Look What's Coming Up!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

What a glorious day... it probably hit 70 today... breezy... very nice... got the spring fever and decided to do something about all those mountains of leaves on my beds...

Lo and Behold... I got something coming up!!! I got out my 'map' and realized that I put stuff in there that is not marked... how could I have done that??? Anyway, I got so excited that I spent all afternoon getting those leaves off the beds... then it hit me tonight.. it is gonna get cold again... uh oh! now what?

This picture is of the bed by the retaining wall... lots of sprouts there!! yipeeee

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is a closer view...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

and another...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

this group isn't showing much yet... but there are a couple just barely peeking out...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are half of the leaves that came out of that bed... the other half are at the other end of the retaining wall... they don't look like a lot in this picture... but the pile was huge...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is the bed on the east side of the house... it was covered in leaves, too... it has daffodils, hyacinth, some orange daylilies, Katherine and Donna's iris, and I planted some pieces of peony that I got from a neighbor, but they are not doing anything... I hope they didn't die...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

a closer view....

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Iris in an old water tank... up at the barn... I can't remember what the others are... I forgot to write it down... sigh...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I found these peonies coming up in a large pot that I had set my cuttings in... I must have missed some... and I found them under 2 foot of leaves... :)

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Everything looks just great Starr! Can't wait to see blooms!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I am like a kid... just tickled pink... waiting for those blooms..

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

How exciting, Starr! I bet those iris and daylilies in the tub will be beautiful. I can't wait to see more of my stuff coming up.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Terrie, Do you have very many breaking ground yet? I was wondering if the reason these are coming up is because all those leaves were on them... I am concerned that now I have removed the leaves the cold will get to them...

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I do have stuff coming up but I'm sure we can expect another freeze before winter is over. As it is colder where you are, and if it isn't too much trouble, I think I would cover them back up. But then I'm just learning. Maybe Wanda or Tazzy or one of you other more experienced gals will know what to do?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

cover back up use wood chips it wont hold so much water ? i saw day lily shots and i think a couple of Lily's

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I have cedar wood chips... is it ok to use cedar? also, these darn things grew like crazy overnight... some of those shoots that were barely poking through are now close to 3 inches above ground... I meant to take a picture of them for comparison, but forgot... I will take a pic of them tomorrow before I cover them again...

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy, it's cold again tonight. We've slept with the airconditioner on for the last 3 nights and I had to turn the heat on when I came in from work today.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Terrie,

Air conditoining in February? Wow! I don't think we ever ran the air in Feb even when we lived in Az... lol...

somebody tell me if I can use cedar shavings to cover my lil sprouts back up... I sure hate to put those wet leaves back on... (not to mention they were so much work to get off)

CEDAR IS GREAT .i USE IT ALL THE TIME AND CYPRUS AND PINE

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Tazzy.... I just wanted to make sure... How are you feeling tonight? I hope you are better. (((Hugs)))

crummy ,just getting ready to e-mail you got box
happy dance .love ya!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I am glad you got it. You was supposed to get it Monday, but it wasn't mailed on friday... DD didn't get it off to you til Monday... sigh... Hope it arrived in good condition... :)

all healthy and my Lil fairy is on my bed side table and i have
red candle burning ,nice and comfy in here I'm to sick to set up .

This message was edited Feb 17, 2005 1:17 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

starr did you put muscari,grape hyacinth in that old water tank with the iris? those leaves are so very hardy. i'm excited seeing my snow melting and seeing the green that is underneath too. most things will either withstand the cold again, or die and come back again.. things like the lilies though i would cover up quickly.
thanks for the pictures, does my heart good to see spring.
debi and franklin

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

debi_z, You are very welcome... I am thinking with the crazy weather we have had here this year, that it would not surprise me if we had an early spring... then again that could be wishful thinking... When do y'all usually get spring melts?

I don't remember what I put in the tank with the iris... I forgot to write it down and am hoping to id it when it blooms. I am going to be so careful in the future to not put off writing stuff down when I plant. So many times last fall I thought, Oh, I know what is there I can write it down later... and now I don't know what a lot of things are that are coming up... I know what I planted and I did plant some hyacinth, crocus, and lilies in random spots to fill in spaces here and there. I do not know the plants well enough to id them from their little sprouts coming up.

Tazzy, I am glad you liked her and that they arrived ok. Hurry and get better, I think you may be missing a few nice days of weather. :)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Starr,
I have a real issue with turning the air on in February. I have always just opened windows when it was warm in the winter, but DH insists on cold at night. We have been married only four years this May, and since we were both pretty set in our ways, this is just one area I had to compromise. LOL

Tazzy, glad to hear you are feeling better!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

starr, i forget everything!!!! if it isn't written down and put in right away forget about it. and if the tag goes missing or fades away, well there goes the name of the plant too, unless it is one that is lucky enough to have stuck in this sieve of a brain. :-)

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Terrie... bbbrrrrrr ... I like to be warm when inside!! lol... I would have issues too with a/c in the winter... especially at night... ;)

debi_z, I am learning fast to write it down immediately. I worked today with the little "map" I made last year and was able to ID the lilies, iris, and daylilies I planted... the only thing I dont know now is the crocus and hyacinth and daffodils... I will get them tagged when they come up more or bloom... the daffodils I pretty much know on sight when they come up... :)

It was nippy today but i worked in garden and planted a Weeping Cherry tree. Am fnding signs of new birth in yard

Thumbnail by tazzy

Buds on my white Lilac bush.
soon and very soon we will see spring !

Thumbnail by tazzy

my Iris bird house awaiting a nest of little chirpers.

Thumbnail by tazzy
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Taz, Thanks for adding pics!!! You got babies in the garden (crocus?) ... cool.... and buds on the tree... and that is a great bird house!!! I have a small baby lilac tree that I five... ahhhh ... acquired, and it was not doing well when winter came... I have no idea if it is still alive or not... hope it made it...

anyone else have shots of their lil sprouts or new stuff coming up? Don't be shy for heaven's sake ...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sprouts? I just found the plant markers!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Moby, No sprouts yet?... Wellll, you live half way to the artic and it is almost as cold there... lol.... and I am sure you have nice plant markers.... so send us a pic of them til you get your lil sprouts up... ;)

lets all hope we find our plant markers ?
some Winters they just vanish into ( THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE )

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I think the voles are toying with me... they are probly rearranging the plant markers just to mess with my mind... ;) ... (what little there is left of it)

My Nandia bush is the prettiest in winter but i like it year round for the foliage.

Thumbnail by tazzy

My pink RHODODENDRON
Is ready to go its just setting with buds
waiting for some heat from sunny days .

Thumbnail by tazzy

My sun room is busting out, with things ready to
go to greenhouse and yard ?

Thumbnail by tazzy

more sun room