ID help #2

Dataw Island, SC(Zone 8b)

and this would be...?

Thumbnail by mrsmoose
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

white vein or brocade fittonia.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

MrsMoose,
I forgot tto add the most important thing...
all of these look lovely! Are they new acquisitions?
Jackie

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I have one of these, too, and it doesn't like something I'm doing. Its leaves tend to turn yellow, dry up, and fall off. Does it need a more humid environment?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hiya, Fittonias do like extra humidity if possible. Can you place it in a saucer with some wet gravel or little stones? (Or group a few plants together, that seems to help with humidity too.)
They like bright, but indirect light...never direct sun. They don't like the temp to fluctuate too much, & they like it kind of warm. Also, try watering it with lukewarm water, and feed a little bit every other week with light fertilizer if you can. They like to stay on schedule with the watering, but too much can cause root rot, the soil should remain consistently damp.
They are very pretty. I hope that helps some.
Jackie

Dataw Island, SC(Zone 8b)

I've had it for about a year and it has quadrupled in size. It does get a lot of humidity (Florida) and I do water it on a very regular schedule. Once a week -with lukewarm water. It's bone dry by the time it get watered.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I know it by another common name--"Nerve Plant". Probably due to the itricate pattern of veins that resemble a nerve "reta" ( you crossword puzzle people should know this word!).

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Jackie, thanks for the info. My plant has grown a lot, but it's certianly not thriving. Maybe I'll try moving it (it does get a little direct sun now) and putting it on a pebble tray. I really like it, so now maybe I'll be able to take better care of it! --Dana

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a Fittonia and it does great. But I have to keep it misted or it will start to shrivel up and die. They are very picky plants. But they are cool. I have a 2 white veined ones and one pink veined one. The white one grew so much I had to make a new pot. But after that it slowed down. The pink one is slow too. But they are great plants.

JesseK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.