Building the Rion greenhouse (my way) LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, first let me explain my way. That means I did it while taking care of six kids that came down with a stomach virus right after the greenhouse was delivered. Oh, and hubby and I both work two jobs. He's gone 7 days a week. LOL I had to haul 10 railroad ties through the mud to the back yard and did get hubby to help with the last 6! Hubby also helped me set the roof on.

Here is the site. As you can see, there was not much fall clean up here. :O

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are half of the railroad ties. See how clean and nice and uniform they are? NOT!! Those things are heavy too!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

How many parts come with the Rion greenhouse? I didn't count. I just seperated them all. LOL I can get a total if anyone wants one.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Some more parts......

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yet some more parts...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

With the help of hubby and that yellow wagon there (that holds 1200 pounds), the ties were taken to the back yard. I dug out trenches, tossed in the ties, levelled them all and built the base and screwed it down.

Once I toss out that little hoop house and put the beds in front, I sure hope it looks a lot nicer! LOL Anybody got a chainsaw?

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The next night I didn't get outside until after 5pm. Sigh. I ran in and out to feed the baby, cook dinner, feed the kids.....whatever other motherly duties I had. LOL I finally got done a bit after midnight. I went in to get my hubby to help carry the roof over and put it on the base. I found him sleeping. No, I am not that mean! I admitted defeat, cleaned my bedroom, took a bath and sorted laundry! ;)

Two days later, we were both home during the day and we carried the roof out and set it on while the older kids watched the little kids.

Somehow I missed taking a pic of the uprights on top of the base but it really was not all that exciting.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What's left to do? I still need to drop in the wall panels and the lower roof panels. I dragged all the leftover pieces in last night and put the doors together. Once the above things are put on, all I will have left is running around with scissors or a razor, pointed up of course, and put all the rubber insulation strips on. Bwahahahaha Oh, I also have to install the auto openers on the roof windows.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunny, dry day. I don't even care if it's warm or not! Hubby will be home until the afternoon and can keep the kids busy so I can finish up! I think I am STARTING to get excited. Then I can think about shelves and heat and.....um...guess I'll go feed the baby again. She's teething. :(

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

looking good!! You sure are an ambicious woman!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Badseed - it makes be tired just reading this thread.

Bless your heart, more power to you and You Go Girl!!!

I wish I had something just really powerful to (((((YELL))))))) cause I'm so impressed.

Judy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh Chele you are going to love that when its finished!! I can just see you running back and forth and wanting to be outside every second to get a lil more done!!!
But where is the picture of you!!???

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

badseed, what progress you have made considering that you are raising six kids and working two jobs, you have more energy then 20 of us GOOD JOB I bet you can't wait to start growing. What a pleasure to see the actual building of a greenhouse. What a woman, would you like to give me some of that energy, I guess you don't need to go to a gym mor ethen enough excerise lol.

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Looking absolutely fabulous. Look at all those parts!!!! I am tired just looking at the pictures. You are one heck of a woman -so much energy. I need a nap. Soon the real fun will begin, loading that puppy up with seedlings. I have my new greenhouse loaded with flats of strawberries, tomatoes, poppies, marigolds, and yes, more tomatoes.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks a bunch for being my cheering section! I was going to post pictures as I went but was afraid I would feel too much pressure. LOL My hubby ran number four to preschool and went he gets home, I am running back out there. I'll about an hour and a half to myself. Then I'll be able to get back out for another hour or so before he leaves for work. I'm hoping to get it all done except maybe finishing the rubber insulation pieces. I am hoping to use the shelving from my little metal greenhouse at least for now.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Badseed!!!----I am so impressed! Very cool. Can I rent out a shelf?!!

p.s. What Vitamins do you take? Can you sell me some of those, too? ;-) judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Judy! I spend most of my life playing beat the clock. Things in my life have been going exceptionally well for a bit and I am almost afraid to say that out loud. When things go badly, you can just think, it can only get better. When things go well, you sort of walk around with that shadow of doubt, wondering what will go wrong. Does that make sense? With hubby and I working so much, we have been able to change lots of things in our lives, dump most of our bills, buy some luxury items, etc. These things only happened BECAUSE we have worked so hard. I hate to cast sort of a cloud over things but I have to seriously say we have worked hard to get here. I would hate for people to think things have been handed to us. I do worry about what people think. :)

When I am reminiscent as I am now, I always think about something my Great Uncle often said. "All it takes is hard work and money." Does it get any more true than that?!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

