I'd like to, but I don't know how or what to prune
(26 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Other?
(25 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i voted other cuz its a little hard to prune yet here in Michigan with 2ft snow drifts everywhere some spots even deeper! -buts its rainning and melting today!!

**another reason we need our michigan forum! ;)

I voted other also - everything's still under snow - it IS melting though - I can see the the tops of my little 8" fence at the back now.... spring is coming - I could almost smell it yesterday....

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

clueless here, and nothing is going to get done now till after my surgery.
Yikes, hope the stuff makes it ok.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I pruned my guava tree. It´s still short but the branches got too long, blocking the path I´m making around it. Also it will help the little fruits to grow stronger... I hope.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I put other as not only is the job not completed, we did not do it ourselves. We had someone come in and prune all the fruit trees, berries, grapes, wisteria, kiwi, roses, and a few other things. We just moved here and have a fairly large yard now that has been neglected and damaged thru poor pruning in the past. So we thought it best to get it back in shape by using someone who knew what they were doing! I still have to prune back a lot of the perennials that were not cut back after last growing season.

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

The weather is just getting where I like it for pruning. When the wind dies down...I'm going out to do just that.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

HeLLLLLLLLOOOOoooooooooo?! Yes! I've pruned my bushes because with spring coming & GOING (ugh), I've had little else TO do! lol So thrilled to see shoots & new leaves everywhere, bulbs blooming!! YAY!

MKJ

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I checked "other". The "yet" in the question seems to imply that there is a time when you don't prune and then a time when you start again. Here, something needs pruning all of the time. It is never finished. It's sort of like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. When you get done at one end, it's time to start over again at the other.

Modi'in, Israel

I voted 'other' too. Like Kelli, I always have something to prune a bit here and there. Yes, there is a big mass of things that need pruning or cutting back in fall and spring. I got all of my grasses cut back over the past few weeks (usually I do that in late fall, but was lazy this year ;-). All of my citrus trees got a hair cut last week. My Vitex trifolium got a very nice shave under his chin a few days ago and now he's a small tree instead of a bush ;-). The perenniel plants like chrysanthemums I cut back in late fall as they were all flopped over and looking very stupid LOL. Now they are very nice tidy balls of green growing steadily. This year I've vowed to keep them tidy so they won't flop over again in fall! We'll see come fall how well I stuck to that promise ;-). I keep looking at my Salvia officinalis and thinking how I need to cut back some of the less attractive stems, but just keep "not" doing it. LOL. This is the one that keeps me from voting "all done". In a few weeks, I'll have some winter/spring annuals to clear out, but that's a whole 'nuther ball game than pruning LOL

-Julie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've pruned everything - the apple a couple of months ago. But you have to do that here. The flowering crabapples are already blooming and the Japanese Maples are getting their leaves. I had someone in to do some maples this year because some needed a lot of work and he did one I didn't want him to do. :-( Oh, well, it will grow back. He did a great job on the others.

I'm pruning back the perennials now and pinching the hydrangeas. I don't prune the vines except for dead growth until June. And the Clematis are coming up so I pruned them last weekend. At least the ones that need to be pruned. I need to tip prune the butterfly bushes and the princess flowers so I'll do that this weekend.

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

Would love to get out there and prune, but everything is still under snow.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Everything is pruned and ready to go here at my house but I still have the house that Mom lived in to do and will go there tomorrow to get that done. While there I have to dig up alot of her perennials and move them here so when the house sells I have all I want out of the yard.

I can hardly wait to prune the white bark birch because I really want those branches for an art project I want to do.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've pruned all the trees and rose bushes! Yay! I even pruned my neighboor's rose bushes. This was the first year I've ever pruned anything so was a good learning experience. I had to use a saw to cut some really large rose canes that were rubbing. It's almost impossible to get a clean cut with a saw.

Longboat Key, FL

Pruned? More likely described as "hacked." But only the kumquat. It keeps me busy finding friends who will eat them. The fruits are almost all gone, and the buds have not yet formed -- so now's the time. And, I want to keep it low so I don't need a ladder. It does very well.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I 've pruned some of them...others have to wait untill no heavy frosts are 'nt coming anymore..we 've had -20C only a couple days ago....oooh...please send me some spring and oooh...some nice warm temperature..I have enough of this cold..we 've had Christmas and the cold weather helps to make these days cosy...but now these days have passed...so from now only sunshine please !

