I got a pink princess philodendron!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I finally got one!!!!! I found a guy in Miami who collects variegated plants. He sold me a pink princess philodendron for 35$ (not a tissue culture). Look at this thing, it is huge!!!! I am so thrilled. And he is going to root me some monstera and some other cool variegated plants.You can see some of his cool plants at

http://www.raretropicalplants.com/new_rtp_site/home_pagex.html

Thumbnail by rylaff
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulation Lisa on getting this beauty. Thanks for the website also. Drooling here. LOL
Patti

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm impressed !!!!!!

Proud for you,

Judy

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous plant. I might just have to check out that website for my self.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, that's a lovely one!!

I've bought a few plants from Steve myself....always satisfactory.

I've been hoping to find one at the nearby HD one of these days, as people in NJ have said they've found them there.

Did you have it shipped or did you pick it up?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice, nice, Rylaff! I just got one off EBAY for $20. What does your "tissue culture" mean? Mine was a very rooted stalk cutting with alot of new growth. I'm checking out this site too!!

=) MKJ

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Tissue culture is like cloning plants. Little pieces of the plant are grown in a hormone rich medium. Should be identical to the parent plant. However, there are pros and cons to such. Evolution has predicted how certain plants will look when propagated naturally. However, how a plant might respond to a tissue culture long term or even a slight shift in the medium ingrediants might change how a plant looks or grows over time. I dont have a problem buying a tissue culture plant from Lowes or Walmart for mass planting, etc. However, If I am going to spend a lot of money on one plant, I want to know exactly what it will look like, how it will grow, etc. I certainly dont want to start a debate on natural versus manmade plants. I have bought many many plants that know doubt came from tissue culture. However, just this one time it was important to me to get a naturally grown plant for my money.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Verrrrrry interesting. Well, in getting Pink Princess f-i-n-a-l-l-y, I probably wouldn't care either way! =)

MKJ

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am just thrilled to get one. I have certainly been looking for a long time.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I just found out he sells the variegated augustine grass I was looking for. I had also asked him about the painted lady. What's the difference between the pink princess and the painted lady??
:) Donna

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Hiya, Donna--don't I just run into you everywhere??! lol

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yep.....lol.
:) Donna

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I could be wrong but I think the leaf shape and size is different. I am going to get some other variegated stuff frrom him. His reputation is very good. And I am thrilled with my pink princess.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Steve also sells on eBay under Miamimaxx or something like that.

The Painted Lady is very different. It has narrow Spade leaves which are molted green with butter yellow variegation. The exceptional characteristic of this philodendron is that its stems are neon pink. Really unusual. You'll love growing it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.