Tomato Contest -Growing Pictures and Chat

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I think this is common "better boy"

Thumbnail by budgielover
Covington, LA(Zone 9b)

Hey i use that container to store my grill stuff in...I've been thinking how good it would look with drain holes and a tomatoe in it.lol Then i just went and got the 5 gal buckets for $3 to grow in... yours are looking good though. Man real pots cost too much

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 12:20 PM

These are 18 gal. I drilled several large holes in the bottom for drainage. They work great for me at a cost less than $3 each. I usually plant marigolds in the same tub to try to deter pests but I don't have too much problem with nematodes when they are grown in the tubs. I do have one of those upside down hanging tomato planters but I'm not impresses. I may try some cherry tomatoes next and see if they do any better.
Jan...

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

budgielover -- for a person that doesn't eat tomatos you have some very healthy plants. If I may suggest to add a little more potting soil in your boxes as you do have room and by doing this, about 2 in. from the top, you will have a fantastic root system with magnificent fruit. I know as I used to raise mine in pots. Keep up the great work and a hearty welcome to the forum. Great pictures -- keep em comin !

Thanks T. I'll do it today. I did plant the stem almost to the bottom when I transplanted it.
I just love to grow them and watch them produce but I get alot of enjoyment watching everyone else eat them too.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

migrater tomatoes...headed for NY this week

Thumbnail by kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

sideview of 32 plants

Thumbnail by kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

leftovers.

all are boring hybrids of Big Beef and Supersteak for eating and canning. these are sitting in a wheelbarrow which I put a couple inches of water in to hold them while we were away for a week.

Thumbnail by kikisdad

You guys sure have some beauts between the both of you but a southern born tomato in Yankee land ??????

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well mine can't compare with everyone's but I'm proud as a new Momma anyways *G* The one with red mulch is a Better Bush I bought and planted last week, the others are ugly ripe and black pear that I started from seeds 3 weeks ago. I might not get a tomato one from the seeds but It's been fun and I've learned what NOT to do for next year. *WG*

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of one of the ugly ripes...small little fella's I hope they make it.

Thumbnail by araness

Between the two threads I don't know which is the proper one to post ? Since Cricket started the contest I think we should stay with hers for less confusion. I'll change my post to here.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 3:55 PM

Here's my Big Un ! So heavy I'm having difficulty lifting it so a couple of friends are coming over to help. This is a Burpee Delicious one of the smaller ones.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

WOW! Now I really have tomato envy! *LOL* And look at that big ol grin on his face he knows he's got a handsome tomato!

You should have seen the one that got away ???

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ROFL....You must have started your plants...well very early to already have such pretty maters. *sniffle* I guess I'll just keep buying these nasty store bought ones for a few more months. Patience has never been one of my strong suits and it's driving me nuts to wait. Every morning I go outside to say Good Morning to my maters and see how much they have grown overnight...I can't wait till I finally see a little green tomato.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Think about us up north, we can't even transplant them out yet, darn snow attacked us out of nowhere! Enjoy every bite of that tomato, just for me! ~ Suzi

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'd go nuts up North...if something doesn't pop out some fruit or veggie soon I'll no bonkers. My DH laughs at me because I planted them and the next day wanted a tomato, beans, strawberries, raspberries or cucumber.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant, nice mater friend! I have my delicious mater plants in the ground finally. And then a lovely cold front came thru last night and it was 50 when I woke up this morning for church. Brrrr, I had to break out the sweater again. hehe. It only has gotten up to 70 today...Friday it was 90. What is up with that? I know you folks up north are saying terrible things about me about now! ;) I cannot stand cold weather so I feel bad for y'all up there with the snow and all.
Well I certainly hope to have some nice delicious ones soon. Tplant, what happend to your 3 pounder?
Michelle

That dang bird ate some and I ate the rest....

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Michelle, I remember calling my Dad telling him we were BBQing on deck, for New Yrs, and temps, etc. It's just payback. LOL ~ Suzi

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Tplant,

Ha! ....."one of the smaller ones." Are you holding out on us? ☺

Ya never ever know !

