Newbie question about repotting

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi

I just repotted a plant (a peace lily) for the first time today from a 4" to a 6" pot, and after I was done, I realized it was about an inch off center. So, I know this might be a stupid question, but is that going to make it off center the next time I repot it? Should I do it again and make sure it's more centered?

Kelly :)

This message was edited Feb 18, 2005 2:58 AM

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't worry about it being off center...nothing in nature grows perfect~ the next time you repot to a larger container, (if it bothers you so) just center it, and repot as you did this time...the roots will be off center this time...lol~ Debra~

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cea....

I disagree with Red Sun. If you JUST repotted it, and it is off center, I would just pull it back out and reposition it so it is center. AND!!! May I remind you to NEVER add extra soil to the surface of the plant when you repot anything--no more than a sprinkling. Plants get used to growing at a certain level and if you add as much as 2" extra of soil on top, it will,slowly, kill he plant.

The best way to repot anything is to:

--Take the original plant out of it's existing pot. Lay it aside. Chech roots.
--Take a pot one size larger in diameter. Put some fresh potting mix in the
bottom. Usually about 2" or so. Work some of the new soil up the edges
of the pot to make up for the difference in diameter.
--Put the old pot (that you took the plant out of) on top of the new soil and fill/firm new potting mix around the edges, creating a perfect match for the existing volume of the old pot. If the plant is root-bound, gently tease some of the roots loose with your fingers to give them new "direction" once you repot.
--Set the existing root-ball into the new soil. Fill in around edges as required,
gently firming the soil as you go. Give the new pot a few hard taps on the
table to settle the soil. Water in and then let it be for a while. DO NOT
fertilize!!!! Keep it more sheltered than usual! Repotting is a streesful thing
for ANY plant!!! Baby it for a while! No bright light! Not too much water!

After a few weeks, you can move it back to it's regular location. Keep an eye out for any signs of stress. Act accordingly! NEVER let a Peace Lily totally wilt!!!! Keep it evenly moist. If it wilts and collapses, YES! it will come back, eventually, but there will be a price to pay! You will see a lot of yellowing leaves at the bottom. If this happens, just pull the leaves off.

You can apply this to any repotting of ANY plant!!!

ALSO!!! Remember that Peace LIlies LIKE to be rootboud! They bloom better in those conditions. DO NOT just re-pot b/c you feel like it!!!

Gitagal

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Gitagal, thanks for the great tips!! I'll definitely use them.

But I have one question--why is it bad for the roots to be off center?

Kelly

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Kelly~ so one disagrees....let me share with you one thing, if repotting is to be such a chore, so will be enjoying ones plants....your mistake was a simple one, one that has been made by every (well almost every) gardener, and plant lover, not to fret...your plant will fare well, as will you when you look and learn from your first repotting experience...have fun with your gardening, it's natural afterall~ oh by the way one thing that wasn't mentioned, is the fact when you repot, do not cover the crown ( the area above the roots, and below the leaves) with soil...it'll rot....other than that.....when the soil feels like it's drying out...water.....if you live in a dry climate, mist the plant for humidity needs.....when repotting set the plant aside for a day or two, so that it recuperates from it's change.... by all means have fun, and love the experience of growing plants~ Debra~

Kelly, I'm with RedSunDance. Gitagal does make some good points and has a lot of good advice. However, a few of my plants off-centre in their pots, mostly from settling after repotting, and it never killed them. If it bothers my asethic sensibilities, I fix it, if not, they grow just fine anyway. I REALLY enjoy looking after my plants. I have more than 100, all healthy and growing.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gitgal ,
Thanks for your wonderful directions on potting. You give great advice.

Kelly,
I agree with RedSundance . If your plant is off center no big deal. Just like people, plants are not perfect either. That is what makes them so special. Having fun is what gardening is all about. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is all small stuff. Enjoy!
Patti

>

This message was edited Feb 25, 2005 10:47 AM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2005 12:54 PM

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, guys :) I didn't think it was a big deal for it to be off center, but I'm so new to all this that I figured I'd ask. Thank you all so much for all the tips and information. And I didn't cover the crown (although that was more beginner's luck than know-how! LOL)

Kelly

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Gitagal, thanks for all the helpful info. I didn't know peace lilies did better rootbound. Are there any others like that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Kelly,

Having a plant off-center has NO negative effects on it! Just aesthetic ones! In you original post you seemed concerned that it WAS off center, that i why I suggested repositioning it. NO problem, otherwise!!! It won't affect it's health or growth! I just think it looks better if a plant is centered!

jdee--

Some other plants, that i know of, that do better rootbound are Ivies, Pothos, African Violets, Aeglonemas, Anthuriums, Jades, Aloes, and most other succulents. I am sure there are many more! I am brain-dead at this moment!

The thing here is, that many plants perform their best, a lot of blooming ones, when their roots hit that "barrier" of the edge of the pot. Then they bloom. If you plant an AV ( for example) in a 6" pot, it will concentrate most of it's energies on growing roots until it reaches that "rootbound" stage. Then it will "say": GEEZ!!! I have nowhere else to go! I might as well BLOOM!!!"

A pun, but it is true!!! Gitagal

Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

gitagal, I am in South Florida, and working to repot plants is a real hassle. These are plants that spend the winter outdoors, but must come inside to get out of the hot summer sun.
Unfortunatly, when they come inside, I need to have them be not only functional, but also beautiful, because I also use them to decorate my home in the summer months! Since these plants are HUGE outside, they present quite a challange indoors. Repotting is a real issue...
Thank you for your advice, I may not be in a "house beautiful" mode but bringing them indoors is a challange...so thanks for your info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.