HELP!! What plant is this?

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

OK nobody ever said I was a genius on this subject! We got this at the office I work in for a gift. Looked great then. What is the name of this and what are we doing wrong? Several pics to follow

Tina

Thumbnail by tmbolin
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

and another

Thumbnail by tmbolin
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I did find a couple of regular small snails on the trunk. And it looks like this thing has a trunk that resembles bark. The leaves just turn black and shrivel up and fall off!!

Thumbnail by tmbolin
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

this entire tree was covered with leaves and this is whats left in 2 weeks time

Thumbnail by tmbolin
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Looks like a 'China Doll' Radermachera sinica

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree with Rikerbear and unfortunately Tina that's exactly what happened to mine! It seemed to do better for a bit in the garage but finally died anyway.

I will be watching this thread - I would love to have another, maybe someone can clue us in!

Nicole

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Cut back any and all damaged or infected leaf stems. Once the plant recovers from the stress of being 'sick' it will spring back and fill out again. These plants recover very well....at least all of mine have.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

thanks Mark. It has some new growth at the top that looks pretty good. What about light and watering? Anything special?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Let the soil dry to about two inches down between watering....good bright indirect light (filtered light)
seems to work the best for mine.
Also I rarely fertilize, and when I do it is usually 1/2 strength....past experience has proven they don;t like to be 'well fed'.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Good advice from Rikerbear.

My experience has also told me that this plant likes to grow in a rather 'cool' location. (I've found that spider mites are attracted to them, too.) The leaves turning black could very well be from a location that's too warm....as that's what happened to one that I had.

A nursery near me had several *really big ones* growing outdoors during the fall (no frost or freeze) and the owner and I were discussing how they seemed to be thriving with those cool evenings.

What kind of light does it receive?

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

the heat things sounds about right. these front office girls have it so darn hot in the lobby I just about stroke out!! I took it home on monday so we'll see if i can make it happier;)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just put mine outside to live out its last days. It has a bad case of scale. I'm so sad, because it has been such a wonderful plant. It still looks decent, although it's been dropping leaves like crazy and has all that icky sap that scale leaves in their wake. I'm wondering if I could just cut it all back and start over?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would think you would end up with a diiferent sort of habit if you did that, so if you're after a bush, that just might do the trick for you. But if you're after a tree, you'd be better of getting a new young one. BTW this is a tree in full sun in TX and CA, so it does love it's sun.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It was bush-like to begin with, and it's a house plant for me, so that part doesn't matter to me. I did end up cutting it back and repotting it, after gently rinsing the roots with warm water. It's now in my basement, under lights. We'll see what happens. I didn't have anything to lose by doing that.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nope! You sure didn't. I bet it does great for you!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm hoping!! :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just came upon this thread and wanted to add one more thing. They don't enjoy letting their roots spread out much. We had a beautiful one that was absolutely thriving until I decided it needed "more room." It died - my DD reminds me of this 5 years later...ugh!!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Tina, how's your China Doll doing?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I've got two new shoots of growth on one of the three that I cut off last month. :-)

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gave it too my niece. she has more patience than I for babying things;)

Tina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.