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay Tplant and Flip and all y'all...where ya been today? Tplant...we want to see more pictures! ;)
I went by what you and Flip said word for word today in re-planting my plants. I have 3 left over b/c I ran out of room so I'll be giving them to good homes tonight. Our peeps from bible study should be here soon and they will be happy to take them. It was a totally gorgeous day to do plantin' so it was all good.
michelle

I am taking more pictures. Don't have a digital yet so I use the ol camera and have it developed to disc. Hope to finish up tomorrow cause my season is starting to wind down. Temps starting to touch 85 deg. during day time. Not good for the flowers.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Michelle, I saw where you thinned out a little bit. I think that's a good move! I'm sure your friends from the bible study will be real happy to get some plants. Keep us posted and show US some pics of your garden! - Flip

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Flip
yes, I thinned them out a little. I know the 3 I had left over went to good homes. I sent my friends the Delicious tomato plant file from DG so they'd know what to do. I saw BigRed has his pics on there...I'll have to upload mine when I have some fruit. OH..and I'm getting all my girlfriends turned onto DG. hehe. I will take a picture in the next day or so. Today it is very windy so it wouldn't be that great of a photo. But y'all have to promise NOT to laugh at how small my garden is and how lame I probably planted them. ;)
Michelle

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Michelle,
I'm sure your garden looks great. It doesn't matter how small or large it is. It's the thoughts and heart behind it! Keep us posted. - Flip

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here it is at 40 days from seed.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have my first tomato on my Better Bush! Of course it's still the size if a grain of rice but....*G*

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

yall been busy chatting while i been busy controlling these 380 mater plants. my greenhouse is only 8 feet in the center---so I am having to lower the plants now---they were much prettier standing tall. I am ordering another greenhouse wed---but will be 3 feet taller than my last house. I am growing garden type maters in there. BIG Beef

My contest maters are about 6 inches tall now. I will transplant them in another 2 weeks. they are in 6 inch pots. Big Zac and the Burpee Delicious. Sooooooo---Guess I wont have BIG maters for another 10 weeks. FLUBBER!!!!

cricket

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is the home garden, don't know if we will do the big garden on Barker Road this year.
Rows 5 ft. apart, plants 2 ft. apart in rows except cucumbers 18 in. apart.

1st row from the left with the stakes, home peppers (9)
2nd row Sophie’s Choice (2), and Omar’s Lebanese (6)
3rd row Supersteak (1) Zagola (7)
4th row Delicious (6)
5th row Supersteak (5)
6th row Granny Cantrell’s German Red (5)
7th row Marion (6)
8th row Box Car Willie (6)
9th row Cherokee Purple (5)
10th row Italian Roaster Pepper (5)
Poke Sallet behind the greenhouse, and Sweet Slice cucunbers on the wire panel. Down the back line is watermelon, honey dew, and cantaloupes.

George

Thumbnail by Geo1ThiChi
Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is what we have left.

George

Thumbnail by Geo1ThiChi
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, that is beautiful George! Very nice indeed. I still have not taken a picture of my little itty pitty garden yet, especially with such nice ones on this thread. I've convinced my DH to expand the garden so I can plant some other things like the carrots and radishes he wanted. The tomato plants took up the entire area I had tilled. So DH put some grass killer on another area so that I can till that and plant some carrots. I hope it isn't too late to plant them? Danvers Half Long I think is what type of seed I have. Anyway, thanks for sharing George. Michelle

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol...now I feel like I need more plants, I only have 13 tomato plants left.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah right Saint, tell me about it. I HAD 16 but since I didn't have enough room I gave away 5. So now I'm down to 11. But nothing like some of these guys/gals have! I just want some yummy maters to eat this summer! My next door neighbor, Larry, told me that the crows and ravens will eat the fruit as soon as it is red, hence ruining the tomato. So my DH has got some screen and posts that he will cover them when they get to that point. As small as they are, that will be awhile. ;) Michelle

Yes ! Make certain you use bird netting ....

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant...haven't you gotten that film developed at Walmart yet? common...we need to see your pictures! :)

Been down with the flu and really feeling miserable ! Plus my camera is not working properly. It has the film in it and the camera won't shoot until I press the button three times ? Weird !

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my goodness Tplant! I am so sorry you are ill. I've had the flu once or twice and it sucks! I'll be praying for you to be as good as new asap. Hmmm...odd about your camera...darn thing. Does it need new batteries? who knows right? okay...well drink lots and lots of water and hang in there. Take care.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.