ID help please!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

These 2 are the result of my trip to Lowe's today. The one on the left is Ficus elastica 'Burgundy', but I don't know the other one....anyone?

(Edited...the ficus leaves look very green in the photo, but "in person" they are almost black)

This message was edited Jan 27, 2005 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

....closer....

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The only thing that comes to my mind is "Coral Berry", but---the leaves seem a bit too large!

Don't know!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I've never seen anything like this (plant on right). Naturally the people working in the nursery there had no idea. I just love a mystery! If it helps to tell the size, the Ficus is in a 4" pot.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Kachinagirl, I've got that same plant (the one on the right), two of them actually, and I've been trying to find out the names of them for over a year. Good luck and maybe we will both get an answer.

JesseK

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

I have one, too. Came in a planter sent to our family when my grandmother died. Let me know if anyone comes up with anything. :)

-gt-

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hey all! Nan got it over in the ID forum. Ardisia crispa or crenata....not sure which at the moment...will need to check further (some ninny way back when mixed them up and there is some confusion now). I'll see what else I can find, but at least I know what it likes now! And roots are coming out the bottom of the pot, so that sure fits! Gonna take it home and repot it into something larger so it can take off!

Karen

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Just a note for those of you with this plant....

On further research I've found that mine is Ardisia crenata (A. crispa is slightly different). It will live outside in my zone but can be invasive so it will "migrate" to a large pot on my front porch this spring. Many sites listed it as non poisonous, however I found this on a Univ. of Florida page

"This plant has recently been implicated in some animal deaths. It has not been recognized as highly toxic, but can be."

Just wanted to make sure we all keep our "grazing" pets safe (another reason it's going to live on the porch!). I will add it to the Plant Files .....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.