My Abutilon

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Just wanted to share the first blooms of my Abutilon.. Got it as a cutting (or actually there are two of them..) from a gardener from teh Finnish gardening site last Fall, and it grew nice roots in the water glass, and just stayed alive over the Winter in the water as I was too lazy to plant it. Then the cuttings started getting yellow etc so I finally planted them, and then they really got a boost! I snapped off the top and they became a bit more bush-like, and now they are blooming. And what a nice shade of pink :)

I want more of these :D

Thumbnail by Evert

Close-up of the flower

Thumbnail by Evert
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Evert,
Gorgeous Plant. Thanks for the pictures.
Patti

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Very nice, Evert.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I have one I got from someone at a swap..It is alive and healthy,But it is just one tall piece..If I cut the top that won't kill it? Because I would like it to bush out,right now it is about 6'tall.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Beautiful....congrats.
Kaleem

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I have a variegated abutilon that I was growing indoors, sprawling all over the sill. I put it in a rotten area of the garden, with alot of clay, and voila! It bloomed its orange bells! Felt guilty and repotted into a wonderful mix, and now, no bloom. Ahh well........

Enjoy yours!
MKJ

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Beautiful, Evert...lucky you!

Cinnabor....cut away! It will help your plant to 'bush out'.

I live in Wi, and a friend from GA who had sent me some abutilons and insisted I grow one in-ground outdoors during the summer....I highly recommend anyone should try it!
It was incredible! It seemed to enjoy cool nights, bloomed like crazy in early summer and fall, not so much during the hottest part of the summer.

Hey MKjones....is yours A. megapotamicum...the trailing one?
If so, let me know if you every want to trade a cutting!
I lost mine when my son was ill.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry Nan, mine's "Thompsonii." If I ever come across the megapotamicum, I'll keep you in mind though!

=) MKJ

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Evert - Do you know the name of your Abutilon? It's lovely!

No.. but it is of an old stock.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous, Evert. I luv flowering maples. I'm hoping I can find some of the different trailing ones in my travels here in Deltona.
:) Donna

somewhere, PA

I had a flowering maple for 15+ years. It was wonderful! I would cut it back
hard in the spring when it got too tall and it'd come back bushy & healthy.
Somewhere along the way it got mealybugs and I fought them for quite a
few years. I kept washing them off with lots of qtips & alcohol and finally
just gave up. Gorgeous plant & clearly long-lived. (The cuttings can be rooted
in water too).

Enjoy!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I have one too, and was wondering if I put it "in ground" this summer, should it be shade or sun? It has never bloomed , but is a healthy house plant I got in a trade last fall. I wish I had kept a journal of what I got from who, here at Dave's. I have many grat plants due to trades. Thanks one and all. Lou

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Lou...mine was in full sun, but I think a spot with sun for even just part of the day would be fine.

If you do plant in-ground, be sure to acclimate it to the sun and wind outdoors first so your leaves don't sunburn (you probably already knew that, though!)

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks, for the reminder. I probably should start doing that now. I hope it does well outside. Lou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.