Other kitchen growing projects for kids?

(Zone 5b)

red_princess_71's thread about growing plants from sweet potatoes inspired me to ask this question. What else is a fun kitchen gardening project for kids besides the sweet potato and avocado?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

if you are going to grow any kind of bean -- do the wet paper towel thing in the clear glass-- let them sprout and grow a bit- transplant to a pot and then out to the garden.

A birdseed garden-- plant millet,sunflowers and the like add a bird feeder or birdbath..

Heather

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I had a tangerine seed sprouting at one point, until we went on vacation and our cats ruined it. I want to try it again, though. I also want to try an olive pit and a coffee bean. My houseplant book (The Houseplant Expert) suggests carrot tops, citrus seeds, dates, and peanuts. There's also a thread (or perhaps it's burried in a recent avocado thread) about starting pineapple tops. Plenty of fun for kids and adults alike!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Carrot tops! Cut a carrot about an inch down from the "green" end. Place the stub in a dish of water in a sunny window and soon you will see tiny white roots, then the green tops will grow. Fun!

There's always the avacado seed sprouting in water (do the same as you would with the sweet potato, toothpicks and all). I believe you can to the same with a pineapple top too.

K

Greenback, TN

You could let them make their own beta fish bowls complete with plant...

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Oops, I meant treat the pineapple like the carrot, set the top in a dish of water.
K

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Just bought a Hyacinth Bean--a.k.a. Lablab vine--and read that it's great for kids. EASY and it produces lovely bean pods for the kids to collect for next year's planting. =)

I give all of my freebie seed packets to the kids.....amazing really, I can't do squat w/seeds, but the ones I donate to the kids seem to DO things for them! I'm sure it's due to all of the "May I water my seeds now, Mommy?"

;-) MKJ

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Growing lentils and beans like sprouts...and then eating them!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

That does sound fun! Do you plant them in dirt, or grow them on a moist something-or-other else?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Almost any citrusy fruit works. I've grown Key Lime and Tangerine, and I know Orange, Lemons and Limes grow fast from seed......when they gain a little size and you rub the foliage you can smell the citrus scent on your fingers!

I've never tried the carrot tops, but love that idea..... they have that cool 'ferny' foliage!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.