Wanted any info on Gel Propagation

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

OK Donna... will be waiting to see the results! (fingers crossed it works)

Gup

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks!
:) Donna

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Rebecca Knolls on Rebecca's Garden demonstrated the use of the crystals one day on her show. She took the crystals, added water, waited until they swelled and then added to her container. She said they were reusable. I was tossing mine out with the soil. Now I save them after I have used them in my containers and then just rejuvenate them and the soil with compost and with added fresh soil. Linda

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It looks as if a bunch of exciting experimentation was going on in this old thread -- can anyone report on how the various experiments turned out?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Mine all rotted.
Sidney

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine rotted too!
Fran

LOL, that was quick!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh well! You saved me a lot of trouble, for which I thank you! Now I want to figure out whether there is a difference in efficacy between Clonex, Olivia's and Wilson Roots (which is Canadian, and though not expensive, triggers expensive shipping fees).

Well for most, good ole Rootone has worked very well for me. You can get it anywhere.
Sidney

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

With my seedlings this year I am using a coco fibre for "soil", in a few egg cartons, in a plastic pan, I have been watering with a diluted solution of miracle grow. When they are ready to transpant I will use the enhanced version of miracle grow soil, it has the coco fibre, food and all that good stuff, I will sterilize it, haven't decided via oven, microwave or boiling water method, but I will change my watering to one cup of peroxide to a gallon of water. This is suppose to really stop the dampining off and help with the nats.
So far my babies look great, they are a month old and just starting their second set of leaves...
now let us Pray!
Fran

Fran,
What are you growing? If the Miracle grow potting soil is fresh and not used you dont want to sterilize. The new sack of soil should be fresh and sterile.
Sounds like you are off to a great start.
Sidney

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sidney
Streaked Hosta seed... The soil is new and fresh, but I have read it is NOT sterile.. I have never gotten a seed to even think about a second leaf, but today I see a second leaf buds and a few have these oh so tiny leaves. I ALWAYS get the damping off sydrom.. so I will try the sterilize method.. I am leaning toward the boiling water vs all other methods, mainly because I don't want to smell cooking dirt or melting perilite. I really have to try something new and hope it works this time, there are some beautiful streaked leaves I am seeing.

Fran

Greensboro, AL

Frans530: 1 c of H2O2 per gallon of water may be too much for watering plants:
These were the instructions for adding H2O2 to an acquarium set up (Heathrjoy)

"Now, here's the thing that most folks don't know. Too much H2O2 is really bad. It attaches to organic material, sucks the moisture out of it, then creates heat. How this applies here is that it will rot your cuttings if you put too much in your Bubbler or add it too often. 1 Tablespoon of H2O2 per Quart (4 cups) of water once per week is enough."

If you have damping off, you probably do not have enough air circulation, your soil is too heavy, or not sterile. I have been using 1/2 cactus mix, 1//2 perlite and watering with 1T
hydrogen peroxide 3% solution per 4 c water. Best to used distilled, or rainwater if your water source is problematical. The only trouble Ive had, is I put a pot of thyme I bought from Walmart in with my plants. The whole crop was infested. Had to start over.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks you Gloria.. those are good tidbits and I am glad you noticed I had the H202 wrong. Maybe in addition I should put the little fan near my plants for circulation?

Fran

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a brug cutting that has been sitting in water for a few months. I really want it to root. It hasn't. But it has put out leaves. Should I add fertilizer? Should I put it in dirt with rooting gel?

Greensboro, AL

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question557.htm

Jello, or gelatin is not the same thing as propagating gel such as Olivia's. Propagating gel is a polyacrylamide copolymer as sugarweed points out above. Jello, is made from gelatine which is extracted from animal bones and connective tissue (see link). This is why vegetarians are so traumatized, when they find them selves in a hospital only to be served a quivering bowl of pink or green cow hooves!ll

Greensboro, AL

P.S. I have used Olivia's and other gels for seed starting. It is amazing for germinating seeds, but you have to get them into some other medium right away because the seeding starts to use up the hydration in the gel. Then the seedling is dead before you can get it where it needs to be. I decided other methods of germinating seedlings are more effective of getting them on to growing plants without damping off. Too many extra steps to use the gel. The crystals used to be available in the floral supply section of stores - including Walmart. Often died weird colors. I think it is used to keep cut flowers in condition for display. This thread has been very interesting.

Louisville, KY

Olivias Gel is awesome. I get great results and fast rooting with it. I will use the Oliva's Solution and water my cuttings once a week with it until I get roots. I have never tried seeds that way though..thats a good idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.