Mother of thousands???

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

A few months back a very nice DG'er send me 2 little plants of Mother of Thousands. For the life of me I can not remember who it was. If you should happen to read this message please let me know your name. I would like to tell you THANKS and to let you know they are doing great. I had one at first that I didn't think was going to make it, it was so tiny. But it did start growing and now they are about the same size. I even have some babies growing around there mother. Also I have some babies growing with some other plants that were on the shelf below them. Thought I would send a picture so you can see how they are doing. The one on the left is laying over I need to re-pot them in something bigger. The cup they are in now is the same cup that they were started in. I hope after I re-pot them they get even bigger.

Linda

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Knoxville, TN

I did not send you the plant, but, I can tell you that you will have babies in all plants that are near it once it grows! At the end of last summer, I even had a pup growing on the concrete driveway!

They were just loaded with babies, but now they are all gone. You are right they are growing everywhere. Right now they are very new to me and I really like them, maybe after summer may be another story. Thats ok. I like plants that multiply.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are also called Mother of Millions....do that give you a clue as to how they multiply? Good luck. I had one, ho ho, up north in my greenhoues. I finally got rid of Mother only to find babies growing in the cracks of everything.

Nancy Lee

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I love them. I have some growing out back that are 6 feet tall and blooming right now!!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WOW, rylaff........they sound beautiful. Are they the coral colored flowers? SIX FOOT, that's taller than me!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yea, kind of coral pink colored. I had no idea they got that tall. I have some out front that are much much shorter. The ones out back are near a faucet and are growing in a bed with lava rocks. Might have something to do with it.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Just to show you how tall they are, here is a pic I took of the tip of one just as it is starting to bud. Notice it comes to the top of the window and almost touches the overhang to the roof.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Nifty pic, rylaff! I love my MOT's (have 3 different kinds); my kids adore seeing the babies, and I'm thrilled to have one blooming indoors! Great, miraculous plants.........but, I'll concede, you may want to watch who they neighbor w/in pots......I've never planted mine in the garden, because I don't want an army of them! =0

=) mkj

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi there! I think I sent you those. :) I'm not positive, but I think so! So thanks for the thanks and the update! Always nice to hear my babies are doing nicely. My mamma (from wence yours came) is about 6 feet tall and to the top of the window. I have no idea what it will do now! It still has a good three feet till it hits the ceiling, but since the window stops at around 6 feet there isn't a lot of light up there, I wouldn't think. I just kept staking it, turning it, etc. and now I have this "beanstalk"! She has big huge fat leaves on the bottom, looks neat. I'm surprised it's never branched or anything. So anyhow, thanks for the update!!! Glad to hear they're growing so well! :)

Jenn

P.s. they grow fast! :)

Good to hear from you greenthumber. Happy Valentines Day.

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, same to you! :)

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

SO THOSE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PLANTS, AREN'T THEY. I'M FAMILIAR WITH THE ONE THAT PUG PUT ON THE PIC BUT NOT THE OTHER . ARE THEY BOTH MOTHER'S.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

You cant see me but I am twitching. I didnt know they got THAT huge... I might be in for a real bad surprise when i move mine outside, haha. It's in full bloom with the pinky lavender flowers. So pretty!

I've started seeing babies popping up in my other house plants... I even found one growing in a bunch of dead grass I use as ornaments... I have NO idea how it could have gotten there- flew maybe? LOL

Such neat plants- but now were scared. :-O

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I wonder if they would branch out and not get so tall if they were pinched back or pruned as they grew??

Rb250, rylaff plant does look different then mine. Can there be more then one kind of "Mother of Thousands".

Azalea I haven't really studied this plant to know that much about it. I think I will look into it, because in the picture the one on the left is leaning and putting new roots on from the soil up the stem. When I find out something I will post. But maybe in the meantime there could be an expert out there that could tell us.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Azalea, they CAN be pruned to help with their height. I lopped the top off of one of mine, and two stalks grew back, just like in pinching other plants.

And, yes, 2pugdogs, there's several different types of kalanchoe MOT plants......I have K. diagremontiana, K. pinnata, and K. Houghtonii.

=) MKJ

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Which one is mine?

