Pony Tail Palms

Pearland, TX

I have a pony tail palm, base about 12 inches, about 4 feet tall and the top was broken off recently during the move to the outside,and I want to know if their is any help for my plant and should I trim the stalk in any way?

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

If it broke the stalk off close to the base with part of the base attached then you can try to re root the top by placing rooting hormone powder on it and buring the stalk slightly below the soil line in just damp potting soil. Be careful not to over water it and give it a little bottom heat ,like on top of a low heating pad. The base may resprout???

Good luck .

MsC

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Trim the cut area to reduce insect invasion and rot problems. If the Beaucarnea recurvata is healthy, it will produce new growth toward the top of the old stalk. Pruning the tip forces the plant to produce multiple stalks. I used to have one in a 24 inch pot. When it broke the pot, I planted it in the ground. Over time the tip was damaged, but it resprouted new stalks.
BettyDee

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

It should send up several new stalks. It might take it a little while to do so, but it will. Just don't water it while it doesn't have any growth on it - keep in on the dry side (in other words, water only when it's gotten very dry). I had one where I cut the top of because I wanted it to branch, and it sent up about 8 or 10 shoots. I thinned them to 5. I have a seedling the the top got broken off in shipping. I decided to keep it, and now it's trying to send up about 7 or 8 shoots - and it's only got about a 3" base! I thinned that one, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.