Hybrid Tall Bearded Seedlings - Part 2

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Good question

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

One year our local iris society desperately needed some iris to show. I was always a member but never did any shows. Well some iris had gone by early south of us and some hadn't opened north of us and mine were blooming and I had bought them from my friend in the iris society. So they came over to my house which was two blocks from the show, identified them (they had moved a ways from their markers), told me how to cut them, and carry them and I won a bunch of ribbons-even best in show for a graminea. Guess I couldn't do much damage in 2 blocks. They told me "you weren't sposta beat us." Oopsie! And no one has asked me to show since!! :)
PS We're all friends, though.

Thumbnail by boojum
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Good for you.That's a very cool story.Jody

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dan, I really like your Liaison X Conjuration cross. (sibling of 03-24m). What I see that is intriguing is a light pale yellow halo at the top of the standards. Have you thought about doing a self cross with it - - to bring out this characteristic? It sure is a nice one!!

I also liked your Cowabunga X Local Color cross. It looks vogorous and healthy. The form should improve by it's second year too. I'll be curious to see how it does for you this year.

Margie

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 1:03 PM

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is a seedling - - it's another one from the (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x "Fights of Fancy" cross. And a sibling to some of those I posted way above. I like the color combination and blend in the standards on this one.
# SHFOF 02-05-3

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:20 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one is from the same cross too. Look at the brown/golden veining running through it! I was really amazed at the different offspring from this cross.
# SHFOF 02-12-7

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 1:09 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one is from the same cross too.
#SHFOF 02-2-1

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

boojum, how did you transport? Inquiring mind would like to know?

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 1:57 PM

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tazzy - - I really liked your "Emn. seedling x queen in calico x ghost story" seedling! That's real shame it died! One of mine did that too. After it died I called it "Here today, Gone tomorrow". LOL

Of the other two who had the same parents (Enm. seedling x Queen in Calico xClean Shaven), I liked the top one best (the goldend colored one). I liked the blend I see on the falls, and it looks to be a vigorous plant, is it? What do you think of it? Is it a worthy plant?

Gosh, so long ago (at least 10 years) I don't remember. I guess I was slightly hysterical that I was actually showing something, so I didn't absorb what they told me. I can ask my friend again. Hey, it's mid winter and I don't think I pose a threat, do you?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I just know every time I take iris to friends they are a mess my the time I get there! Plenty of time before I have worry about it again! Snowing hard here!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is another view of # SHFOF 02-12-7 in a clump. And Believe it not - - the clump existed for it's first year bloom. Very, very vigorous plant.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Did you feed them something special?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

By the third day - - The veining in this one #SHFOF 02-12-7 has lightened to more of a golden tan. see photo (The veining when it first opens is of kind of dark)

Thumbnail by Margiempv

Wow, lovely. I adore vigor in irises. Wimpy makes me mad. They also match the snow outside my window. Wouldn't it be great if flowers bloomed through the winter (I know, I know, they do in warm climates! I have a friend in mexico who would love for us to move there so my "gardening talent could be year round.") But here, here in New England (stomping my foot). This feels like I'm in a four year old fantasy world. Miss those fantasies before reality starts to take over.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hooked, I didn't feed them anything different than all their siblings around them. It seems that genetically this one recieved the ability to be a very, very vigourous grower.

As for transporting irises to shows: I put mine in big 5 gallon buckets of water with empty paper towel tubes to separate and keep the flowers from breaking each other apart as they are traveling to the show or to my parents house, or where-ever. AND you have to drive slower and not make any quick stops or - - you may as well turn around and go back home. LOL

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 2:00 PM

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Boojum, I like vigor too..............that are able to make it through winters better, and rot better (if it should occur). (So far no rot on this one yet) Maybe someday - - iris and other flowers may bloom through the winter. That would be nice!

Here is another shot of #SHFOF 02-12-7.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Margie,
LOL Thanks for the info.! Guess we are all the the same boat when it comes to transporting!

Margie that is a glorious photo and flower. And to think you made it. That's as close to a four year old's fantasy as I can imagine!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Dan - I just love that Liaison X Conjuration cross. (sibling of 03-24m)!!!! That vibrant purple edge on the falls just does it for me against the deep purple falls.