Thumbnail by rylaff
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Rylaff--the blooms look just like my diagremontiana.......are the leaves narrow & toothed w/dark brown or black splotches?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I think so. I actually have two different kinds side by side. the ones blooming now are as you describe. The other one has much wider leaves that are lighter green.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Are they the rounder type? A GREAT site to go and do some cultivar comparisons is Glassworks.........they've got a ton, and can help nail it down. =)

I don't care if these guys DO drop "kids" everydarnwhere, they're miraculously interesting! And those blossoms!!!

MKJ

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I like em!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hummmmmm those blooms are really beautiful, I've never had one to bloom so got rid of MOST of them! Maybe I should try a little harder and give the one I have left some TLC, but i will be pinching it this time.

rylaff, your mot is georgeous if you or mkjones should happen to have an extra baby some time keep me in mind, I would love to have a diagremontiana. Does the one I have bloom?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I assume they all do. I am sure we can scare up an extra or two.

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, had no idea they BLOOMED! Mine's been holding out on me!!!

Here's a picture of mine taken about 6 months ago. It's since gotten a little taller, though not a lot of light "up there" to it's not growing as fast as it was. So maybe I should whack it off then? Do I dare whack as low as three feet high? That's like half of her...! But I don't want it to "branch" so high, because supporting it would be a b?#$h! LOL -gt-

Thumbnail by greenthumber
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I'd whack it to about 6-8". Maybe then you could just stick sections of it in the soil to root more, if you want them. I know if you just lay the leaves on the soil, they will root easily.

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

You'd cut it that far back? Wow! I noticed it keeps rooting up the stem. I kept changing pots and changing pots, going deeper and deeper...now I have it in an umbrell pot(!) It actually got broken and I glued it back together (just the top) so now it works well as a pot. So finally I gave up and said, okay, that's a deep as I'm planting you!!! The large leaves on the bottom now are HUGE and dark green and shiney as can be....very yummy! But the further up you go the lighter green it gets (less light!). So I think I'll cut it waaaay back this week and see what happens. Not that I wouldn't have "a million more" to grow if the mamma died- LOL!!! Thanks for the advice. Now, if only I could get her to squeeze out some posies.......

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, greenthumber, I agree w/Azalea; I whacked mine in half when I "pruned" her, and it was fine. Even stuck the cutting down into the pot, and now I have a three-stalked plant. Mine budded up in sitting next to a south-facing window, getting strong morning sun, and filtered throughout the rest of the day. After budding, it took about two weeks for the blooms to open.

It really is a nice oddity to have around. =) And, you can't kill the thing.......no way...........=)

MKJ

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Always love those hardy sorts! :)

Thanks for the input! Maybe tonight I'll be calling, "Tiiiimmmmmmmbeeerrrrr"! :)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here are two that are side by side. I dont know if they are the same type, just variations , or are they different .

Thumbnail by rylaff
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmm- does cold weather affect the blooms? Mine didnt bloom last year- but this year I left it out and it got cold outside- when I got back to Florida I dug it up and brought it inside- then it bloomed and bloomed and bloomed! It's STILL blooming- I think it's been a couple months too. Hmm.
Ohh and I am getting a couple different coloured blooms on it. I was looking at it today and the petals are darker pink than the rest of the others.

And another thing, lol. If you cut the blooming top off (after it's done blooming) and root it- will it be more likely to bloom again than using say- a leaf cutting?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I may be wrong, crimsontsavo, but I think they die after blooming? Could've sworn I read that the blooms are the completion of the life cycle, which isn't a big deal since the mother plant leaves 1,876,432 baby plants behind? =)

MKJ

WOW
mkjones, that is really interesting to know. I don't think I want mine to bloom just yet. That many babies, that would make a huge family tree.

hanna, WY(Zone 4b)

Hi, My name is Yvonne and I am from Wyoming. My neice was just asking me yesterday about a plant she saw once called Mother of a thousand babies. I was just checking things out here and found this forum. Would anyone have any extra I could get for her? Let me know and we can work something out. Yvonne

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Yvonne! You can have some of mine! I have at least one that is about 4 or 6" high. I also have many, many "plantlets" I can send; all you have to do is place them on dirt in a pot they'll grow roots into the soil and sprout up. Let me know if you're interested!

Jenn :)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

yes i had one close to 5 ft bloomed loved it next i knew dead!!! i really miss her to..

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

I would be happy to send you a few. They're fun! Would you like to trade? Or just for postage? Either way's okay with me, although I have so so many plants that my hubby might kill me if I bring in even more...LOL

Jenn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.