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I dont really have anything to prune yet, : (. Well wait, I did prune my B-fly bushes in the fall so I guess that counts. LOL

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

The hurricanes of 2004 did all my pruning, thank you very much! LOL It's amazing the comeback everything is making, but the high winds forecast for today may start the process all over again!
Pati

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

if i walked through 3 feet of snow I could prune!
Maria

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Voted yes, but have only pruned the Apple and Flower Crab trees...still have to prune the shrubs.

It was 66 degrees here on Saturday!

Back into the 20's/30's today, though...boohoo!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm with Christine, aria and the others in the northeast: there's too much snow here to prune! But I'm enjoying hearing about everyone else's trees....guava in Brazil....citrus in Israel....mmmmm, I can almost feel the warmth! :-) Thanks everyone.

Shannon

This message was edited Mar 8, 2005 1:20 PM

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I need to prune, but not sure what branches should be cut off. I have 2 Holly Bushes that are getting large & I really need to prune them. Then after the Lilacs bloom I need to prune it, but don't know if I should prune the old growth or the new or what?
Now Weeding - I always need to do that, but that's another subject. :)
Jan

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

Other- we've started but we're a long way from done. Well, actually, it's NEVER done here. We're always pruning something! LOL!
JenG

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I selected "other"....can't prune yet, too cold out there and too much snow on the ground here in Northern Michigan. I will probably be ready to prune in a month or so....but I must get to the Apple trees before they start to bud.

A note to Dravencat.......I always thought you had to wait to prune Butterfly bush till spring, as its a later starter....?? Any comments on that?? Also I always wait still spring to prune my Roses, as if you prune to early they will think its time to wake up....

Deann

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

i voted no, but it is because there's too much snow! And so much snow damage to the trees, pruning will have to start with a chain saw, then a pruning saw -I just bought a new one- then loppers, and then hand pruners. We need a huge brush burning fire too!

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

I voted other. I always have something that needs pruning or trimming. I've such a tremendous variety of plants indoors and out. Recently outside during a mild spell I pruned some porcelain vine overgrowth. Also I pruned out some dying branches from a texas fire bush inside.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 8a)

I voted that I have already pruned. I have been pruning and am still pruning. This winter has been so off and on. All my roses are putting out new growth and I have pruned most of them back but some of them are bad about getting freeze damage at the end of the canes and I worry about another bad freeze yet. Last year we had a good late one and all my new growth was frozen off. Of course, I will still have alot of pruning to do after blooming on the plants that don't get pruned now. I used to enjoy pruning. Now I am just pruned out!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I voted yes, because I've done some, but not all of it. We plan on doing alot this weekend.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Pruning, oh yeah, right...because Spring is just 2 weeks away...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

LOL, Seequee! Yeah, pruning is a funny thought right now. Hey, maybe a relative northerner should make up the next poll question...like, how many feet of snow do you have? Or, how many snow shovels have you chipped so far this year, trying to get the ice off your driveway? Or, how many of your trees have been chewed on by rabbits climbing up snowbanks to get above the chicken wire that you had wrapped around the tree last fall? :-) Hmmm....that last one could actually fit in this pruning category...lol :-) Pruning by rabbits.

Shannon

(edited for typos)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 1:38 PM

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Some pruning was done in the fall and early winter and some will need to be done after spring flowering. Hydrangesas in late august depending on the type and weather. Jessamine

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I pruned some. Do roses get pruned or do they grow off of old growth?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Capt.Micha.......The best time to prune most roses is in early spring, when the rose breaks winter dormancy. Rule of thumb here in Michigan is never prune roses before the forsythia shrubs have bloomed. If you prune in the fall it will stimulate new growth that can be winter killed...As far as how much should be pruned, it varies ...you should cut back winter damaged canes. I usually cut back my mini roses quite a bit, and its amazing how fast they grow back and much fuller. My climbers I am very careful with, cutting back only dead wood as you want the rose to produce long canes so flowering lateral branches will develop. Hybrid teas should be pruned to three to five buds on four to six well spaced canes.....Actually depending on the type of roses you have, there are different methods...

Deann

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I only have two minis, I think a good pruning will do they good.

One... unknown... full sized, I'll only do a little.

And a Rosa Rugosa species. How much should I cut that one?

I promised myself I was going to feed these roses this year!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I cut rosa rugosa back to about 18-24 inches high and take out the old dead wood. They grow back very fast.

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm still learning what to prune and when to prune. Sorry you guys in the NE have snow. YUCK! It snows at night down here. Melts off in the day. Predictions are for 3 whole days without percipitation. Heart be still!!!! This weekend I'm going to learn about fruit tree pruning with Master Gardener class. I'll be pruning redosier dogwoods this weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.