Hybrid Tall Bearded Seedlings - Part 2

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, John! John, I'm curious-what languages do you speak/understand? (I'm terrible at learning languages myself, but I always have linguists around me.)

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Belgium is half French/ half Flemish! Ilive at the Flandres so i speek Flemish( sound like dutch) But flemish got lots of dialects. Because we are living near the dutch border our flemish dialect is understandeble for the dutch, but i speek dutch to for my job; aswell french( not 100%); german( i proud to say very well)and english( aswell in wrighting as you could read, hah haa)
I speek it better than wrighting, for some words i need a dictionary to spel them right. And still i am making failures. But this forums are a quick shool to me :)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

John - you do very well on your English! As long as you are able to make your point understood that is what is important. Besides, have you seen some of the English on these websites?? Gosh!! Makes the US English teachers in schools shudder, I am sure. :-D

sssst Bren, others read that too, lol

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

I was born here almost 63 years ago and
can not spell half of what I can speak ? LOL

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh, yes I know John! snicker-snicker-snort-guffaw They know I'm just giving them a ribbing. Have you seen some of my posts? MY english teacher is rolling her eyes I'm sure! A little colloquialism can be all the difference in personality (especially here on DG). Magpye and Horseshoe are queen and king of local jargon!!!

i don't survive this.............lol...........you got humor Patty

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ooooooo I forgot about Queen Tazzy too!

I r dum.
I majored in Klingon ,instead of English.

Wow John. Always so impressed by the many languages a European learns. I'm impressed and a bit jealous since it doesn't come easy for me.

Here's my birdfeeder by the door.

Thumbnail by boojum

i wanna have one like that too, but it's not possible with all the cats here.
And birds and cats don't go together :-(
I love them all.........look at our two rodeo rangers

Thumbnail by John_Benoot

Oh! I used to have lutino cockatiels, but when I went back to school they went ballistic and started biting everyone, so I had to give them to a more attentive home. Bijou, the male, sang the "Cuckoo Song" from Laurel and Hardy while he danced up and down. He taught my friend's cockatiel who stayed over one week. It was hysterical to watch them. I miss their antics, but my bengalese finches are low maintenance and sing sweetly whenever I say hello. So much for the bird aside. Here was one of my iris stars this summer-Sonja's Selah.

Hmm. Where'd the photo go??? I'll try again.

Thumbnail by boojum

Much better. Does anyone know the name of this beauty?

Thumbnail by boojum
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

John, I'm impressed with you knowing 4 languages. I've heard the more languages one knows - the less likely you'll come down with alzheimers disease. Even if someone knows only two languages - it helps. I love your photo of the cockatails - - they look like they can cause all kinds of mischief!! Do they?

Boojum................... I have my eye on Sonja's Selah. That is a beauty. Is it a tall Bearded? I wish I could help you with the name of the other one you have posted there. But....... I don't know that one. Does Sonja's Selah grow well? Is it a good increaser?

Tazzy, you are SO funny!! I love reading the clever things you say. How long have you been a iris judge?

Margie

Margie 10 years i think ?

Margie, my Sonja isn't terribly tall (12" to 24" in the DB PlantFile), and it's a border bearded, but it was a happy bloomer the first year here. We'll see how it grows! It's one of my very favorites.

Thumbnail by boojum

Well Margie thats a relief, because i was convinsed alzheimers disease already started.
I act to it from time to time :-o
Some say no no John not alzheimers........but much worse than that!!
What are friends for i should say :-(

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tazzy, once upon a time I thought about becoming an iris judge. I must have about 5-7 judging sessions under my belt. But............then I thought to myself with all that traveling I'd have to do during bloom season to judge shows, I wouldn't have the time to properly cross and evaluate the up and coming seedlings. What is your experience concerning this since you have seedlings too?

Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

boojum, let us know how it grows and blooms this spring. I can grow Border Beardeds here, and so Sonya's Selah may just end up being on my wish-list. I can see why it's one of your favorites........ it sure is a lovely iris!!

John, we all act like we have alzheimers disease from time to time. It's the only way to stay sane. It's just our brain taking a little nap, I think. (big grin) It sounds like you have a great circle of frends. They'll keep you "on your toes".. ............ no need to worry getting about alzheimers disease with them around - teasing you like that!! .Hmmmmmmm......... I think my brain needs a little nap.

Margie

It comes out bad and i am thinking of not doing it any more
I have been sick and DH is sick and I miss my shows ,
can not really travel right now so
I think I will probably not do it again
would recommend any one who is thinking about
hybridizing to go to the schools
it will help you be a better hybridizer .

lol, Margie

Pat, we dont have such a school, that would be something good

I can get you the Judges hand book have to ck price it what all Judges and go by and I'm sending you some info on international iris people .

Look Margie, here is a better pic of a historic i posted a while ago.
I knew i had it burned on a disc somewhere, i am so happy finding it.
But i'm still looking for some others

Thumbnail by John_Benoot
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow!! That's a nice one John. I'm glad you were able to find it, and I hope you can find the others too. I probably should back up my photos, so if this happens to me - - I won't lose them all either. Do you remember the name of that Historic? Do you grow many Historics?

Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tazzy, I'm glad you told me what you did. I *thought* trying to do both jobs would not work too well. I picked up a Judges Handbook about 2 years ago, and I'll keep attending the judges sessions - - so I can better my hybridizing skills. Thanks for the good advice!!! Do you have any other suggestions?

Margie

Get all the R&I books and look up parent of crosses
and their parents and you can see where
some of the dog genes pop up back three four
generations .saves a lot of wasted crossing .

I got 5 or 6 historics i'm sorry Margie i lost names during my childhood and some were added without knowing it's name(gifts from friends)
Soon i will see the lady of the nursery in the Netherlands, the one i've givin youthe link to. I will aks her i she knows them she got lots of historics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.