Jacaranda Tree problem?

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

My Jacaranda tree (about 4' tall) has this clearish/white waxy stuff all over it, it feels just like paraffin wax. There are specks on the main stem but the some of the branches have heavy buildup. On the older branches it turns brown. I cannot figure out what it is ! I cut the whole thing off a couple of months ago, wiped the trunk that was left, I didn't want anything to infect the rest of my plants. It grew back with no trace of the 'waxy' stuff until it got about 3' tall, that's about the same time it happened before I whacked it. It looks healthy other than that, no unusual leaf drop, color is good.....
Could it be heat and humidity making it exude some substance? Is it some sort of scale ?? The room it's in has a 1000w hps light which heats it up in there, usually around 85 or so during the day with 60-80% humidity.
I've looked and looked to no avail so thanks for any help you may give !

This message was edited Jan 8, 2005 3:55 PM

Thumbnail by Plant_Madness
Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

Trunk

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

Brown stage
Sorry about the yellowness of the pics, the flash didn't override the yellow of the hps light.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

How long have you had the plant? They are an outdoor tree here and lose all of their leaves. If it ever stops raining, I will go investigate a couple of trees and see what I find.

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

I've had it for about a year and a half, grew it from an itty bitty seedling. It was going to be a bonsai subject ..... I got a little busy. One of these days I'll get to it! :P
It grows rapidly, I cut it back about 2-3 months ago down to about 6-8" of trunk. Now it's over 3' tall with multiple branches.
Thanks for you help.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, I do not know what to tell you. All of the specimens that I have to compare to around here are mature trees that have bark and are bare of leaf in what passes for winter in San Diego. I got rid of the one I had in my yard because I got tired of cleaning up after the darned thing. They are always shedding something. Sorry. I hope you find your answer.

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it. The search will continue.
Cris

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have it on my list of things to look at the next time I go to the "real" nursery.
Janice

Las Cruces, NM

I have the same thing on my Jacaranda tree main trunk at the top. Did not notice it until I brought it indoors for the winter. Tree is about 1-1/2 years old living in a large pot. I took some of the substance off and looked under a microscope but it just looked like wax. Wondering if anyone has found out what this growth is and what to do about it. Thanks! Marlene

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the second picture shows some kind of scale. i'm not familiar with scale types in your area but normally scale must be dealt with by spraying a garden oil on them to totally kill them. with a small tree/plant, i've found that a generic cooking spray (think Pam) works extremely well. when spraying with any kind of oil, keep the plant out of direct sun until it wears off. with a deciduous plant, wait until all the leaves fall and then spray the tar out of it! clean up any debris.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

My first thought was scale, also, but the new growth does have brown spots sometimes. If those brown spots are bumps that can be squished, it's scale, and some do have a waxy coating.

Moscow, Russia

I know that's a pretty old post but I got the same things with my jacarandas. After some research and practical treatment I was able to cure it.

In my case it was probably kind of _root mealybug_ (rhizoecus). Their nests can be mistaken as salt spray or mold in the ground pot.

{quote}
How to prevent pests - when transplanting a plant, you need to carefully examine the roots. When pests are found disinfect the pot (scald with boiling water), gently clean the roots of the old earth, rinse the plant roots in insecticide solution and plant in fresh soil. If there is no possibility to transplant the flower, it is necessary to pour the earth with systemic insecticides penetrating into the vessels of the plant, and causing the death of pests.
{quote}

I have used Actara Insecticide:
http://www.syngenta-us.com/insecticides/actara
https://www.syngenta.co.uk/product/crop-protection/insecticide/actara

Also this insecticide can help: Confidor Garden Insecticide
https://theplanthub.com.au/garden-accessories/confidor-garden-insecticide.php
http://www.saudi-arabia.cropscience.bayer.com/en/Products/Insecticides/Confidor-SC-350.aspx

More info about these mealybugs:
https://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fiplants.ru%2Fpseudococcus.htm&edit-text=&act=url

Thumbnail by vlad13 Thumbnail by vlad13
Beverly Hills, CA

Hello! I am having the same growth on my young Jaca and I was pretty confident it was just new bark growing. The tree is happy, flowering, and springing new growth every day.

Are we sure this is pests or disease?

Thumbnail by MrsHerbivorous Thumbnail by MrsHerbivorous Thumbnail by MrsHerbivorous Thumbnail by MrsHerbivorous
Bialystok, Poland

So, what happend with your trees? I have the same problem (?)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sad thing about dated old posts, most folks never return after posting...years pass by...

Chanhassen, MN

I have grown Jacaranda trees from seed and every time i bring them in for the LONG winter (Minnesota), they erupt with this gross waxy goop. I have no idea what it is but, i use a spray that is a mix of oils and it seems to get rid of it. I presume neem oil would work, but I use an organic gardening spray that is a mix of Cinnamon, thyme and peppermint oil. The brand is Maggie’s farm, 3 in 1 gardening spray. I do hate using it though because it seems to stunt the new growth. It is very frustrating because outside the trees thrive. When I bring them in, in about a week, it is covered. I have lost many trees so if anyone has another suggestion, please post it!

San Antonio, TX

I have the same problem with young Jacarandas I just brought inside. It's not only on the trunk but also runs down the leaf stem. The leaves above the waxy stuff seem to be droopy and shriveled. My trees started shedding their leaves as soon as I brought them inside but i'm not sure if it is at all related to the exudate on the trunk. I noticed it on both trees at the same time and almost immediately so I'm not sure if it started outside or not. I may stick them back outside and just protect them from freezing since they did ok last winter outside on the porch as seedlings. I was hoping that bringing them in would be beneficial but it's not looking good. Also I wonder if anyone has had any issue with the leaves being really pale green. We have very hard water here and alkaline soil but the trees are in potting soil and I'm only using rain water so I don't think it's related to pH. The trees seemed healthy otherwise and grew well until I brought them inside a couple of weeks ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.