Houseplant Ideas?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for a simple way to grow lush houseplants for my bedroom and bathroom.

My bathroom has a small window so doesnt get a whole bunch of sunlight.

What plants do well in a low light bathroom?
I'd really really love to have a 'living wall' by placing planters directly onto the wall.
And some beside my toilet directly under my window. So trailing plants would be so awesome.

I'd really really like some fluffy ferny looking plants too- but don't wanna murder them in the process, lol.

For my bedroom- it gets decent light- but plants that need really strong light probably wouldnt be happy there.
Whats a nice tall (about 5 foot) plant I can grow to break up some smaller plants?

What's a really good way to fertilize houseplants?

This winter has shown me- we have to have alot of green stuff in the house when the yard looks dead. LOL

Thankies guys!

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I'm just going to give you suggestions based on what I'm growing and what does really well, no matter what.. I have a philodendron in my bathroom - not a whole lot of light, but it does awesome in there! (it's not really fern-like, but it does trail beautifully)

A corn plant or a ficus tree would do well in the bedroom spot you described. I have a neat ficus (the variety starts with an A... I can't remember the exact name, but I know it's listed on this site).. Its leaves arelong and narrow, and it looks great no matter where it is and what happens to it.

I use a slow release fertilizer for my houseplants, so then you don't have to worry about fertilizing every few weeks, etc.
Hope that helps!
-Mara

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Hard to beat a Kentia palm (or group of them) for darker areas of the house... great for tropical look and 'sort of' ferny. Pothos are hard to kill even for me and good dangling plants for bathrooms.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Well don't ask what kind of plants I have an Ivy that took 4 years to grow I was in my best friends wedding and that was one of the flowers I just stuck in water and kept cutting andthe next is a small jade tree the one on the Tv is some kind of spider plant and the big one I took out of a waitting room in the Hospital and it just started to grow that is about my 4th plant no idea what it is called I will have to send more than 1 picture I wish you could send more
Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The one in the back is a very slow growing Mother in law I think
Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thas the wrong pic
Dim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Last one the word above was( That) not
Thas

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I agree, a ficus would probably do well in your bedroom. Quick ficus tip, maybe you all know this, but I just learned it. When/If your ficus gets leggy, not so compact....whatever you want to call it....it can be heavily pruned...I practically cut the whole top half off of mine, and WOW! Best thing I ever did for that plant. It's growing back so full and bushy now. :O) The only thing with a ficus is once you find a "home" for it, don't move it. They are very sensitive to change.

The first thing I thought of for your bathroom is a pothos. I have 2 kinds, a golden pothos and a marble queen pothos. Both are very easy to care for, have a trailing habit, and don't require much light. Or how about a Neanthe Bella Palm. They don't require much light either. Spider/Airplane plants do well in lower light also.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I agree a fiscus or a pothos would do well in your bathroom, but so would a sweedish ivy. They don't require direct lighting but do well in a lighted window. They are fast gowers, sculpted, round leaves that are vine like.It would do dreat in a hanging basket or a plant stand. They get very full,
and when they get too full long , you can cut them back and use the cuttings to start new plants.
Cutting the back also encourages the plant to get fuller.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you guys!! I'm looking up these plants. Those are some pretty plants Dimmer!

What about any blooming houseplants? Would a cereus do alright? I'm rooting several cuttings now.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Crimsontsavo, if you go to www.goldenacregarden.com/gguide/houseplants/list.htm you will find a list of hanging houseplants if you scroll down to the bottom with a listing of what light the need, which ones flower(it will say if they flower or if it's foliage) I beleive you can purchase them on line too.
Unless your lucky, I don't think you'lll find what you want in any nursery.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for the link! (hugs)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.