Re-hydrating peat based potting soil-any tips?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Anybody have a good way to rejuvenate dry peatmoss based potting soil? I have some left in a bag that has dried out, and it seems to be waterproof now.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Try adding a few drops of liquid dish soap(Dawn or Ivory) and then wetting it down, mix it in as you go and then letting it drain the excess water off . I add in a sprinkle of Mosquito repelant pellets to my mix, too. It keeps the gnats away.
I do this especially with my African Violets that dry out.
I also add a few water crystals to the mix when planting anything in it afterwards,the water crystals help to keep the same thing from happening with a plant .
You do have to remember not to over water plants with the water crystals though.

MsC

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! Sometimes I add soil that isn't dried out and mix the two, but I don't have any right now!

Susan K

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I usually do as Susan does, mix it with some other mix (usually a 'too wet' mix), that seems to work the best. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, put the soils in and shake! K

Burns, TN(Zone 6b)

I learned a new trick recently to re-wet peat based soils - Add a scoop of moist perlite to your dry mix and it will moisten readily.

Also, African Violets respond real well to a self-watering system via a wick and container beneath with fertilizer water. There are number of self-watering containers on the market...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.