Sweet Cherries

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most sweet cherries and indeed most fruit trees are grafted. The desired cultivar is grafted onto a plant (rootstock) that is sturdier and more disease resistant that the desired cultivar. In most cases the fruit of such plants is undesirable, which i s why you must prune off all sprounts that come out below the graft. Redhearts and Blackhearts are ancient cherries that pretty much grew wild in Virginia. They can be started from seed. They are small { less than half the size of a Bing} but even better flavor in my opinion. Blackhearts for example have that very strong black cherry flavor. Trees grow very large and were used to make furniture.

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I suppose that discounts redhearts and blackhearts, since not only can’t I find anyone selling them, a huge tree just won’t be all that feasible. That leaves Bings. My only problem there is its tendency for the cherries to split. Being that the conditions are not optimal to begin with, it might not be a good choice. Which kinda leaves me in the lurch as to which strain to go with, with regards to taste. I do think, however, after reading up on all the different root stock out there, that GS 5 would be the best. So that is half the battle. The lower half at least.

ElapheG

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

ElapheG,
I personally prefer Bing. Eating cherries fresh off the tree is a glorious experience.
Check with your local nurseries to see what they have to offer. Many fruit trees have broken dormancy already. They may not be established by the time summer arrives. There are quite a number of dwarf and semi-swarf sweet cherry trees available — important since standard cherry trees can get 25-35 feet tall. Unless they are seIf pollenating, you need two trees that can cross pollenate each other. I have purchased from Stark Bros Nursery and was very satisfied with my purchases. If you can get potted trees, transplant shock will be reduced. Here as in a number of other areas, the best time to transplant trees is in October.
BettyDee

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Anybody familiar with the Glacier strain?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Glacier -

A self fertile, very large, dark red cherry introduced and patented by Washington State University. It is crack resistant and very flavorful. On our dwarf Gisela 5 rootstock, it will produce more fruit, sooner then cherries on other rootstocks. A great self fertile backyard selection. Climate Zones: 4 to 9

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=C750G

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, after some intense investigation, It looks like Sweetheart Cherries is the winner. It is crack resistant, self fertile (both qualities are a giant +), and most importantly, it is suppose to be on par with bing with regards to taste. Raintree offers them on GS 5 rootstock another must, because of my soil. All in all, this is like a marriage, and in that vain, I will say if there is any reason the two of us should not be wed, please speak now or forever hold your peace (I'll be regestering with Raintree for those who want to send wedding gifts ;-D) . My thanks to everyone for their help and support.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

ElapheG, Alaska Rick, gave you good advice. I'm sure you will be happy with the Sweetheart on the GS 5 rootstock. I have not grown Sweethearts but have eaten them as there are a couple of commercial orchards nearby. I grow Rainier, which is my favorite, I love canned cherries in winter and the Rainier is a nice firm good tasting cherry. i also grow Lapins, a dark cherry similiar to Bing but more crack resistant. Good luck with your cherry trees. DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.