What to use on tall phlox bottom leaves?

Lawrencetown, NS(Zone 5a)

Am I the only one plagued with losing the bottom leaves on my tall phlox? I used to have all kinds and got fed up with the messy bottom half of the plants so I got rid of them. Then I discovered the varigated leaf varieties and just had to have them. And, here we go again with the same problem. What do you all spray the bottom leaves with. They just disappear and look ratty. I don't know if something is eating them or not. I used to hear it was a not enough air ciruclation problem but that's not the case where I have these new ones.

Anyone?

Thanks for any help

Darlene

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Darlene,
Mine are also doing the same thing with the bottom leaves. I'm just leaving them alone, since the wildflowers in the front of them are camaflouging the unsightly bottom leaves of the Phlox. My Phlox are still blooing a bit but are producing major seeds right now. I was going to cut the tops back for some more flowering but I want to save the seeds for trading later. I also have tall Shasta Daisy and Coreopsis growing with the tall Phlox so the Phlox leaves are not too much of a disaster to look at. If I had the Phlox in a more manicured area, though, it would drive me nuts..lol.
Trish
Oh, I use manure tea regularly over my garden and everthing is doing well, especially in the same garden bed as the Phlox. The Phlox do not look as though they have any fungus or bug problems. A general rule is that if leaves yellow and fall off from the bottom up, it may mean too much water, however, mine aren't watered that much. Maybe bottom leaf loss is intrinsic with tall phlox..?

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 30th 12:10 PM

Santa Barbara, CA

Sometimes yellowing leaves at the bottom may mean that the plant is short on nitrogen and so takes from the older leaves. Sometimes the symptom can be from too little or too much water, sometimes from shading out of formerly "sunleaves". If the plant is otherwise healthy and flowering well, I wouldn't fret.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.