Lily Lovers... continued

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

The other thread was getting sooooo longgggg it took forever for it to load on my dial-up!

I found some more of my pictures and some even had names with them! Had them stuck in a folder I was going to burn to disc.

Con Amore' oriental: the blossoms do fade as they age, but what a sight to behold!

Thumbnail by llilyfan

I even found the names of the 2 unknown lilies I had posted. They were 'First Class' the orange (really a bite your butt orange!) and Royal Respect the white.

Ready for a breath of pure beauty?

Stephanie - oriental

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pure beauty.....

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Those are so pretty!! I've already ordered several for this year, don't know which addiction is worse, these or the DLs : )

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Stephanie is definitely a beauty!

Thanks Moby I always forget the hyperlink.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No problem ~ I always like to know where the party went!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have no words.
Kaleem

On a different note....

'Moonstruck' an asiatic

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Any body got a cup of land I could borrow to plant
about fifty more lilies in ? Wonder if I could make a over pass for cars so I can plant under them ?

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's 'Mona Lisa' a short Oriential that is a great container lily as well as a front of the border show off.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

and we can't get enough of 'Red Velvet', one of our favorite Asiatiac lilies. Some people tell me that their 'Red Velvet' is outfacing. Alas, ours are all downfacing.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's a corner of one of the flower beds in the back yard. The trumpet lilies are all in the "Iowa" series, hybridized by Dorothy Schaefer, named and registered by Jayne Venard. 'Iowa Snowflakes' is in the foreground, 'Iowa Gold' and 'Iowa Sunset' are to the left, and 'Iowa Orange Glo' are almost open in the high left corner of the picture.
We are extremely fortunate to have been introduced to the wonderful world of Lilies by these very special ladies, who also happen to be our neighbors and very active leaders in our regional Lily Society.

Thumbnail by Iowaron

Red Velvet is stunning !

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pics Iowaron! I love those "Iowa" series lilies!

When you are talking about container lilies, can they be kept outside in their containers during the winter or do they have to be brought into a warmer area? The reason I ask is that I had thought about potting some short ones, but don't have anywhere to store or protect containers during the winter.

Thanks,
Vicki

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Red Velvet is one of my faves. A very historic lily. You know, if you look more closely at your picture, I do think it looks down facing, except for one floret. Florets are larger than mine and slightly less black. Is your colour right on?

Will go see if I can find a picture of mine. Not sure if I have one.

inanda

This message was edited Feb 24, 2005 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by inanda

just bury the whole pot and mulch ?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Yes, without the question mark. Tazzy. Make sure that the rim of the pot is underground. When I'm doing this, I put grass clippings on top of the pot before burying. So when I hit the grass after digging up, I know how far down to clean off the pot. Does this make sense?

How far down does your soil freeze, Sadiemaewebb?

Inanda

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure how far down it freezes (big help huh)! I probably won't do any that way if they have to be buried, I don't really have any spare garden space to bury pots & it'd take forever to dig pot sized holes in the yard, the ground is so hard and compacted : ( I'm glad to know how to do it though, just in case. Thanks!!!

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi inanda, Your 'Red Velvet' lilies are beautiful. I see the color difference and offer time of day, back lighting, or perhaps the angle from which the picture was taken could make some small difference in flower color, but as memory serves, this is pretty much what our 'Red Velvet' looked like last June. Yours are much darker.

sadiemaewebb, I usually wait until the lilies go dormant in the containers in the fall, then I dig up the bulbs and plant them in the ground for the winter. I have, on rare occasion, cleaned and stored a few of the bulbs in the refrigerator crisper over winter and repotted them in the spring, with very limited success. Burying the entire pot as outlined by inanda above works very well also, unless you're like me and plant in huge containers.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, the size of the container was what I was worried about. I may try a smaller pot and the "bury it method" and a large pot with your "dig 'em up and plant in the ground method", can't ever learn if you don't experiment some I suppose : )

I'm storing some lilies in the crisper right now. I got them late December and it was and still is way to wet to be digging in my clay. I check them ever week and they look the same as when they came, I hope they survive ok until it dries up a bit.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Theu should be fine. I have some in my fridge that I dug in Oct. forthe Cdn RU.
Inanda

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, that's a relief! I'd hate to lose them : )

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here are some pics of the only lilies I had last year, I've had them for several years, before I knew to record the names : ) They were a mixed bag from somewhere, probably Walmart or Lowes.
This one is kind of dark...

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

This one has multiplied very well...

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

This is my favorite one, and of course, it hasn't multiplied at all : (

Thumbnail by sadie_mae

always the one you like the best grows the slowest or for me looks me in eye and croaks ? LOL

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL, Yep, it works that way here too!!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Do any of the lilies bloom the first year from seed, or do you have to wait it out

A couple years .? Is what i have been told

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

thanks tazzy

I just planted Red Velvet last fall so now I am really excited to see it bloom. Who will it look like????????inanda's or iowaron's

In the meantime here is another one I was able to find:

Dress Rehearsal an LA

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sue & Iowa Ron--love the lilies. I have a shovel and I know where you live ..
mwwahhhahahhha.....

I'm one up on you Wanda, I've been to your house!!!!!!!!!!

Here is one more...'Selina' an asiatic, the blossoms fade and look like a blend as they age, they are quite interesting in person.

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lilyfan, i have a couple that do that and i really enjoy them. this l.a. hybrid 'la reine' is one of them, but i need more for a really good bouquet show like yours. i love the colors of this one.

Thumbnail by debi_z
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oriental summer's end.........growing in my woodlands garden. i can see them while i sit on my screened porch. they were in bloom august 2nd, last year.
debi & franklin

Thumbnail by debi_z
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Lovely pics!!! I can't wait for spring.

Does anyone grow l. martagon? I was wondering how long they take to start blooming? The descriptions say they may "sulk" for a season! I ordered a few other species lilies recently as well and just can't wait. Do spring planted lilies generally bloom the first year? Thanks for helping this Lilie newbie and feeding my addiction with all the beautiful pics : )

llilyfan - I'm hoping I'll get to see blooms this summer from all the ones you sent to me, since they were fall planted!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I believe Inanda, aka Ginny, grows some martagons. She posted up a ways if you'd like to email her. She may see this...... you hoo....

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I absolutely love all the pictures, makes me hungry for them LOL
I really love that red velvet one it's a beauty

kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.