'chele it's GORGEOUS - I'm soooo impressed. (How on earth you manage to do it with that passel o'younguns and two jobs???? Whew! I feel like an absolute slug, with half as many kids (and most of them twice the ages of yours - and half as many jobs ;o)

(((((BIG hug to ya)))))) I know you're going to really enjoy that wonderful GH when it's finished!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Michele.......... I am soooooooooo impressed!!!!!!!!! When I was young...I used to be able to do things like that too...but not anymore. I am really proud of you!! It looks great...and I just know the rest of it will go into place just fine. I am sure you will enjoy it. I know I will..mine..IF I ever get around to getting one..lol!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Terry, you are gracious and warm as usual! It's not so hard with double the kids WHEN you can get the older ones to help with the younger. :) I am feeling truly blessed right now, as well as exhausted and dirty. No idle hands here. LOL I got the sidewalls on and the lower roof. The little three were absolutely wonderful today. I have to run out for the older three in a few and hope they are in such a good mood.

Marcy, I am having a really good time building this thing by myself. Nothing makes me feel so good as working hard outdoors does. I think it makes me feel closer to my elders, that had to garden and farm for a living and to eat. As I said above, I am feeling so blessed lately, that I can barely hold the load of hapiness I feel. The kids are healthy and life is good! I nearly hate to say that out loud! I truly believe that you can do things you thought you could not, if you simply believe. I wish that only held true to the mountains of laundry and shopping and cooking. LOL

Hugs to all of you,
Michele

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele it looks great. Wow you have really come along with it fast. Good grief if I had all those pieces I would still be sitting there looking at them. I know how long you have wanted a GH and thrilled you finally have one. I am impressed you got it done so quick and I love it. Way to GO!!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, it's all done now except the rubber weather proofing strips! I even got the automatic window openers in! I was busy with homework and dinner and such and did not get out for pics until just a bit ago.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Look! This is with the doors CLOSED! LOL I guess I should be up and planting soon. I left out that a front base piece was broken. I emailed last week to have the piece replaced. I wrote back today to see when it it shipped and when it should be here. I found out the company had just moved and was just shipping today. :( All in all, I only had a problem with three pieces. I hope to get those soon so I can be finished. I have to work tomorrow and am hoping to get the shelving in tomorrow or Friday.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Rail Road ties are HEAVY! Looks great. Congratuations on all your hard work. And that pile of parts----I would of said---oh !
I had greenhouse kit delivered a few weeks ago----we put it together--or hubby did most of it. But the darn delivery company called me today and said they had one more package that went to that kit that wasnt delivered. And wanted to know if i was missing anything. I said i have no idea. But that greenhouse is up no matter whats in that package------i been dieing to know what it is all day. they will deliver it later.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you cricket! It has been a bunch of work but I truly enjoy it. I wish I could have huge GH's like you and Bernie and some of the others, but alas I live where I can only have what he politely called a 'city greenhouse'. I don't need to live off of what I grow, but if I can pump up the gardens and feed the girls, it was well worth it. :) I would be wondering what was in that package too! LOL Are your dimensions right? My luck the other 10' would be in there. hahahaha

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

lol what ever it is----they said it was in a small burlap sack. We really have no idea what it could be. I'll probly laugh when i open it. I'm already laughing. Hubby said he can't think of what it could be cause he swears everything was there to put it together. mystery package.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Hobby greenhouses are wonderful----I started out with a hobby greenhouse and it got bigger and bigger. I started a greenhouse business cause I didnt want to work and leave my long awaited baby with someone else. Waited 10 1/2 years trying to have another child. So you can imagine why i wanted to stay home. It was hard running the greenhouse and taking care of my chad but i did it. Then we moved and he went to school this school and im starting all over again. I went to college before i got pg with chad to be an accountant but now that I have been doing the greenhouse business for 5 yrs----Id rather do it. I like it. Not having a greenhouse business would be like prison for me. Its amazing how your life can change over night. Crazy me----I even bought computers and printers and softwares and business cards and phone system and website all set up to build an Accounting and Bookkeeping Service. What did I do? When Spring was 4 months around the corner----i changed my mind. All that money wasted. All cause i cant imagine not having a greenhouse business. Oh well.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am so glad you shared with me. :) I have six daughters, ranging from 10 months to 11 years. I pop them out like a pez dispenser. LOL If you search DG, you'll find proof of my pez-iness! ROTF I do love and appreciate every single one of them. We are even considering a couple more.

