Shiny Leaves

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some stuff that said Shine leafs but it dosen't shine any body got and ideas how to shine leaf? To make them really Shine
Dimmer

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

An old wives tale used to be to not shine the leaves because any stuff that you put on a leaf will stop up the holes that it needs to breathe. (Back then we used olive oil.)

Anyone else with an idea?

Nancy Lee

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know that the plant people that look after watering caring for plants in offices just take a damp cloth and just wipe down the leaves. You don't want to coat them with anything so that they can't breath.
:) Donna

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I used to use the "Leaf Shine" stuff, but quit using it a while back for the very reason PernnialGirl said. Now I just use a damp paper towel and wipe the leaves every so often.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Dip a cloth in milk and wipe the leaves. It works great. I've done it many times. Just be sure to only have the cloth damp, and not sopping wet. :o) jenny

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks all great information
Kim

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I know when ever I go to a floral shop the leaves on there plants are always soooo shiny. I use to use Leaf Shine on my rubber plant and it did make the leaves very shiny, but since the plant has gotten so large with so many leaves I don't use it any more. But I have heard that Leaf Shine can cause the leaf not to be able to breath. I don't know how true it really is, cause when I used it I didn't have any problems.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Most, but not all, of the breathing holes (stomata) are located on the underside of the leaves of plants.
So, products like Leaf Shine, mayo, milk aren't really going to interfere with transpiration.

Personal opinion is that it's a waste of money, time and effort and makes plants appear fake.
If you are taking good care of your plants and they are healthy, simply wiping the leaves of dust or giving them a tepid shower is far better than products that can attract dust, or go sour.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am told, also, that chemicals in water can leave a calcium build up on the leaves...sort of a white film...and that an easy way to get rid of it is to wipe down with CocaCola. I am with Caron...showers are better!!!

Carol

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Caron, you said everything I was going to say. So I second your post. :)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

After wiping several hundred leaves with mayo a few months ago- I decided natural was way better! LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Another thing- We used a shine product at work for the plants- it always bubbled and looked caked on if the sunlight hit the plants for too long. Was really nasty and attracted dust.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.