odd growth on plumosa fern

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

My plumosa fern is putting out odd shoots... It did last spring, but I kept them cut off. Now, I let 2 grow to see what happens. These shoots have small spikes on them, are not getting the ferny foliage like normal shoots, and they are growing up to 3 feet long. Does anyone know what these are? And should I keep cutting them off?
Thanks,

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

That's interesting. I have no idea what they are, but I looked up that fern on the Plant Files and someone has posted a picture of an odd shoot that looks like what you're explaining.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Isn't that what they do as they grow? I had one years ago that did that, then the 'plumes' showed up later. Got a pic we can see?
K

I don't have a picture, but there is a good picture of it in the plantfiles - these spikes are a little different because the "plumes" haven't shown up yet.....
Mara

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I bet they will Mara, and you can always cut them off later if they don't. This fern climbs, so I think this is just the new growth. For this plant, as my Father would say, "This is probably just TFA....("typical fern action"). Like I said, you can always cut it off later if it doesn't "plume out".

Karen :~D

Thanks,
I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know what happens with it!
-Mara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.