Houseplant ID#4

Dataw Island, SC(Zone 8b)

This is the last one. Anyone familiar with it?

Thumbnail by mrsmoose
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Galaxy aralia, I think.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

How about "False Aralia"???

It will shed and shed leaves from the bottom, but when it stops, it will have all these beautiful, long stems topped by the fern-like fronds! Very Oriental looking!

As all Aralias, do not over-water! Keep it clean and mist often! Keep an eye out for Mealybugs! They LOVE this plant!

Best of luck! Gitagal

Thanks for the ID and your advice!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, this one is a beauty. I love the foliage.
The name "Galaxy" is used by Hermann Engelmann Greenhouses, i.e. Exotic Angel brand,
I guess to make it sound more exotic than "false" aralia. LOL
Jackie

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Agree, it's the 'False Aralia', Dizygotheca.

I love this plant, but it's one that I simply can't keep. Water too much it sheds leaves, let it dry just a bit too much..... it sheds leaves......It's *very* particular about it's watering, and can't withstand low light levels.

Actually, the one that EA has dubbed 'Galaxy Aralia' has a bit wider but shorter leaves and a yellow to white variegated leaf edge. Beautiful plant, but another one I can't keep!

If anyone knows the true secret to successfully growing this Dizygothecas, let me in on itm (lol!)!

Mine is doing great! It's in medium light about 10 feet from an East facing glass door. I water it the same day every week with lukewarm water. When I first got it, it lost many of it's lower leaves and I was discouraged, but that stopped after a month or so and it's taken off.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Nan for the info!!
Mrsmoose....she sure looks happy and healthy now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.