greenhouse 16 x 80

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

well---my electric blanket is doing ok-----few exceptions------dont put webflats under your cell packs----put cell packs or seedling trays directly on the electric blanket and shallow cells or trays work better but it does work.----it was set on 9 ----highest being 10 and the warmth from the electric blanket was about 70 degrees---plus there is also plastic there so that may have stopped some of the heat from coming up.-----but this blanket is very old. its about 15 years old--thats why i was using it in the greenhouse---old. If i ruined it it would be ok---need new one anyway. the material is worn.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

these plants are so pretty.
i applied calicum nitrate to the grow bag tomato plants 3 days ago.
They already show big differance. But then again---after tomato plants take root in their new home--they can grow from 1 to 1 1/2 inches a day. sometimes more depending on how much you feed them
any way ----
this is pic from three days ago------march 17th

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

today pic march 20th

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

im so beside myself

and they are full of side shoots--suckers
i gotta prune ---sooonnn
some of the suckers are 1 inch long already
i dont guess it matters how early i prune them ---does it?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

3 days later Mar 23

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

close view

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

WOWZERZ

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I pruned the first set of suckers off the tomato plants already. I'll be tying them up today. Figure it will take me several days to get them all done so I am starting now so it will be done by the time they really need it. Time to fertilize them again already too. Time is passing fast for me cause im so busy.

People here are already putting tomatoes out in gardens. Gosh I'm late having them ready. But the Flats will be ready next week. So guess I will put it in my calendar to sow my mater seeds a week earlier next year.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Dang Cricket.....those maters in the containers are lookin good!!!! They're really thick looking stems. Nice. I'm glad you shared with me how to pot them up.

I'm going to town tomorrow morning and I"m picking up the 8 oz. Dixie Cups and lights.

I'm going to do my maters and bell peppers when I get home.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Those maters are in 5 gallon grow bags. 2 in each.
My other maters are in 6 inch pots---no pic but just as healthy. And others also in flats.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I've got a camera. I should be taking pictures of this.
I'll take a couple tomorrow after I have them transplanted.

I forgot to mention, I'm keeping a Journal on all this too.
Just in case I miss the date I want to put them out or miss the date I'd like to have them ready for market. I can change it next year.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2005 12:51 AM

Monticello, MN(Zone 4b)

I am curious about the calcium nitrate. Is this to help the plants absorb more of the minerals?

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

Cricetstomato, I have read through this entire thread, but didn't see where you got your greenhouse. I plan to put one up this summer and have gotten price quotes with costs all over the place. It looks really nice by the way, and exactly what I'm looking for!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Kellygreen, do you know you have Stuppy Greenhouses right there in KC.
www.stuppy.com
Bernie

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

I do, but they are pretty expensive. At least the quote they gave me. I do need to call and bypass the salesman.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

www.atlasgreenhouse.com
The frame i bought isnt on the site---request a catalog. its a 16x96 hoophouse with 6 foot spacing. I sure you will need a 4 foot spacing between hoops and will cost a little more. Instead of spacing mine 6 feet apart , I spaced them 5 feet apart. The same kit that I bought with the 6 foot spacings would give you a 16x64 at 4 foot spacings.
paid $629 for the frame
paid $224 for the poly
dont remember how much i paid for the ground cover cause i bought it back in the fall. its filed for tax purposes but im lazy on getting it out.
also a 20x100 30% shade clothe was $260 and all three items were shipped at one time for $192. But the company is in the next state beside me so shipping is most likely less than what northern states will have to pay.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I am so tired that i dont know if i want to lay down or sit down.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

my Cluster Grande have germinated---will transplant them to flats tomorrow ---then transplant again in 3 weeks to the grow bags.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

It's awesome Cricket

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket, I need your advice. I started 2 - 72 cell trays of Kong Coleus .

For me and my Dining Room / GH that is only part of the problem
I want to move them out to a well lit building , what would you say should be the minimum temps for these seedlings .

I can put a temp alarm out there and set it for min temp.

