Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Another leaf...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And worse...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I don't know, but mine was doing the same thing. Iit might be lack of humidity. I put a tray with pebbles and water under it and I mist it occasionally, and it hasn't spread. Hope this helps. :)

Kelly

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've seen the same thing on mine. It's from low humidity. I try to mist mine at least once a day as well as keep it on a try of wet pebbles. Make sure it's not near a heat source as that will dry them out faster than anything else--found out the hard way on that one.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone here! I was soooo freaking! I NEVER buy a grown plant and I was soooo afraid I'd done something B-A-D!

First off, the plant says lotsa light and water. Then I read somewhere else that they don't do well in direct sun so I moved it to a bright spot that only gets direct sun for a couple of hours. Then I realized that it was in a draft every time I leave the door open. So I moved it again. Then I realized it was over a baseboard heater and was drying out too fast so I moved it again. Then I noticed the damaged leaves. Now I'm exhausted! Sometimes it's good to come to work so I can relax! LOL!

Thanks for the tips - I will up my misting from 2-3 times a week to twide a day and see what happens! Will also try the pebbles and a humidity hood.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Usually leaf tip burn means a build up of "salts" in the soil. It could be either fertilizer or just mineral build up from watering. When this happens I flush the pot (set it in the sink and run room temp. water through until it runs clear). Sometimes I even take some of the top of the soil off (be careful of top roots) and either just replace the top soil or repot the whole thing (depends on whether it was fairly recently repotted or not).

Karen

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I use a very weak solution of Ironite once a week on all of my houseplants, except the Orchids, Geraniums, and Cactus. Think I should skip the Zebra for now? Would a peroxide/water bath help?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Skip the fertilizers, ironite and HP for now. No sense stressing an obviously stressed plant more.
My Calathea showes the same damage if the humidity is too low as do some of my others plants. Not always from salt/mineral build up. Up the humidity and stop moving it around, LOL, and it should be fine!! They like a bit warmer temps, evenly moist but not soggy soil and bright indirect light.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree with Caron. I use ironite as well as include a liquid fertilizer at 1/2 strength every third watering. Given how dry most heating systems can make the air, I bet low humidity is the culprit. I water mine about once a week. If I forget, she'll start dropping leaves when it gets too dry. Try misting it during the day. Spider mites love Calatheas so keep an eye for them as well.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys! I will skip the "stuff" and try some sunshine and TLC. (Ok, just one more move...)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.