How Long And Where...

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

To saving seeds or in regards to? Hello all, I hope all is well. I'm looking forward to a beautiful spring and summer as well as a growing season. I was just wondering, how long are my seeds good for, and where is the best place to store them? Basic will do, as far as lighting and temperature with storing, and the year that is marked on my seeds i.e. 2003 etc; how long after that date will they still be somewhat productive as far as germinating percentage. I do mostly veggie seeds, maters, eggplants, and peppers, as well as cukes, squash, and some pumpkins( my first year trying these badboys, or badgirls, I'm all about equality.) I also do a few herbs here and there. I thank you for your time and patience. Good Luck Gardening, respectfully, your friend, Danny

central Arkansas, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Danny, I store my seeds in the crisper part of the fridge and really don't know how long they will last...I just keep planting them every year until I've used them all..which generally doesn't take too many years, given the size of most seed packets.

However, a huge pkt of TAM Jalapeno pepper seeds came with my gh when I got it 14 years ago and believe it or not, I am still planting a 6pk every spring, and continue to get close to 100% germination! I've read that peppers generally don't last too long in storage but that hasn't been the case with these. I don't know is it is my method of storing or just some extraordinarily viable seeds. Now having bragged on them, I've probably jinxed the ones I just planted today and nary a one will sprout. lol

If your 2003 (or older) seed has been wisely stored..(cool and dry)..I believe they will be ok. Hope so.

Good luck!!
Mary

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

There's a fabulous book recommended in the Garden Bookworm that addresses many if not all of these questions. It's entitled "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth; I have only just begun to read it. :)

Here are some of the stats for how viable seeds are if stored under ideal conditions (such as what Mary stated above), with a minimum of 50% viability:

Beans - 4 years
Carrots - 3 years
Corn - 3 years
Cucumbers - 10 years
Eggplants - 7 years
Peas - 3 years
Peppers - 3 years
Squash - 6 years
Tomatoes - 4-10 years

Donna

This message was edited Feb 16, 2005 8:30 PM

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Mary and Donna, thanx for the knowledge. Danny

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I've hear of toms that are good for 20.What about the seeds in the tombs in Egypt the seeds grew from in there.heehee
Jody

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

No tombs within walking distance here, though. *giggle* My my, you're in a feisty mood today Jody... and I love it! :)

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

No tumbs your right about that.heehee

I guess I am a bit naughty today.lol.Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.