The ruby throated hummingbirds are on the move!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

They are arriving on the gulf coast! Check this out:
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

John - Thanks for the update. I put my feeder out last week even though I don't expect them until April. Don't want them to come by and not find nectar.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mine won't get here until around March 22. I will put mine out this week.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the update. I was planning to put mine out tomorrow, only because I bought a new feeder. Now I know that at least I won't be the only one in NE Texas with a feeder out.

Longboat Key, FL

imway2dumb:

youreway2smart. Mine don't get up to New Jersey until May.

Brad

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

What about Longboat Key?

John

Longboat Key, FL

imway2dumb:

I'm not so dumb that I stay here in the summer.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

They finally made it to the Texas coast! I'm ready for you you little buggars!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

had my feeders out for a week and nothing here either

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Will get my feeders out soon- Thanks IW2D!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Note the report from North Louisiana! They seem to be on schedule. Be sure and report your first sighting!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Mine usually show about the 5th to 10th of April here in West KY...I'll get my feeders up shortly though...sometimes I get an early bird. I think since I'm so close to the MS River, they use it as a landmark and follow it north....that's why mine show a touch earlier than some folks more southern.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm later than I wanted to be, but going right now to get mine out before I forget again!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Cool!!!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Lucky southerners!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Linda, they will make it up your way beginning next month according to the link above.

John

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The little buggars are fanning out!

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

I've been watching this for days but hadn't seen this thread. I LOVE this site and have turned eveyone I know on to it. We in Wisconsin will be very well prepared to welcome them home. I'm just glad im2dumb thought to put this site up for others to watch.....And Record Your Sightings.....Thank YOU!!!

You can go back to previous years on this map and see when "on average" they will arrive in your garden.

P.S. Not only is red food coloring not nessecary, but it is actually bad for them. If you don't believe me read much more at this site.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I got my first male wednesday and think I have 3 as of today. Have out 7 small feeders spread out all over the yard giving them each enough room to establish territory out of site of each other and they still want to fight.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That's so fun, Donna!! Did you report it on www.hummingbird.net??? The form is super easy to use and they do not give out your email. I hope to report one!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Whoopie, Donna!! Be sure and report it, ok?

John

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

it is done

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I get to report my first ruby throated hummingbird sighting today!!! Ain't that cool?

John

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

WOOHOO for you!!! I saw that someone in the town next to me saw one earlier this week. I have my feeder out but haven't seen any yet. I will keep watching.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats my dot (3/25) on the Red River. Yahooooooo!

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I can say I know ole 3/25 right there!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Want a autograph?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Maybe, let me think on it.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Got my first visitor today! Boy, he's early, I usually don't see them till my dogwoods and wild azaleas bloom! He came as usual to the doorway to announce himself :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats great. Be sure and report it at the link above.

John

edited to say: Note that there was a sighting reported in Virginia!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2005 4:15 PM

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I did, I did, I did John, thanks to your link--I kept going places I didn't want to visit with the first link given :)

Edited to say the 2nd link, sorry John:) I din't know to report it till I got halfway down the thread--and no, I'm not blonde, just old ;)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2005 6:03 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

At the start of this thread?

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Saw my very first hummer of the year yesterday!!!! I was sooo thrilled to see it. I was on my porch and there it came zooming up to me- scared the crud outta me! Don't think I have ever saw one this early in the year.
Unfortunately, no nectar in the feeder yet. Should I go ahead and fill it up or wait til past frost date?

I think last year I started feeding in mid April.

White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

berrygirl,
Your lucky to see birds this early, and if it where me I would glady fill em up.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It is time to get your feeders out, berrygirl. ;-) Also, report your sighting at the link above, ok? It would be great to have DG'ers contributing to this guy's project!

John

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks yall!! I am gonna fill er up tomorrow!
Hope the hummers come back. Hope the one I saw didn't go and and tell all his buddies: "no food there this year- lets split"!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

AAHHH! They're coming and I'm not ready!!! LOL :)

I checked the hummer map tonight and couldn't believe it! Virginia, already??!! Oh, dear, I must get my feeder out before church tomorrow morning. And I was gonna put fake red flowers in a whiskey barrel, too! Time's awastin' and I'd better get a move on :) I want to post an "early" sighting on that website. Wonder where the first sighting in Ohio will be? Tabasco's house? My house? Can't wait!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I saw my first one at the feeder yesterday.He was interested in some yellow Forsythia since there are no red flowers blooming yet.I don't know if he stopped by the saucer magnolia that is in bloom.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

The map shows them all around me. Were are my hummers. I have 2 feeders up, but maybe I'd better put the other 2 out also. Don't want them to go somewhere else. Berrygirl, you are so lucky (and so close to me.) Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.