Wisteria Finally going to bloom.....long story

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Peter Valder says that the number one reason why wisterias don't bloom is lack of full sun.

Here's the whole tree:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I've always figured it was a combination of lack of full sun, and the plant having been grown from seed.
I'm just thrilled it's finally going to bloom. :-)

Can't wait to see your blooms, Marc. Oh, yes, wisterias can take years and years to bloom from seed. Now that it is blooming this year, it should bloom for you in subsequent years.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Clare.........everything I've read says the same thing, once it starts blooming it will only get better and better.
WoooHooo!!

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

You're probably going to think I'm crazy, but a couple of seasons back my Wisteria sinensis didn't break dormancy as it always had before. It always blooms before the W. floribundas do, but that year no life was present, not even a swollen bud, even as the others were in full bloom. I thought I had lost it to the winter when I remembered seeing a gardening show about trees that don't bounce back after a severe winter. Apparently sometimes the sap doesn't flow up the trunk to the branches as it should and needs coaxing up the limbs. The solution was gentle "tapping" with a padded rod or a piece of rubber hose from base to tip to coax the sap up the limbs. I thought it was nonsense but I gave it a try. My neighbors were amused to see me "beating" my vine and I gave up after 3 days of embarassment. About a week later the vine was full of buds and leaf shoots. I was quite surprised, but it did actually work! There must be something to this. Do you think maybe the windstorm whipping the branches had the same affect to stir up the sap and get it going?

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have heard that technique used on maples......I doubt the wind storm had anything to do with mine, since the bloom buds were already there. They ahd just gone un-noticed by me till I was reattaching the vine during the wind storm.
Purdy pic Sabrakhan :-)

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Oh my godness this is very very pretty vine.... may I have a cutting? Can't resist my self to asking for cutting.
Kaleem

Sabrakhan, that wisteria is lovely!

Kaleem, I've never had any lucky rooting wisteria cuttings. Root cuttings work much better.

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

Yes, I was very lucky to find this particular specimen at a local nursery. Although it was the only one unlabeled, it already had 2 blooms on it when it was no higher than 3 ft. in it's gallon pot. After I took a whiff, and it was very fragrant, I just had to grab it up. Best wisteria buy I ever made, and I have had many, both from seed and purchased potted. It's still not that large yet, but it's blooms are litterally PACKED on the branches. So many flowers that I have to stake it or they weigh the poor thing down.
I've tried to propagate from cuttings but of the 20 or so only 2 actually took and neither made it through winter. I'll try again this season and see if I have better luck.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Then how is it possible for me, is there any body who have rooted cutting.
SabraKhan
Your name very similar to Pakistani name.
Kaleem

SabraKhan, you did indeed get lucky with that one. I've never seen so many blooms on one plant!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

My Grandmother said to beat wisteria with a broom and it would bloom... Over the last twelve years, one wisteria has interwoven lattice work (8' by 10') and destroyed it. I must have beat it too much and got on the wrong side of it. Pretty blooms though...

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Ours destroyed the lattice too....tore it right off the side of the shed.
Hadn't heard about using a broom....would have tried that too. :-)
I'm just glad it's finally setting bloom.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The first bloom began to open this morning.....here is a quick shot I took before running off to work.
I'm wondering if the color is off becouse it is so young (bloom wise), or if there is indeed a white/lavender flowered variety.
I'm SO excited!!!!!

Marc

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful!

Marc, the color doesn't look off to me! It looks beautiful! There are a couple different varieties that look like that, but I can't think of their names off the top of my head.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

What does the budding part look like when the bloom is forming?
I have 2 odd looking spurs on my pink that I've never seen before.
This is the first year it didn't die back to the gound,its staked ,cause I wanted to train it to a standard.........

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Clare.....I was expecting the avearge purple/lavender color. I do kind of like the two tone white and lavender look though. :-)

Crested, look at the pictures near the top of this thread and you will see the buds.
To me they resemble fuzzy hotdogs :-)

Marc

Marc, check out this link: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg042306418051.html?11

Does your wisteria climb clockwise or counterclockwise? I can check Peter Valder's wisteria book to see if I can come up with a name of one that looks like yours.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

So Wisteria sinensis is it :-) I'll have to check reagrding the direction of the 'twine', and let ya know.
Thanks again for your help Clare

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.