Parasite-infested gardenia

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I got my mom a gardenia for her birthday (a month ago), and she sent me this e-mail today:

"I think the gardenia is not faring so well--I have moved it to a new location to see if that helps. It has things on the tips of the leaves that look like mini spider webs and then something that looks like aphids. I tried to pick them off--hopefully it will perk up soon."

Does anyone know what may be causing it and how to remedy the situation? I've been lucky enough to have never had this problem, so I didn't know what to tell her. Thanks for any advice!

--DanaK

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

If she has other house plants she needs to get it out of the house or put it in a room where there are no other plants! Sounds like it may have more than one problem, spider mites and aphids or another bug. She may try the houseplant bug sprays, but they never worked for me. I would wash the plant carefully with gentle soapy water (specially the undersides of the leaves), rinse with clear water, then apply a systemic pesticide specifically used for spider mites. I use a sponge to wash the leaves. She can get the pesticide at her local nursery or garden center.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you! I'll let her know asap!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

She might also try blasting it with soapy water and then rinsing with shower water...Bayer Advanced Formula works wonders on the sucking insects like scale and aphids.

Blasting a Gardening in the shower fairly often is good to take care of the spider mites....I found. Then pour left over coffee or tea in the pot...they love the acid.

HTH

Carol

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, I need to bring this thread up again...

I saw my mom again today and the gardenia is worse. She bought some spray that is specifically for spider mites, but then when she got it home and read the fine print, she read NOT to use them on gardenias! We're both pretty sure it's just spider mites-- no aphids. So if she mixed some soapy water at home, is there a tried and true recipe/method? Should she use a spray bottle, or wipe each leaf? I'm hoping she can still save it. The leaves still look healthy, but the spider mites are beginning to take over...

Thanks, Dana

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I started to see some on mine and I just sprayed it good with h202, ivory dish soap and water. Then I started misting it every day about three times with just plan water. I read somewhere on DG that spider mites don't like the humidity, and also I have it sitting on an upside down saucer in another saucer with small rocks with water surrounding it. I keep mine in a east window, temp. at 65 during the day and 63 at night. Water it every week and feed it 1/2 the amount it calls for every two weeks. Mine is blooming now with 3 blooms and about 50 more getting ready to bloom. They thrive with the cooler temp. She may need to get it transplanted and use some blood meal with the soil.

Read the thread I have attached there is a picture of mine on it.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482328/

Edit to say I keep it on my nightstand and when I go to bed at night or happen to wake in the middle of the night I have a wonderful smell from the new flowers blooming.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2005 11:37 AM

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Another picture showing it in the saucer of small rock and water.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the info! I was at my Mom's house the other day. I should have just done it for her. She's quite busy, so it has gotten put on the back burner. Your solutions sound pretty easy, though, so hopefully she can get the problem taken care of. The link on flowering was helpful, too. She loves gardenia, but it's certainly for the flowers! Hers has buds, but I don't think it has actually bloomed. It will be good for her to know the trick.

I don't know if that is the trick or not but that is what is working for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.