Dear Deer

Olympia, WA

I think the deer are going right down the list of plants that are "suggested" as being deer resistant, and proving that you can't believe everything you read - today's hits included the buddleja, geraniums, vine maple, purple cone flower, monarda, and day lilies. Now, they didn't pig out on them - but they did let me know they were helping w/ the pruning and/or pinching back!

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

wannadanc, don't laugh..but try this. Sprinkle your 'deerly loved plants' with baby powder, just a little here and there will do. It worked for me when they invaded my veggie garden. They stay out of my flower gardens for some reason..guess nothing is tasty there for them.

Jean

Olympia, WA

You know what? I AM willing to give that a try - knowing, of course, that in this besodden environment, it bears frequent repeats! However, I have no "other" use for a container that is already on board. I was thinking also, of putting some dried lavender in bags out there. There is some research being done using lavender oil spray - with some degree of success. I don't have the oil spray, and probably would not follow through on that - but if it is the aroma - I reason that a knee high sock filled with crushed dried flowers just MIGHT work - and I just happen to have a supply of dried lavendar, as well. If nothing else, I will get some cupboards cleaned out! Thank you for the suggestion - and I will run a test. model this next week - baby powder in one section - and lavender in another. Who knows - maybe WE have come up with a good plan! If they both seem to work, then a blended effort might be worth testing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.