Building the Rion greenhouse (my way) LOL

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

The one at Wormsway is a lot cheaper. Chele do you use one? Also I read somewhere people are using bubble wrap installation to help with the heating cost. Have you checked into it. I noticed you mentioned that you didn't think the 4mm was going to be enough to keep it warm on real cold nights.

Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If I end up using that greenhouse to overwinter plants this year, I WILL be buying those bubble sheets. When you get your greenhouse together, you will see small gaps where the walls meet the bottom of the roof. There are also gaps around the door. The greenhouse does stay 20 degrees warmer than outside with no additional help. I was able to start seeds out there in March. The tomatoes I sowed out in the greenhouse quickly caught up to ones started inside.

I wonder could a person chaulk the gaps? Where do you get the bubble sheets? I am starting to look for them.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We use bubble wrap in shipping at work.
I comes in 250' X 4' rolls.
I think the price is around 75 dollars a roll.
Any packaging supply house will have it.
Ric

Is this the kind that has foil on the back?

Just discovered I won't be needing the shade cloth. It is included with the Kit.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2005 11:37 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No just plain 1/2" bubble wrap.

If you use it, the bubble side goes the to glass.
I effect you're making an air gap between the plastic back and the glass.

I just use 6mm plastic film. It's MUCH cheaper.
I get a 100' x 20' roll at Lowes for around 40 bucks.

Ric

Terry I checked into Sears with there Rion, they want $1900 so when you get the Price Match you still have to pay Shipping and for me that was a little over $200. We are still way ahead by getting the one from Sam's.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=&keyword=rion+greenhouse&displayTarget=searchresults&gobutton.x=9&gobutton.y=19

This message was edited Sep 18, 2005 11:30 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I shopped them before I bought and Sam's was the best deal because shipping was free. I ended up getting mine right from the distributor because I nagged and whined. LOL I saved a lot on the actual greenhouse but then had to pay for shipping. I came out ahead but not quite as much as you would think!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, the one from Sam's includes shade cloth and base, plus three vents (two roof, one louvered end vent), but not the automatic openers.

Try eBay for openers - that's where I've been digging for odds 'n ends since I put my order in on Saturday.

As for bubble wrap, Ric's right - look in your yellow pages and ask your UPS and/or FedEx people if they can recommend a source for bulk packaging supplies (not Kinko's, Mailboxes, etc. or U-Haul - I found they want to sell small rolls for a BIG price.)

I found a place near the Nashville Int'l airport that sells bubble wrap in bulk for a lower price than I ever found on eBay. (I had contemplated using it in my old PVC/poly film GH, but never got around to buying it.) You might find a similar resource in Wichita - it's definitely worth making a few phone calls before you plunge in and order. (And if you don't find any locally, then definitely try eBay once you get an idea of what you'd pay to get it elsewhere.

So hurry up and get yours ordered and we can construct them in parallel universes ;o)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You can buy the bubble wrap sheets at http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_search If it does not go to the bubble sheets, just type bubble in the search box. I can't say it is a great price though. Henry10 posted a much better price.

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

I've been using free recycled sheets of bubblewrap to cover temporary coldframes on my raised beds. I've gotten them at a dealer who gets new canoes and kayaks wrapped in it. The sheets are very strong and are about 6 feet wide and 18 to 20 feet long. There were a few tears to patch. These sheets have smaller bubbles than the ones available at Charlies.

I don't know how much it affects light transmission or how long it will last but the price is right.

Wayne

I ordered my greenhouse Sun. I went ahead and ordered the automatic openers from Sam's. I checked on EBay first and I they were cheaper then the ones I found on EBay by the time you add shipping. Shipping was included in the price at Sam's.

The way I see, it should arrive about the 2nd week of Oct. I would take it earlier that would be alright. My husband will be going to Louisanna the first of Oct. for a fishing tournament. So won't be able to start putting it up until he returns. He is all excited about it as I think I am. He has been running it over and over in his head how he wants to do it. It took me a while to convince him to let me get one, his main concern has been about the heating expense, also since all that has taken a jump this year. But I told him we would see how it goes.

Yes Terry once we start putting it together we will be sharing a lot of interesting stories, and pictures.

Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is easy enough for a *girl* to put together! LOL I did mine myself. Make sure you have somewhere flat to put the roof together. You will need help setting the roof on-not heavy, just awkward. You build the base and sides, drop in the polycarb sheets then build the roof and set it on and attach it. The whole thing goes together with neat little T pins that snap in. I recommend you have a pair of garden gloves and a rubber mallet. :) Some of the plastic is sharp and the moldings are a bear to get in sometimes. One more piece of advice-do take the time to sort the pieces first. It will make it go together in a hurry. Have fun!

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

I love this thread....makes me want to build one. Think I might know of a space to put it in...right now I use the tool shed DH built...it windows! Imagine that...LOL Anyhoo...you are an inspiration for us all Michele!

Do you have any recent pictures?

Thanks,
Lisa

My husband wants to put it on a foundation, like you did then dig some holes and fill with cement and run stalks thought, to make sure the wind won't blow it away. We do get some hellest winds in this area. Then screw the base of the GH to the secured foundation. He plans on digging bell shaped holes for the cement and stakes. I told him he could do that. Then when my BIL discovered I was getting a GH he said he would be down to watch us put it together, but knowing him he won't watch he will jump right in, cause sometimes he doesn't think his little brother can manage without him. So needless to say once the ball gets rolling it shouldn't take to long to get it up and running. Will need to get electric ran to it, and then water.

OMG I am so excited.

Linda

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

LOL Linda...I'm excited for you! Are you going to take pics of progress? Told DH just about an hour ago...in a way where he had to inquire what I was talking about...so I told him of the GH. He's considering it....(considering...I have in bought in my head) LOL

Good luck!
Lisa

If he is considering it then you have it made. I kept telling my husband with 28 small, 2 trees and one bush Hibiscus, rice paper plant, and a variagated EE, 3 hanging planters, I just didn't know where in the world I was going to store all them in the house. I really hated to see them all die, and have to buy new ones next spring. Then one morning he was at his brothers house talking and when he came home he had books with greenhouses in them for me to look at. He didn't know it but I just about had all the books, maybe there were one or two I didn't have, then after we looked at them, he said pick one out and order it if you like. Then it took me a week and a half to decide which one I wanted, and if I really wanted to go the expense. After I got the OK then I was the one with worrys, but as it goes, I didn't worry long, I ordered it.

Yes I will take pictures and be sharing with everyone, cause I know when I would see everyone else GH and read about what they did, it was kinda like having one of my own being installed.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh you are sounding like little monsters in the making! ROTFLOL!!

Did you guys get the green or the white? I was advised to get the white because of the summer temps but I think the green one is prettiest!

Mine is screwed to railroad ties with three inch galvanized screws. I stacked the ties to get a 9' height. I used cinder block for steps inside and out. I am about to take mine apart and move it to my new place. I am considering building cinder block walls to keep the height.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

On the website it suggested the white because my area can reach temperatures higher than 90 degrees. Since I don't know that much about GH's I'm going with the suggestions they offer...and the experiences of the DG'ers (like you Michele) LOL

Wow...you are crazy!! you're moving it LOL guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do especially if you found a better spot for it.

I was thinking of using interlocking stepping stones...not sure that's what they're called. Thought that with the sand inbetween...might make for better drainage.

Good luck Michele! I have no idea where you find the time or energy...but I'm cheerin' for ya!! You go girl!! LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I found a much better place for it! I just bought a small farm on 7 acres!! :) Energy my foot! It is sheer pent up frustrations, hostility and the need to stay sane! LOL

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

lmao!! woo hoo!! 7 acres! I can fully understand where you get your energy now...LOL! I would love to have about 3 - 5 acres...that would be nice. California....especially in this and surrounding area's...land is hard to come by that is affordable. My ideal property would be small house (less housework more time for plants) and lots of land...LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You forget, with six kids, I have to have maximum buttage in every aspect of my life. LOL

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
This is easy enough for a *girl* to put together! LOL I did mine myself.

Uh huh, yeah right....easy for YOU to say, you modern-day Ellie May Clampett. Actually, you make HER like like a quivering, swooning sissy girl who's afraid she might chip a nail.

Chuckle.