They already have their second set of true leaves so it's time to pot them up which will expand my space usage from 2 trays up to over 12 .

DH is already getting a funny look in his eye , my whole house looks like a jungle ... lol

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

well---first of all---they can grow along time in under florestant lights. And they are slow growers at first too.
My greenhouse temp as been as low as 40 degrees and my regular coleus are doing just fine. If you have long periods of cool/ cold spells it will just slow their growth. If they are heating up during the day then they will grow ok with low temps at night.
good luck

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I put some business cards out at the local gas stations. I got a call this morning from a farmer who lives a little north of me----he wants 30 flats of tomato plants : O
thats 36 to a flat too.
gosh i only have 46 flats that are ready now. If farmers are gonna call me for big orders---they better do it in advance. Dont ya think? And if they do=---should I charge them before I grow them large orders. How should I do that.
Im excited that someone wanted that many plants but at same time thinking what if i run out of plants and local small gardeners dont get any plants. :(

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

UPDATE

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes im proud!!!!!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

holly hocks in flats that should be transplanted to 6 inch pots.
They are double holly hocks. How much should I charge for them in 6 inch pots---growing them on for another 3-4 weeks?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

french marigolds

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Squash

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

6 inch tomato pots

WHOO - HOOO !

Mega Congrats on your first order !

I'm so excited for you.

cricket , do you know horseshoe ?
I'm sure he can answer some of your questions.
;~D

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm Not Horseshoe but...
We Never Sell Our Hollyhocks in 6" Pots.
We Use 4" for Single Plants and...
Starting More Hollyhock Seeds this Week that Will be Sold Quickly as 6-Packs.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

When I grow stuff in 4 inch pots here---people pass right by it. When I grow in 6 inch pots they always buy it. The plants can be the same age in both 4 inch and 6 inch but the 6 inch is always better looking and bigger. And the cost isn't much differance. $0.16 more and since its bigger better I can raise the price up much more. I like the 4 inch cause I can grow more in the space but they just dont sell very well.

And oh yeh. Went to Walmart the other day and they were selling 6 inch tomatoes for $4.95. I bout passed out. And i didnt see the first one missing from their collection ----HA they arent selling.

Well--turns out that the man who wants the flats of tomatoes is also a greenhouse grower--business. Only hes 10 times bigger than me and he was heating his tomato greenhouse with wood burner and the pipe fell apart during the night and killed all his tomato plants. So now he is out buying from other greenhouses to replace what he lost so he will have plants for his customers. Lucky me---He lives about 100 miles from here and was on his way thru when he just happen to stop at local gas station and saw my business cards. I will be selling the flats at wholesale price. $7 a flat of 36. We buy our bedding plugs from same company Dixie Green. We had lots to talk about and passed information and deals. Very nice Business meeting---- if you call it that. He couldnt take the flats with him today. He only had a open flat bed pick up truck. He didnt get here til dark---good thing I had lights. He will be coming back with a closed in trailer and picking up flats Thursday. He Promised. He wanted German Pink tomato plants but didnt have none. He also wanted Parks Whopper but didnt have those either. Guess I better follow suit and grow some next year.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow does everything look FABULOUS darling just fabulous!!
You still amaze me!!! Im so proud of you too!!
fantastic job!!!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Way to go Cricket! Everything looks great! Congradulations! Jill

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Went out today window shoping for a pick up truck for the greenhouse. Wow trucks are expensive! Ended up actually buying one on payments----bad cricket!!!!!!!!
1999 Black Ford Ranger Extended Cab with doors on extended cab------- 6 cylinder. 3.0 litre I think It was more than it was worth but Im still happy
$9461.
I couldnt aford a big truck. I'll take pic tomorrow. : )

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

here it is
couldnt wait for the sun to come up so i could pic it.
the bed should hold 18 flats or 35 baskets.
this truck needs some Hot Pink on it---dont it? ha

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

growing like weeds.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

can you see the blossom buds

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

everyting looks grand and i think a hot pink cricket on the side of the truck would look HOT!

Do you get to deduct your truck as a buisness expense??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.