Botany Quiz: Which propagation method provides the best germination results?

There are a total of 239 votes:

Layering
(12 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Cutting
(21 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Division
(31 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Chitting
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Tissue culture
(14 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Budding
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Seed sowing
(144 votes, 60%)
Red dot

Suckering
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

None of the above
(6 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(5 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I voted for TC....as for "best" I am assuming you mean the most reliable method, the most numbers of new plants! I do not necessarily think they produce the most desireable plants!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

germination wouldn't be the same as propagating,maybe I'm wrong.my guess anyway.hehe Jody

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Only seeds germinate, right?

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Ok, trick question right? : )
I picked seed sowing for best germination.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

ssssshhhhhhh....... *grin*

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

;-)

(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure I'm up to trick questions on a Monday morning! Just spotted this one in time. :>)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Examples of hearing but, not listening. :-)

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

I voted chitting but I cheated and looked up the word first to make sure, in our Garden Terms.
This is what it says for chitting:
Germinating seed (or potatoes) before sowing by placing in a damp, warm place; see also greensprouting

And this is what it says for greensprouting:
A technique to hasten the germination process of seeds (or potatoes). For potatoes, place the uncut seed tubers in a warm (65° to 70° F) dark place. As soon as sprouts begin to appear, move to light and lower the temperatures to about 50° F to keep the sprouts short and stocky.

This technique is supposed to reduce the time to harvest by nearly two weeks. Another term for the technique is chitting

Since the question asks for best GERMINATION results, I think chitting's the answer.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted for TC, but I really have no idea...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, I get it....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I'll tell my vote later! Pretty ---------.
Bernie

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I din't even vote because i suspected something was up. I don't know much about the others, but my seeds germinate best when I sow them...

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol... I wondered about this questions.....

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

too early here...shouldn't have voted before I opened my eyes and turned on my brain for the day.....Duh! **shaking head**

DiOhio may have caught me on a technicality ;o) That will teach me to throw some additional terms in there without looking first *grin*

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good for you, DiOhio! :-)
Try a trick question on us, will ya???.....(cackling maniacally) lol

(I have to admit I didn't catch it, and I was thinking....doesn't it depend on the plant?)

Shannon

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Duh, Seed sowing.....all the others are propagation

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Not so...check DiOhio's post above.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Fight, fight! LOL

Cleveland, OH

Only seeds (and spores in the case of ferns and their relatives) germinate! All the other answer options are propagation, not germination.

Seed sowing is a form of propagation.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Seeds are formed by sexual means (male and female).........propagation is asexual reproduction.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats true but, so is what Baa said Marc.

Yes, there is sexual and asexual propagation.

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

Seeds don't always come true to parent flower. However, if one plants a rooted cutting from mother plant, it will come true. (be same as parent plant.)
This was the channel I was on..........READING COMPREHENSION is not my strong point. lol

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted seed sowing, but after reading all this, I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I voted for germination.
I agree everything else is something else.
If you think a potato is a seed, try and keep that "seed" for an extended time without it growing!
If a potato is a seed, so are gladiolus, lillies, dahlias, tulips & any other plant that starts from a tuber or a bulb.
Better check out the Garden Terms, there must be some wrong information!
Bernie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The GardenTerms definition for greensprouting says that it can be used to germinate potatoes as well as seeds - it doesn't say that potatoes are seeds.

Either way, all this discussion proves that it was a good choice of poll question, IMHO! :-) Thanks, Terry.

Shannon

Well, after doing some research, I had to conclude that greensprouting/chitting is a term usually reserved for seed potatoes - seldom for true seeds. I've tweaked the definition accordingly, which should help clear up any misunderstandings. (The point of the question was to make us think about the definition of propagation and germination - not to cause confusion ;o)

Chitting is a more agricultural term although I disagree that it is usually reserved for potatoes, Barley is chitted for the malting process.

It's true - a person can learn something new every day! I didn't know barley was chitted....did anyone else? Besides Baa, obviously? ;o)

LOL Went to malt house on one of our college visits, not the most pleasant of sights, seeing a huge mass of chitting seeds. That of course was when I was a mere 'chit' of a girl ;)

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

Wow, I didn't even know there are so many method of propagation. I think now I need to look up some of the methods now.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

*snicker snort*

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I looked up "Germination" in Rodales Encyclopedia of Organic Gardenning.
It has an awful lots of seeds listed. Does not list potatoes or any other tubers.
It talks about the seed taking in moisture, then the growth of the little plant starts, etc.
Bernie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

This quiz is a job well done by Terry!
John

Just call me this week's "Queen of Confusion" - it wasn't intentional, mind you....(I couldn't have made it that confusing if I had set out to do so!)

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

Bernie, what does your book say about the word 'chitting'?

I just found this on a garden term site:
chitting
Chitting means pre-germination of seed. The normal method is to put the seed onto a thick layer of moistened absorbent material, such as kitchen towel. Another layer is laid over the top so that the seed is surrounded by moisture, and the whole pad kept moist until the seeds start to sprout, when they are said to have 'chitted'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.