The ruby throated hummingbirds are on the move!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I got lucky this year. Usually there are dots north and all around me before they finally arrive at my feeder. We should report our first sighting even if it doesn't have a chance of making it on the map.

John

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay...(sigh of reflief) I've done my duty and it won't be my fault if early hummers can't find food :) It's all stocked up and now I'm waiting. I was "gutsy" and put the thing right on the kitchen window like my DH's grandma has done for years. Figure, why put out a feeder if I can't see the hummers at it? Kitchen window was the most frequented spot for me -- LOL :) Yes, way2, I'm going to report my sighting regardless of how many others are in my local :) Thanks for showing us the link, this is fun!

Hugs

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes it is! The kitchen window is ONE of my favorite spots. As your interest grows you will think of others.

John

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Honey, I've got a 4 yo old, a 2 and 1/2 yo, and a 5 month old and we're not stopping there! :) LOL :) One hummer feeder until my oldest is old enough to help clean/fill em! :) LOL -- yeah, I know, this is the part where ya'll take bets as to how long it will be before I'm up to 3 feeders :) LOL -- funny how ya'll can "know" me w/o ever meeting me, huh???

I'm really trying hard to not bite off more than I can chew, ya know??? Hobby addicts need accountability, too -- LOL!!!!

Hugs ;)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

One must wisely choose their addictions. :-)

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I had put my feeders out earlier this month, but brought them in becuase of a cold snap. After reading this thread, I feel I had better put them back. lol

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

They are making steady progress. Trouble is, I haven't seen since the one I reported on the 28th.
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm still waiting.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I am rewaiting.

lol

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Feeders back in place, and waiting.....

Mine two.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I just saw the one on March 27th.It hasn't returned.I don't know if it was a male or female because I wasn't wearing my glasses.I was washing the dishes( I don't use the dish washer because I enjoy looking out the window and seeing all the birds at the feeders.We have birds all year long.)and the hummer was at the feeder for quite a long time.

Leesville, SC(Zone 8a)

Just saw our first male hummer this morning. He's right on schedule. I can usually count on them to arrive the last week of March. Going to post on the map now.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think it is so neat how they repeatedly arrive on schedule! They are small creatures with tremendous abilities and much to be admired.

Sebring, FL

Hummers in central florida
I live in Sebring Central Florida this is my first winter here and I have been feeding hummers all winter long . First females and since about a month males to. They drink the nectar like crazy.
This is a first for me I am totaly ignorant when it concerns hummers. Are they suppose to stay here or go up north?
I am also feeding the most beautiful bird I have ever seen in the wild is name is" Painted bunting" in my book it says that it is the must colored bird in america just beautiful.
Gisele

Gisele, what a lucky lady you are to have those beautiful painted buntings and hummers all winter long. I don't know if they'll fly north or not, but if they do, others will come to replace them.
Sidney

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Gisele! I'm so jealous! I got a book from the library recently and inside was a picture of a Painted Bunting in a bird bath. It was beautiful!! I had never seen one and just couldn't believe it. It looked like a Kindergardener had thrown their primary color finger paints all over it. Take pictures if you can!!

Yes please do take pictures.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Geez John .. How have I missed this thread !!! ..

Jes yesterday .. had about a 51% reason to believe, that a hummer zoomed by the front porch .. but, can't (and won't) stake my life and fortune on it! For it may very well have been one of them big ol wood boring bees, for all I know .. Dadnabbit, only the corner of my eye 'caught' the sighting .. and it was gone far too quickly, to suit me. Jes know it wasn't any of the wasps that are already out and about and startin' to build their nests! ...

So .. naturally, I'll not make any type of report - till I know with a hunnerd percent certainty!

But .. you can sure bet yer flip floppers - that a kettle of water is gonna get put on the stove, first thing in the mornin' .. in anxious anticipation for the lil flyin' jewels - jes fer safety, ya know! ... I see that they've been reported, at ... what looks like ... could be Fort Smith, Arkansas .. or there abouts! ... Weeee doogies!!

Thanks so much, John .. for the link, to enable us to 'watch' for their return ...

- Magpye

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 1:38 AM

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Gisele
You certainly are lucky to have the painted buntings all winter long.I see them at my feeders in the spring but it is a special treat that I only get to see once in a while.
Our local bird expert said that there were many sighting of the male hummers on March 24-26,so that my sighting was right on time too.He said that the females should be arriving in about a week.Then the real fun will begin.Humming bird wars are about to start!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Dangit! Frogot to click send. Way too dumb again!

LOL, on what?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

About the painted bunting. Seen only pictures. Envy. Blah, blah, blah!

Gotcha.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting that link!

Looks like I should be expecting my first ones between 4/2 & 4/12...I'm cooking some nectar up now and will have it out tomorrow!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Finally saw my first male ruby throat yesterday. He is checking out his territory. He buzzed me today while I was outside, probably reminding me to put new syrup in the feeders.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Still no hummers for me. :(

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Yay! .. for you .. beclu727 !! ..

Officially spotted my first hummer today also! I'd posted a bit earlier of possibly seeing one last week or so ago .. but wasn't a hunnerd percent sure then! (hee) I'd just managed to fill and put my hummer feeders out, late yesterday evenin' ..

But .. dontcha know .. looney here - had just put my camera back inside the house .. after shooting tons of lil blue flutterbyes among half a dozen other sorts, flittin' here and about! .. The Ruby Throat came around to the feeder twice that I saw - but no pic documentation, dagnabbit!

- Magpye

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Your word is documentation enough, Mags!

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Still waiting. I looked at last years thread I started the when I saw my first hummer. It was the beginning of July. Surely I won't have to wait that long. Last year was the first time I put up a feeder, and I didn't do that until May. I just assumed that was why my first arrival was so late. I figured that since they found my feeder last year, and I put it out earlier this year, that I'd see them by now, but I'm starting get worried that I'll have to wait until July again. *sniff*

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

jdee, I have not seen a hummer since the one I reported on 3/25!!! :-(

John

Magpye, I'm gonna be looking for those Blue Fltrby picture. That's the berries, puttin your camera away like that. I keep mine in my bibb and by the time you get that, a cell phone and 3 seed packets in there I look pretty chesty. Anyhow that picture is right arround the corner.

jdee, I've done everything I can think of. Others here started seeing them on 3/16. . . . .four years ago . . .and I have yet to get a boarder. They are territorial and I believe return to the same place every year. If they ever show up here I'll spoil them rotten.
Sidney

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

"If you build it they will come!" Or so they tell me. Don't give up. Feeders and the right plants will bring them in eventually!!

Thanks for the encouragement John.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Just hang in there b/c once they take up residence in your yard the same guys will come back year after year. Hopefully they will nest and their future generations will think your place is their summer home!

Yes, I've had a nest hatch 10' out the back door in El Paso, 30yrs ago.
I'm looking for a hummer magnet tree for the area in front to the keft of my front door.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a wild Mimosa that really brings them in. Haven't seen a nest though.

That's what we had! But I just sawed down a 30 footer in back for more sunlight and they never came in the 9 years I had let it grow.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Uh-oh. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.