Ant Invasion!!!

About a month or two ago, I noticed a large trail of ants coming from the brush around our house onto our driveway, and then dissipating around the house. We unfortunately choose to ignore them that maybe they were attracted to our neighbors house. We were wrong. In a period of just a couple of days, they invaded our home. Just this morning they were all along the corners of the walls in my family room, up along the eves and along the deck. Huge thick trails of them. I have noticed that there are two different kinds of ants. There are these solid black ones and ones with a section of their bodies being red. It seems the black ones invaded first and the the red ones came and they had a cataclysmic ant war, with the reds ones being the victors. The red ants threw all the black ant bodies out of our house and now millions of ant bodies line our deck. The red ants continue their invasion and are even more persistent then ever. I have called clark pest control and they will be here tomorrow. Does anyone have any remedies to this situation?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, an ant war...and dead bodies to prove it...sounds like a novel! If you've called the pest control folks it sounds like you have the remedy ET. I'm sure whatever they spray will have a residual effect. We had 'em that bad once and between a combination of those little ant bait thingys and white vinegar we wiped 'em out. To this day I still use vinegar for ants.

New Paris, OH

Try sprinkling Nutra sweet® on the trails. The ants generally love the stuff and it will wipe out a colony in about 4 to 5 weeks very permanantly.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Would any one know how long between sprinkling the Nutra Sweet (or using any other bait, take it back to the nest and DIE!!) and a noticable decrease in the ant population? I swear I am feeding these guys, not killing them.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Good ant information and you can bet I'm not using any more Nutra sweet® in my coffee and tea, just in case!!

Judy

Mendo. County, CA(Zone 8b)

Hah! We have ant invasions here every year. I've tried everything -- Comet sprinkled across the trails, cucumber peels, cream of tartar. Nothing worked until a friend told me about Bounce dryer sheets. I stuffed them in the cracks where the ants came in, laid them across trails, and put them under the corner of my fridge (yes, they even got into the fridge). Within a day, they were gone.

My ants are brown, so I don't know how they'll work on yours. But if you have any dryer sheets, it's certainly worth a try!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

WOW I always have those!!! Thanks so much!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.