WAL-MART Cheap Seeds

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I saw a large display of off-brand seeds that were .25 a pack. Anyone ever had success in growing these?? They look like the ones sold at Big Lots and 'dollar' stores. I have had good success with the Wal-Mart brand seeds and the other brands they sell there.

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm curious about this, too, as I noticed there were 25-cent and even 10-cent packages of seeds at Big Lots! I'm not certain I would rely on them for my veggies, but it would be fun to try some of the herbs and flowers... :)

Ripley, MS

As long as they are packed for 2005 they should be fine.
Sandra

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Well,
I just bought about 30 packs of flower and veggie seeds last night at Wallyworld. All appear to be 2005.

Wish me luck!!!!

Saint Peters, MO(Zone 6a)

I just got some of the 10 cent ones last week. Couldn't find the 25 cent ones yet.

I grew the assorted petunias last year & they did very well.
I was surprised to even get some doubles out of the mix.

I got more of the Petunias & the Morning Glory mix.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Prism,
They're at Wal-Mart.

Saint Peters, MO(Zone 6a)

oops
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post.
I did get them at Wal-Mart.
Last year I got 10 & 25 cent ones, but I only found the 10 cent ones so far this year.
Isn't it funny how different Wal-Marts have different things?

I'm probably looking too early. They are just getting their gardening stuff put out.

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

I decided to try out the ten cent seeds too. Bought the Rutgers tomato seeds.
They give you quite a few, so I sowed some last week. All nine came up in four days. They are to early to start for my zone, but the kids love the smell of the leaves. They told me it is almost like eating a tomato. I will save the rest of the packet and start them in mid March.

MIddletown, OH(Zone 6a)

I purchased the San Marzano variety of tomatoes last year for 25 cents. They were excellent, great germination, though I started them later in the spring they provided well. I prefer San Marzano tomatoes for sauces over any other. They also make a great sandwich tomato and stay on the vine a good length of time here in Southern Ohio. I went to our local Wal-Mart and they have them again this year. I was impressed.

Ripley, MS

I like the Burpee seeds that Wal-Mart has also
I got some of the Candy Cane Zinnia there I have been wishing for.
Sandra

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

catydale,

I just purchased the San Marzano paste tomato today at Big Lots for .25 cents. I always wanted to try them to see how they are, seems like I made a good choice. ☺ I also bought 5 other pkgs of seeds and all for a $1. Got some Super Marmande tomatoes, beets, pickling cukes, radish and watermelon seed. Like I need more seeds!

My daughter bought flower seeds from them last year, threw them in the ground, and I think they all came up twice!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I have grown lots of seeds from Wal-mart, Dollar Store and Big-lots they have all done great. When they are that cheap you just can't pass them up.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
When they are that cheap you just can't pass them up.

Yeah, and therein lies the problem! ☺

MIddletown, OH(Zone 6a)

Big_Red,

Hope your San Marzano seeds do well. When I have used all the ones I can stand during the summer the rest are cleaned, de-stemmed and thrown whole into large plastic bags then the freezer. There they stay until we want a big pot of chili or spaghetti sauce.

I cannot pass by a counter of 10 or 25 cent seed packets without buying at least one or two packets.

My grandfather was from Kentucky and he was a gardener.

Back of Beyond, TX(Zone 8b)

i was in Wally world about amonth ago and the ten cents and 25 cents packets were getting cleaned out realllllly quickly!

You may have just missed them.

Basically, the cheap packs are for the varieties which self-sed or make seed readily. THAT is how they cant sell em that cheap. For newer cultivars or more difficult to make-gather-collect seed, you pay more.

Also name brands are more expensive than unknown brands.

Like Sandra said, just make sur they are for the current season, not last years' or older. and even then, if you have past year's seeds laying around at home, dont be afraid to try them, just dont go buying them!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Just bought some cheap seeds from Walmart 10 cents each package. Hopefully they'll turn to be good seeds. By the way have any of you tried those Jiffy pots and if you have are they any good?

Manning, FL(Zone 9a)

I grew some of the marigolds that I got from Dollar General and really wasn't happy with them. They grew to be about 2 1/2 ft. tall and were very leggy. I was not impressed with them.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

carminator,
I used the jiffy pots this year and I don't think I'll use them again. Mine were the tray kind. They dry out too easily and seem to lose their shape.

Greenwell Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

i think the tray jiffy set-up is ****, to be quite honest with you. i just gave up on it. (i try it every year) this year it started molding really bad. ugh.

jjayroe-i don't think that was the seeds you bought, it sounds like either too much water or not enough sun. or a combination thereof.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I usually use the peat pellets, they work out better then the peat pots. they don't dry out as fast, I put marbles or pebbles in a tray and put the pellets on top (after I completely soak them) and let the go. Works out great.
Cindy

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

I was not sure what was meant by CHEAP seeds, I purchased some seeds, mater, and pepper from American Seeds from Wal-Mart for about $.25 cents, I thought that was what most intended. I also purchased a lot of other seeds from Wal-Mart, but from Burpee, like these Big Boy's, and they ran for $.97 cents per pack, and here they are, and I love the results so far.
Danny

Thumbnail by HotPepperDan
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Looking good Danny! I raised Big Boy's for several years and then went to Better Boy's instead. I think they give better yields. Let us know how you like the Big Boy's.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I thought our WW had sold all the seeds but today when I went to pick up the moisture meter I found that they had just put them in a box and pushed it out of the way to make room for the patio furniture display. .10 cents each...so I stocked up! *LOL* I'll never use all of em...anybody need veggie seeds?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

LOL!!! ANd you all should know-- Burpee backs those .97 cent seed just like thier catalog seeds! I had had a problem with some pelleted torentina (all smushed) and called -- they replaced the seed I had ordered from the catalog and in the course of conversation Ann (the rep) told me that the Walmart seeds have thier same gaurntee. Also--- I lve pretty close to thier main office and I get to go to thier greenhouses!!LOL they sell live plants part of the year- and Ann sent me directions. Even has a couple of places on it to stop for lunch-- how nice was that?

Heather

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Where is Brookhaven? Prob too far from Pgh, yes?! - Suzi :)

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

ummmm-- I think we could meet halfway! LOL!!! Near Philly. Burpee's headquaters is in Warmentser. Trust me if we were closer I would have found a way to go brick huntin with you! LOL!!!!!

Heather

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Heather,
hmmm I think it is slightly more than half way for me, 321 miles to Philly, 324 to Brookhaven... LOL Guess I will pass on that too! ~ Suzi :)

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

How long do seeds last? I have some leftover seed packs from a few years ago. Should I pitch them?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Should be ok...the date on them (run date) just means if was tested for that run year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.