Margie - love the sibling to # SHFOF 02-12-7 that you posted after with the deep purple falls. Is that faint purple blush on the styles or standards? Gorgeous!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Margie... Great seedling from the (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x "Flights of Fancy" cross. The one with the buff and violet standards. I've really been drawn to that color blend this year. I 've always liked Flights of Fancy. I have some Gene Machine X Flights of Fancy seedlings that sprouted this past spring... hope they turn out as nice as yours.

Here's a close-up of the Liasion X Conjuration cross showing the faint halo on the tips of the standards. Thanks for the self cross suggestion... I would like to improve on the halo.

Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

langbr... Thank You for the nice comments... Dan

Zac, love those tips!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

langbr, concerning the sibling to # SHFOF 02-12-7 that I posted after (with the deep purple falls - seedling #SHFOF 02-2-1): Yes, there is a faint blush on the style arms AND on the standards. It bloomed for the first time this year. It posed well for it's picture. (smiles)

Boojum, thanks for your kind words. Seeing fantasies come true is really neat. I hope you see many of them. :-)

Dan, I edited some of these seedling pics to put their seedlings numbers up. The seedling with the buff and violet standards - # SHFOF 02-05-3 caught my eye too when I first saw it bloom. I don't recall seeing many irises out there that have that purple flush up the standards, do you? I'll watch it more closely this year, to see what it's habits are. Thank you for your comments. Any suggestions you - - feel free to write them. :-)

And Dan - - Wow. Love the close-up of the Liasion X Conjuration cross showing the faint halo on the tips of the standards. I'd be really interested in how it's babies turn out if you should self-cross it. Is it a pretty good grower overall?
Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This seedling is still another sibling in the same cross as many of the above. (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x "Fights of Fancy" cross. I liked all the colors going on with it.

The thread is getting rather long again, so if it's OK with all of you I'm going to continue it in "part 3".
Click here to go to Part 3. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/477423/

Seedling #02-10-C

This message was edited Jan 8, 2005 12:10 AM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

guys i was away for less than a week, i missed so much! I have to catch this up during the following days. searched in germany at different places for books on irises but found nothing. But almost every flowershop i passed got a shoot from my camera :)
No irises!!! but tulips

Thumbnail by John_Benoot
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wondered where you had gotten off to this past week, John. Sounds like a great trip.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

We're glad you're back John. Nice photo! I can almost see those tulips opening. (smiles)

Love that photo. So full of the burst to come. Here is a photo with my new camera (Panasonic Lumix) of a slower burst. It's a cattleya orchid I bought myself for Xmas.

Thumbnail by boojum
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very lovely photo, showing nice details. What kind of camera did you get?
Margie

I bought a panasonic lumix dmc-fz20. Just learning.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Booj I am drooling that is WOW AND WOW , ((drooling ))

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

How many mega-pixels does it have, boojum? Seems to give you nice sharp photos. Any special lenses on it?

Boojum, i know what you mean about buying your own presents(for that are mostly plants)
So last year my kids wanna surprise my and covered my eyes by entering our home, and when i opend them our livingroom was turned into a jungle. They had spend every penny they had saved on flowers and plants. I didn't knew if i would laugh are cry, but they meant it so well. I was happy to hear that i could share them(the ones i didn't like, LOL)with others. If not i had to build an extra greenhouse, lol

Nice orchid too!!!

Wanna invite you all at this thread i started: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/477933/
So you will know where i was the past week ;-)

This message was edited Jan 10, 2005 8:21 PM

This camera has a leica lens with a built in macro, but I also sharpen photos on my Photoshop program. Funny story about the plants, John. I enjoyed the Germany photos, too. Reminded me of St. Stephens in Vienna.

Soon i will put some pics of the historic village nearby where i live: Brugge

Oh. We were planning to go to Brugge one year but the plan fell through : ( My sister raved about it. She's been twice. Can't wait to see your photos.

Well Mary i live at 10 min driving from there

If I ever get there I want to visit your gardens!!

o but that's a must

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.