St. Augustine Grass

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Does anyone grow this as a houseplant? I first saw this in one of my older gardening magazines that I had bought off ebay. I thought it was soooo neat to have. It is also mentioned on HTVG:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_grasses/article/0,1785,HGTV_3607_1372128,00.html

Does anyone have alittle piece to share?
:) Donna

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

My cat would go nutz trying to eat it! Looks interesting in the link tho!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I bet...lol! My cat is driving me crazy the last couple of days. Normally she doesn't bother my plants but yesterday and today she wants to play with little cuttings or babies. Sheesh!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

PerennialGirl,

Although St. Augustine grass grows best in full sun outside, it will tolerate shade here in Texas so it should do well in a sunny southern window. Just don't overwater. I've seen varigated St. Augustine grown indoors. It makes a lovely display.

Cats seem to be wired to go after anything that looks like grass also. My two wouldn't leave my young Beaucarnea recurvata (Pony Tail Palm) alone. I had to put it in the greenhouse. You might consider planting a pot just for your cat and place the pot you want left alone waaaay out of reach. I found that my two cats found ways to reach my palm.

BettyDee

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, BettyDee. Now I just have to find some.
Sigh....Donna

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wish I could help you here! I *had* this plant, and it did, indeed make a great houseplant. I had mine in an east window, and it did beautifully until...... it fell down off the windowsill behind a bookshelf, and I didn't notice it.....it died!

I bought mine via Ebay...have you tried searching for it on there? You can enter it into 'My favorite searches' and ebay will email you when an auction is listed.

You might want to search for it by it's botanical name, stenotaphrum secundatum.

I'd like to find this one again, too...will let you know if I do.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okie, dokie Nan! I've posted here and on another group and no takers...lol.
Good idea to check ebay. Are you a member of the US Gardenweb? If you are you can ask there and I can ask on the Canadian one.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have St Aug - what do you have to trade?

Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

lol, how many pallets do you want??? Not varigated, and the local cats seem to leave it alone...i rip this out of my beds all the time! Its my lawn!
:)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Noooo I want variegated.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Another DG member included this link in her thread:

http://www.raretropicalplants.com/new_rtp_site/home_pagex.html

She was thrilled with her purchase of a pink Philodendron. Looking through the rare tropical plants website, I noticed that he has a varigated St. Augustine grass for sale. I thought of you when I saw it.

BettyDee

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Betty. I sent them an email last night asking the price of the var. St. Augstine grass. He said for a 6 inch pot....$10.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.