between work, hubby, and a 4-year-old I sometimes forget!) so I will add this one to my list. I am slowly trying to learn more about the plants and their favorite growing conditions instead of just impulsively buying and sticking them somewhere as I have done in the past. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.