I truly love growing from seed and grow some stuff just because some say it is so difficult. I can seriously see me with a greenhouse business and really would love to do that someday soon. I am also eager to get out into a more rural area where I can do this because the school system here is the pits. My husband does have a real job so the pressure is not so much on me. I do get out and work because it takes the pressure of the budget and also because I think it is good for me to get away from the kids a bit. I also get a discount and usually bring them home clothes and goodies. LOL That is always good when you have a house full of girls.

One of these days I might have to hit you up for advice. :)

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

badseed, reading your posy, I think you are truly blessed a beautiful family and still be able to do what you liek as a stress reliever gardening and I hope everyone her can make you smile and you did me with a positive attitude.

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

well i quess i should have checked my spelling before i posted LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

badseed is fertyle mertyle. 6 girls wow. we're trying for a girl.. I have two boys. 16 and 5yrs old. Im probly stupid for trying to have another child at 35. But it just dont seem complete without a little girl.
Hats off to ya badseed. To do all that with 6 girls. Im lucky to get done what i do with just 2 kids. And i thought i had alot of laundry. Not.

Hope ya have lots of relaxing fun in your greenhouse.

cricket

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Wow Badseed! You done splendid!
Can I ask a couple questions?
What did you pay for gh (I know you said but I forgot)?
Is it really as easy to put together as you say?
Do you like it so far?
Are you trying for a boy?
When do you actually have time to garden?!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LMBO Sylvi! That is more than a couple of questions.

Okay, you can buy this one from several places including www.riongreenhouses.com , www.target.com (type in rion), many of the other companies that sell them. The basic model only comes with a roof window on 8' and 2 windows on 12' or more lengths. Almost EVERY company ships it for free. I got the manufacturer's number from Target and called the company that imports and distributes them. The man I talked to gave me the distributor price on it. The bad side was that I had to pay shipping but I got the greenhouse for much less. I got the 8x12' with two roof windows, two automatic window openers, the louvred rear window and the shade cloth. WIth postage, I ended up paying $1485 total. Out of all the companies I checked. www.samsclub.com had the best prices and the 8' included all the extras. The 12' only had the basic stuff. You can buy them with the base or build it on your own.

It is pretty easy to put together if you can follow directions. All the pieces are held together by little plastic plug things and they send you a little tool to put them in with. It is an absolute must that you open all the boxes and seperate them and count them before you do anything else. Some of the parts look a lot like other parts.

I REALLY do like it. It is snowing today. :( It is kind of not real, that it is out there. LOL I think it will be much more fun when I can go plant something in it!!

No, we are not trying for a boy. We'd really prefer to have more girls if we have more kids or hope to start popping out twin boys so they can at least protect each other. LOL In the event that a single male should pop out, I would not try to put him back in hopes he would exit the second time as a female. :) Would you like to contribute to the Midol, Playtex, toilet paper, prom dress and wedding fund? Bwahahahaha

I garden BECAUSE I have kids. My father once visited and wanted to know if I had enough plants. I told him every plant was a time the kids should have gotten beaten and didn't. LOL Having raised four himself, he knew exactly what I meant. Sometimes they help me and sometimes they don't. I leave it up to them. I garden to get some me time.

Whew! Did I cover everything? :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

omg chele you did good girl! wow bring on spring!!!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Dori. Thanks!

I just need a new spine! I have bruises on most of my body, scaly hands and had to cut off all my fingernails. LOL Can't wait to plant something!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Badseed you remind me of my younger days had four kids three preschool and one married i help son in law roof my house at 35 year
old . love hammering and doing stuff like that ,but now I_R OLD and boy is my body pay for what i did i could till 47 always lift my body wait and I'm a skinny frail person now toilet tissue is heavy . Good job and beautiful greenhouse .

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you tazzy! Nice to see you. I think I am slowing down already! LOL I think I am always thinking 'when I get this last thing done.....' but there is always one more thing. good thing I like to stay busy. When I was younger, I was not allowed to do stuff like this because I was a 'girl'. Piff! I sure am not raising mine that way. LOL

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Me either all the boys can cook my daughter is just like her Mom she does it all .And bless her heart she even got my high speed mouth ? poor girl

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

chele i cant believe how fast you got that thing together-there must have been a picture on the box, thats the only way i can ever get things together
Im so darn impressed!
Im so happy for you! you will love it!! :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Dori! Yeah, there were pictures.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I remembered seeing this before I bought mine. You guys wanna know how many parts and how the directions are to follow, go here: http://www.riongreenhouses.com/resources/installation.html If you scroll to the bottom, you can get the directions in pdf. It may be the decision maker for people deciding if they want this one or not. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.