CA Natives (cont.)

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Thought the other thread [Plant Files thin on CA Natives] was getting a bit long, so here's a new one. I'm adding the plants in this photo to the database as I have time:

Penstemon 'Margarita BOP' [far right, purple flowers] - already added
Arctostaphylos 'Baby Bear' [next to the BOPs]
Salvia mellifera - Black Sage [big one, you can't miss it]
Ceanothus 'Wheeler Canyon' [low growing dark green plant on the left]
Zauschneria [low growing plant in the front]

Later this summer I should have some others big enough to show off! When we moved into our house last year, we needed something nice to look at, so my other half designed the island (the plants are just less than a year old). The rams were supports under an 8 ft glass dining table we hardly used. They are called Tup and Ha'penny.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2005 10:27 PM

Thumbnail by KaperC

I got a little discouraged about the Zauschneria I planted. It grew, but no flowers and I was counting on the flowers for the hummers who come by. Turns out that where I am, it blooms late in the summer growing season. When it finally burst forth, it was covered with scarlet spikes and the hummers went mad. It has been three seasons now and I'm getting little bonus plants which I intend to transplant to other spots. It does grow lots so give it room.

Thanks, bksmall, I'm glad to hear the Zauschneria will eventually bloom! We've been waiting all this time to see a flower. It's doubled in size now, and has very nice varied foliage -- we keep thinking it's flowering, but it's just the leaves changing color. Good to hear about bonus plants, too, as we really like the plant and will be glad to have some to spread around. We noticed it kind of flattens out in the middle -- is this common? With all the rain we had, I didn't think it was a lack of water, but I'll try throwing a little at it and see what happens.

We have another variety that grows more upright, with wiry looking foliage. They were a favored snack for the gophers, though, so we don't have to many left.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Most of the zauschnerias respond to cutting back in the fall after they have bloomed. They will be a lot neater and all the dead stuff will be gone.

Thanks, Chuck, that's good to know. Right now it looks like some critter is sleeping in the middle of it!

Arroyo Grande, CA

If you are looking for zauschnerias, remember the name changed to epilobium a while back. About the same time they split out the keckiellas from the penstemons.

Winnetka, CA(Zone 9b)

Went up to Big Bear this weekend and saw a yellow flower I have never seen on the trip up there. The flower is a bright yellow, shaped kind of like a snap dragon. The stalk is reed like, no leaves and the flowers grow in a cluster at the tips. Smells pretty too. Grows between 2500 and 5000 feet, by the road.

Does anyone know what this is called? Thanks for your help.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2005 11:13 AM

Hi alliymouse!

Doubt this is it, but it could get you closer if it's similar. Don't you hate it when you don't even know where to start?

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/369.htm

Winnetka, CA(Zone 9b)

kaperc, thanks so much for the pic, beautiful snapdragon but not the plant I saw. It really is hard when you don't even know where to begin. This plant had no leaves.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Spanish broom is probably what u saw @ Big Bear? http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/lands/weeds/spanbrm.htm they bloom during spring time. they are very fragrant specially at night.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

i have both scotch broom and Spanish broom, love them, too bad the snails adore them!!!!
Annie

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Good call, MaVie!
~'spin!~

Arroyo Grande, CA

Carpenteria californica is a great plant. This one is about two years old from a gallon can. Did not do much last year but is blooming like crazy this year.

Thumbnail by Chuck1260

That's a beauty, Chuck!

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks,

I bought a couple more because I didn't think this one was going to amount to much and it really surprised me with all these blooms. I guess the lesson is you have to have some patience with the natives and let them get through a winter before expecting very much.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Very useful thread for us. . .thanks for a great start. I just read through the first part and now this continuation. Even though we've had more than our normal share of rain this year, usually we're in drought cycles it seems and native plantings are highly encouraged here in San Joaquin Valley. I didn't see a reference (could have missed it, apologies if so, it's early, one eye still closed ;-d) for the California Native Plant Society. Lots of great information and direction to other sources. I am fortunate to live 1 block from a new botanical garden and a month or so ago, many of the ceanothus were blooming beautifully. Have to go back and take a look and take my camera. They have all the plants labeled. Wish I had time to volunteer there, but my volunteering is maxed out w/another public garden.

;-Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.