New Plants

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm just curious. I have a habit of buying plants when I'm feeling down. Most women got out and buy a new outfit...I buy plants. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this. lol

Here are pictures of my four newest plants. #1 is peperomia. I'm not sure which variety, because all it said on the tag was "peperomia"

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

#2 is lipstick plant...

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

#3 is a birdsnest fern...

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Lastly, a goldfish plant....I love this one!

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a closeup of the goldfish plant. I really do love this one. I hope it's not hard to take care of.....

Thumbnail by jdee
Greenback, TN

I do the same thing jdee! Nothing cheers me up faster than new pot of bright daisies or flowers in the center of my table. I love the feel of a room full of lush plants.

I moved my daisies outside yesterday to cheer up the whole yard hehehe.

Thumbnail by TammyTN
Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Oh, no you're certainly not the only one. I recently picked up a Harts tongue fern, 2 pererommias, a variegated creeping fig, and trailing strawberry begonia.
You'll like the godlfish plant. Little care. Seems to like the constant warmth in my office (no air conditioning and heat is on from Oct 1-May1), late afternoon sun and not too fussy about water. I leave for 9 days at a time so as long as it's watered beforehand it's fine.
Shoes, clothes-not much fun at all compared to new plants!!

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I knew ya'll would understand. lol In fact, I find that shopping for clothes depresses me more, but plants.....good ole non-judgemental plants. lol

Gorgeous daisies, TammyTn.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

LOL! Last time I was at Ikea-- two "tropical foliage" plants literally JUMPED into my cart (one brought babies!) and at walmart the plants and seeds have a habit of "talking"to me.. What do they say you ask?? SAVE ME!!!!! I'm root bound I need water I need love GET ME OUT OF HERE!

LOL!

Heather

This message was edited Mar 28, 2005 10:47 PM

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! I understand. I try to keep my plants out of reach of my cats, so my husband usually has to get them down for me to water. Last night, I told him (trying to be the good, patient wife) "Baby, When you get the chance (That was my first mistake), will you get my peace lily down for me?" He always eventually gets to it, but this poor plant was drooping terribly. He was watching a TV show, and when it was over, I asked him again, with a little more force, "Now will you please get my plant down for me?" I have to tell you that I'm known for not having a lot of patience when I want something to be done. I think it's because if I don't do it then, while I'm thinking about it, I'll forget. I told him that I couldn't believe he couldn't hear it in there screaming "I'm wilting! Please Help me!" lol He just laughs at my obsessiveness.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh no, jdee, you are not alone. buying new clothes can depress me!!! When I realize I can't fit into anything smaller than a 12, I become pretty sad. And when those 12's start bulging, that's sure to plumment into a deep depression.(I'm being colorful, but you get the idea!LOL)

Plants are a different story. You can eat 2 salmon cakes, green beans with ham hocks and mashed potatoes loaded with butter, and they could care less. Try feeding that to your brand new size 12 suit!!!!!!!!!! It will protest at the seams!!!!!! Plants reward you with lush new growth, if you take care of them properly. yeah, jdee, I'd rather look at new plant any day than me in a new article of clothing! LOL

My latest additions are: sansevieria 'suffruticosa', sans 'hahnii', hoya carnosa tricolor, spider 'bonnie', philo 'brasil', calathea 'ornata', ficus 'sylvie'(tricolor rubber plant), hoya compacta, hoya compacta variegate, sation pothos, philo 'moonlight', philo 'autumn', philo 'prince of orange', and Moses-in-the-cradle'. I think I forgot some, but these were all purchased within the last two weeks. I absolutely adore them all!!!!!!!! I talk to them everyday. :)))))))))

I digress....you are NOT alone!

GH

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I even have my 2 year old telling my plants in the basement to "grow plants grow!" she thinks it's a riot!

Heather

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey, much cheaper than therapy. I do it all the time! Hubby keeps saying we're out of room, but I can always find some. Nothing better to put a smile on your face than a great new little baby! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Never out of room for more plants! I'm a guy and a new plant always lifts my spirits.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

So it's not just a girl thing. We all do it.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, jdee, you are most definitely NOT the only one! My husband calls my plants "the tribbles." Can't wait to tell him--HA! Guys do it too, Carter! Besides, he has acknowledged that my plant "habit" is cheaper than say, jewels........;-)

MKJ

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! I would be one sparkly lady by now if my addiction were jewels....and I only started last year. Are all of you telling me that it gets worse?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, as I glance to the left of my computer, and survey the um, 200ish plants JUST in that corner..........NOT to say that I'm a morbidly UNhappy woman, and buy plants all day!! lol I just love to buy plants......and more plants.........and oh! the plants I don't already have!

=) MKJ

p.s. Although, I DO preen when the articles/news segments point to how plants add "healthy air" to the house. Husband says we have the "healthiest house on the block." With a grimace......

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I was afraid of that. Last night as I was lying in bed, looking up at the cieling, I was wondering where I might can put more plants if this keeps up. I have to keep them out of reach of the kitties, so I was trying to figure out how I could put a shelf, just above the doorways, that goes all teh way around the room. lol

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Jdee, it gets mu-u-u-ch worse, LOL!! Anyone who shops with me knows that a trip to HD is not about doing anything but looking for new housplants. And if it is about something else the houseplants still are the first order of business.
A simple trip to the grocery store or wallyworld requires scoping out the plants before any other shopping as well. Vacations are definately planned around botanical gardens, arboreatums, infamous nurseries, etc...A ride in the mountains, well, DH is used to me yelling, "STOP" so that I can look at some plant that's caught my eye or a seedpod I want!!
Never claimed to be sane-but I do love plants..

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Well i must admit this as well, I would rather go to lowes, kmart,walmart, or any store that will possibly sell a plant. I absolutly hate grocery shopping, clothes shopping but I will plant shop at any given time.
My girls and hubby laugh at me when i open my blinds in the morning, talking to my plants telling them good morning and asking if they want to see the sun...and when i water them ask them if they are thirsty...my younger daughter who is 8, almost 9 is now taking a liking to houseplants and i've cought her a few times talking to her plants...just melts my heart.. My hubby thinks i am a loon and needs to be admitted in a loony bin but i tell him to just tend to his own business..hehehe

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Red, there's a special corner in Heaven for us. And, it's very green. =)

MKJ

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

jdee,

The first plant that you have is called Peperomia "Green Valley", or Peperomia Japonica, at least that is what the tag says that came with mine. It is one of my favorite houseplants. I love the contrast between the green leaves and the reddish looking stems. Mine is from Exotic Angel, who does have a habit of mixing up their name tags but I hope this one is right.

JesseK

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the name, JessieK. Mine is also an Exotic Angel plant, so I'm sure it's the same one. I usually end up buying thier plants, because they're usually the healthier looking plants.

somewhere, PA

plant-a-holics unite! Nothing like some new plants to perk up the mood.
Its at the point now that I can't go on vacation w/o finding a house sitter.
We put in a greenhouse 5 yrs ago so now the house & the greenhouse
are FULL and it takes daily water (greenhouse) and lots of time to water
them all. Somehow, I manage to kill or give away enough to find room
for more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.