Your favorite japanese maples for California?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a maple I bought last weekend. It is the most beautiful leaf I have ever seen. It is not a Japanese maple though. It is zoned for 4 to 8, but I am hoping it does OK in my zone.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The backs are a deep mauve. When the wind blows, the leaves flip up and add so much interest. I am in love.

Thumbnail by Kell
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How amazingly wonderful! I'm happy for you. The leaves are beautiful.

I've got an e-mail into mountain maples to ask about the smallest cultivars. We'll see what they say.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I asked my Japanese Maple man about seedling maples and he said that they are like snowflakes, no two are alike.

I did buy a dwarf, Beni Fushigi - see what you did to me? It will only get six feet tall at maturity. A bushy character with small leaves, it's bright red in the spring and the fall. It had been in the sun so was red and green, but in as much shade as it gets will probably turn greener. I love the form.

This message was edited May 13, 2005 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a detail of the leaves. This tree is about 15 years old but it's been in a pot. But I don't think that it's going anywhere fast, and I know that I can keep it under control. It's changed my plan though because underplantings don't make any sense.

Thumbnail by doss
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

A very pretty one, Doss.

South San Francisco, CA

Tyler's Carlmont Nursery in Belmont specializes in Japanese Maples and has a really nice selection. That's where I get all of mine. There's just too many varieties to choose from...I'm gonna have to mortgage the house...again ;o)~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.