toothpick cactus

Julian, WV

Recently I purchased one of these and planted it outside. I know that the zones for this plant is 9-11 and have read that it can tolerate 18 degrees (-8C) I live in zone 6. So my question is this --- Are there a way of protecting it through the winter months so that I can leave it out all year round?

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear Gayl,

Although not acquainted with the stuff myself, I am told there is a material called 'Freeze Wrap', or some such material, that can be wrapped around plants for protection.Of cousre a blanket will do the same, but perhaps with less aesthetic value.

Julian, WV

Thanks cactusmcharris for the information. I will have to check into it.
I had saw on a tv program where a lady built a removable frame and covered it with plastic to put over some of her cati. It was to protect them from the elements of weather but didnt say if it would protect from the cold. Had thought about trying that. Do you have any ideas on it?

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear Gayl,

Any material covering, even newspaper, would protect it from the cold - the deegree to which it would protect it would depend on the thickness of the material, as well as the permeability of said material to temperature changes. Depending on the thickness of the plastic, I should think that it would cold proof it adequately, but there are a lot of variables (kind of plastic, how cold, etc.). Have you tried to contact anyone in your area that grows succulent plants and may know what is needed?

BTW, is what you have really a cactus, or is it Euphorbia tirucalli? If it doesn't have spines/thorns, chances are it's a Euphorbia, and if so, you might want to do a web search on this euphorbia, as it's one of the most commonly grown, as well as one of the most toxic.

Julian, WV

As of right now I dont know of anyone who grows succulents in my area but am looking to see if I can find a nursery or something. Thanks again for all the information. It is very useful to me.
I am sure it is a cactus (has all the sticky thorns ) and not a Euphorbia. It is a Stetsonia Coryne (toothpick cactus) . Altho I do have a few Euphorbias. Not to long ago I got a Horrida Artic Ice and it has become one of my favorites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.