blooming hens and chickens

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

On June 5 Zanymuse posted a picture of her hens and chickens in full bloom. I had never seen them in bloom. She said she watered them after a long dry spell and they bloomed then. Does anyone know how I can get mine to bloom?
I don't have many long dry spells in the mountains of NC. You can see a photo of mine planted in a hexagonal drain tile set up on end. They look great with the babies hanging over the sides, but no bloom. I asked her and she said she had very acid soil too, so that's not it........Help!

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear WS1,

Since they are growing well for you, I would say it's just a matter of time. Some things may grow and grow, but until they reach a certain maturity, or feel that urge to flower, they won't, even though they are vegetatively reproducing. I have aloes that pup one after the other, but they have never flowered (Aloe rupestris, for one).

As you may know, both Echeverias and Sempervivums (among others) are commonly named 'Hens and Chicks', but one doesn't die after flowering; the other does.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

it's the sempervivums that die after flowering isn't it?

lil

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

Dear Lilith,

The flowering head of a Semp dies, but the pups live on.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

aww thats so cute to call em pups :)

lil

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Woodspirit, I hope yours bloom for you. But To be honest I do not know if all types bloom or not! Maybe we need to find out if the type you have is supposed to bloom?

As for mine, I still have some I can send out if you would like some? Just e-mail me your addy if you want them!:)

Two of my Hens are blooming. One is a Blood Tip & the other I have not identified yet.
I will try to save some seeds - if they make seeds. I have a lot of them for trade also, If someone is interested.

They bloomed after I accidently left them in a box with no drainage & they soaked in water for a week. But they were big old ones to start with. None of the young ones bloomed.

Sue

Here is my trade page - click on the Hyperlink: (I also have a Succulent Society Sale listed):

http://hometown.aol.com/jones90319/myhomepage/index.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.