Lisa, she'll take down her GH (singlehandedly probably), and reconstruct it at the new house between the hours of 2 and 4 am, before tackling a complete kitchen remodeling at daybreak. And who knows? She might even give birth to yet another mini-chele in the two hours of downtime in between.

I get plumb tuckered out just reading of her escapades with Bobcat tractors and other heavy-duty equipment, especially when she casually interjects another birth announcement ;o)

(((((Badseed))))))))) who knows we we love her dearly, even though she makes us look like sluggish slobs in comparison....

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Ok, what is buttage? And Badseed, didn't you already move a pond once? You gonna do it again?

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

lmao@clampett comment! You guys seriously make my day....makes me that more appreciative of finding DG! Gotta love this place LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG!! ROTF!! and *blush*

Come on! Don't be a bunch of skirts! :) Really, there are only about 15-20 different parts and the instructions have pictures. :) The roof is the hardest part because of all the angles. I didn't get th base, but the bottom of the greenhouse is just straight pieces and T's and they are easy to figure out because they are all flat on one side. Then just drop in the polycarb! Poof! Walls are done.

Sylvi, I get grief for driving a Suburban but when you are a family of 8, your choices are SUV or van and I don't like the vans handle and minivans are too short of leg space when you your 12 year old is 5'1" and the doc suspects all your kids will be a minimum of 5'8". LOL I refer to room for butts (seats, beds, swings, whatver) as buttage. I have my issues. :)

Oh, I did move my pond already. I moved a big oval one from the middle of my yard over to the side so the kids could have more lawn. Now I have to get a bobcat and dig a new one at my new house. :)

Lisa, doll, you are still new enough to not know any better. Don't believe a thing they say. LOL

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

LOL are you going to have pictures taken of you workin' that bobcat? That's gotta be worth a whole new topic! *laughs* Might have to charge admission! Anyhoo....would love to see the progress on that project. Have fun with your greenhouse.....I'm going to admire from afar! :-) it will probably be spring before the 'GH' talk happens again....because the holidays will be upon us...sooner than we all expect LOL

Sedona, AZ

Badseed,
Thanks for the encouragement. I bought the 8x16 Rion from Costco and they delivered it two days ago. It came with a base, but my neighbor said if I don't set it EXACTLY level the whole greenhouse will have problems. I spent two days now trying to get the rocky ground level...even had compactor soil (sand, dirt, gravel) delivered. We will put it on the side of our lot that is the downside of a hill, so we dug out and leveled the area. Whew! what a job. My question to you is how level is level enough. Also what is the best floor composition? Pea gravel? Pavers? or just plain dirt? I am SO excited to have my DreamGreenHouse. I have six grown children and need to nurture Something!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

No CHele but I would think that the more level the better,, but it's just the foundation that is critical.. you can level out the inside with pea gravel

Sedona, AZ

Thanks for the tip. I am new to this and want to do it right!

taffy2, besure to post some pictures, to tie Terry and myself over until ours comes.

Sedona, AZ

Will do. Be prepared for many many pieces. Three of us have spent two days so far. We did finally get the base and bottom leveled and in place. Today we put part of the roof above the door and back side together. Tomorrow maybe we can get most of it up. thanks for the idea of taking pictures. I know Badseed took pics as she went along. Let me know when you get your kit.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

nice job! im thinking about the purchase of a rion 8x20 and was wondering about if you have had any problems with condensation and what ways you've heated your house

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have not used mine to overwinter anything. I didn't put it up until late February. I just moved and haven't had time to put it back up yet. I was able to move my tropical plants out into it pretty quick and used a space heater to keep it above 40. My personal observation is that the greenhouse itself keeps temps about 20 degrees above the outside temp when kept closed up as much as possible during cool weather.

I should have it back up shortly and am going to use some Christmas type lights with glass bulbs to see how that affects the electric bill and how much heat they add.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

your one smart cookie! the xmas lights for heat will work great the cheaper the string the better , string them up like a spider webb to to operate safley when unattended, they cost next to zero to operate but watch out! enough strings and your neighbors will thing the martians have landed in your back yard...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I just gave up city living for life on a small farm. Trust me, the neighbors are already worried. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.